Martin D-18

Started by DAWard, May 11, 2017, 11:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have always been a big fan of Larrivee L series guitars.  I have an L-05 which I wouldn't take anything for.  That said, I've never cared for their D series models.  I recently purchased a Martin D-18 and am very impressed with the changes they have made.  It is an articulate guitar which responds well to a soft touch or a good pounding.  You can hear each individual note and it rings forever.  Well worth taking one for a test ride.

Agreed.

I have a 2012 Martin D-18 (made right after the updates/changes), and it is an incredible guitar. Everything you said, and I hear every string ring out, the bass is powerful, but not muddy (I have a D-35 that sounds muddy in the bass by comparison), and I love the neck profile and 1 3/4" nut. The set up on mine (purchased used) is excellent, plays like a dream.

Also, excellent woods and craftsmanship throughout (there's a thread about mine further down on this page). Probably the best $1400 I'll ever spend for a mahogany acoustic.

:nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Sounds like Martin is following someone else's lead. Hmm,,,now who might that be?  :whistling:
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I agree on the new D-18.  I recently acquired one and the neck shape (very similar to the Larrivee), 1-3/4" nut width, and quality of build is excellent.  It is similar to the Larrivee 03 series - no bling but high quality and great value.  I wish I had paid only $1,400 though  -    :crying:

Chas

Quote from: Chasjax on May 12, 2017, 12:43:05 PM
I agree on the new D-18.  I recently acquired one and the neck shape (very similar to the Larrivee), 1-3/4" nut width, and quality of build is excellent.  It is similar to the Larrivee 03 series - no bling but high quality and great value.  I wish I had paid only $1,400 though  -    :crying:

Chas

Yeah, mine was used, but in completely MINT condition, and with an upgraded Martin case - purchased it from another lefty player on the Martin forum... I think he was anxious to sell because he was upgraded to one of their more "custom" D-18's - maybe the GE? It was indeed a great deal - just got it around 3-4 months ago. It has quickly become my #2 right behind my '92 Larrivee OM-05.

Congratulations on picking a winner with your new D-18. It's interesting that my favorite songwriter Gordon Lightfoot uses a D-18 from the late 40s as his go to 6 string guitar.

While I love my parlor, I agree that the L body is Larrivee's best body style and if memory serves it is Jean Larrivee's design.

I would be interested in hearing your description in the differences between your D-18 and your L05.

Teh,

Describing a sound is difficult because we must use terms from the other senses – but I will give it my best shot. 

My L-05 is very well balanced with plenty of head-room before it breaks up.  It responds better to flatpicking than to finger style and sounds 'full' but more in an enclosed way versus the D-18.  It has great note separation and is a bit more mid-range than the Martin.  I consider it to be like a good friend who listens well and speaks even better.  I know every time I pick it up, that I might fail it, but it will never fail me.

The D-18 has more of a 'let's get this party started' feel to it.  It responds very well to a soft touch but when pushed, will break up in a good way like an over-driven tube amp does (think Stephen Stills 'Black Queen' for example).  The note articulation is as good as the L-05 but more top and bottom presence.  The Larrivee has more overtones and is a bit richer as a result.

Within the last few years my preference has changed to mahogany over rosewood.  I am fortunate to have owned a lot of guitars during my 54 years of playing and compare the two above to those I had from the same makers: Martin D-35, D-35s and a D-28.  Larrivee L-09, LV-09, D-09 and P-09.  The two I have now are the best of their respective lots.

Regards,

David

Quote from: DAWard on May 13, 2017, 12:51:47 PM

Within the last few years my preference has changed to mahogany over rosewood. 

I've noticed this as well. My #1 and #2 guitars currently are my OM-05 and my D-18. I do like my D-35, but it doesn't have the clarity and punch of the D-18. [EDIT: I also have a 2015 J-45 that I like - it's not as good as the D-18; just different, and I think it needs to open up/mature a bit more and it will also come into its own.]

Your description of your L-05 reflects what I've noticed (I have a C-10 in Silver Oak). I believe the narrow waist and size can be an advantage for L-bodies guitars in rosewood (L-09, etc.); I have a '79 L-19 on the way to me, and it seems to have these qualities. I played it briefly when I bought it, but it was right-handed then, and I couldn't give it a full "audition." But it sounded good enough that I bought it and am having it converted to lefty - hope to have it by June 1.

The "new" (post 2012) D-18 is one of Martin's best instruments, and certainly best "bang-for-buck" guitars. I know there are guys who like the GE's and the Authentics (the guy I bought mine from was "upgrading" to one of those), but I see no need to spend a lot more money for what might be a little more of "it".

I like the specs and tone of the D-18 so much, I'm thinking (down the road a piece) of ordering a Custom Shop Martin 0000-size guitar with D-28 woods and specs (top shading, trim, neck and nut shape, etc.).

I think I mentioned this in my other thread on my D-18, but I'll revisit it here: I also have a D-03 with Italian Spruce top. It's a nice guitar, but the D-18 has more clarity and punch without getting out of focus.

I also mentioned that the Larrivee D-03's body is larger than the D-18. It's noticeable: the upper bout is around 1/2 - 3/4" wider and the lower bout is 3/4 - 1" wider than the D-18. The bodies are nearly identical in depth. I've wondered if this extra "air" contributed to the lack of focus on the D-03 (which is a 2010 build) - I don't know.

Just some more observations and information.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee