Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LS-4 Neck needed...anyone? ....class?  (Read 1331 times)
mr.clean

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »

Just got this gorgeous Larrivée LS4 guitar with the carved flamed maple cap and optional EMGs. A few strums and l managed to snap the neck CLEAN off. If anyone knows of a neck for this it would be very much appreciated.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:38:41 PM »

If its a clean break it may be repairable.Can we get a pix of the break?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
mr.clean

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:01:45 PM »

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply...here is the aftermath...
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:04:23 PM »

A few strums and l managed to snap the neck CLEAN off.

A few strums after just getting the guitar from a shop that professionally set it up. Were you facing Clayton Kershaw  

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
mr.clean

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »

LOL! Do you think he beaned my guitar on purpose? If so I'm booking a flight down there so I  can charge the mound (hopefully he won't notice the huffing and puffing on my end by the time I get there!
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 10:27:14 PM »

Well its repairable,done right and it won't break there again.There will be some cosmetic work needed but glue it up and tune it up and use it until you find a Larrivee neck to replace it or check out Allparts.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
mr.clean

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:00:16 PM »

Very good advice! I have done some refinishing and can make a Larrivée decal but there will always be the hairline crack on the natural-finish back. I think it will need epoxy, eh?
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 11:52:03 PM »

Very good advice! I have done some refinishing and can make a Larrivée decal but there will always be the hairline crack on the natural-finish back. I think it will need epoxy, eh?

I think Titebond (or similar) is typical, and when properly cured, the glue joint will be stronger than the wood.

Ed
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 12:36:22 AM »

ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy  NO EPOXY........EVER

Woodglue will do the job.If I can help and I know I can PM,email or call me and I'll talk you thru it.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
mr.clean

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »

Couldn't answer last night but at least I can say "Thanks" this morning for the kind offers and advice. I have repaired a cracked neck (Ibanez) and a broken neck (Fenix Les Paul) in the past with very good results but always appreciate different ideas, methods, and strategies. I will be PM-ing you Barefoot Rob for your take on this disaster. I have Titebond and horsehide glues but certainly would not use the latter and now, from you folks' advice, will not use the epoxy. Having more than enough guitars already I thought this one would be a revenue-generator but now that I have done the unthinkable I will probably end up keeping it for myself.

Going slightly off-topic, I have never owned a Larrivee acoustic but just wanted to say that I have a Sawchyn SD-85 dreadnought which is a very, very fine instrument. It was easily the best-sounding acoustic I had ever heard but since I bought her in '98 there has been a certain Larrivee and a certain Taylor that have been its equal in tone quality. Those belong to persons I used to work with who have since retired. The Taylor owner has passed but I am going to contact the Larrivee owner to see which particular model he has and pass it on here.
mr.clean

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »

Here is the Sawchyn I mentioned and a jumbo I picked up 2 years ago; the 2 pieces of its top were separated before I picked it up near Winnipeg for $400. I worked with it for awhile before a fella nicknamed "Jake" (used to work for Larrivée and plays bass for Kenny Shields of "Streetheart" whenever he goes on the road) alerted me to the fact that someone glued in cleats to repair the separation but did so BEFORE getting the two halves back together!!! I have been able to remove the cleats for the most part (long story but they were actually epoxied on) but am getting Mr. Sawchyn to do the rest of the repair.
Jeff
mr.clean

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »

Just want to do a shout out to Barefoot Rob...this gentleman really and truly knows his stuff...a veritable guitar guru. Very impressive. I feel more than confident going forward. Thanks alao to Ed for the additional Titebond vote. What was a heartbreaking day yesterday will turn into something good as I will no doubt keep this axe for a long time. After years of classical and Gretsch goodness mayhaps it is time to reconnect with the speedburner shreddierific past some of us share, if for no other reason than the benefits to dexterity. All that is missing personally is all the hair! rolleye
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »

Rob is the fellow to listen to.

Ed
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 01:04:09 PM »

I have a neck and parts for you, (or anyone) who needs various parts for older Larrivee electric guitars.
 I also have a couple complete older Larrivee guitars for sale.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
mr.clean

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »

How much are you needing for the neck with the tuners only, or with just the neck itself?
Thanks,
Jeff
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 05:26:36 AM »

I've decided to keep the guitar intact, and sell as a complete LS4.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
mr.clean

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 04:17:05 AM »

Thanks, anyway...you got my hopes up but the repaired neck is holding up perfectly. One of the black Schaller M6L Mini tuners needs replacing and then the neck will be refinished this summer. Thanks much all.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: