Can anyone guess the value of my 80s RS-4?

Started by mr.clean, April 29, 2017, 02:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi, I love all the intel on here! My brother had an earlier bolt-neck 3 single pickups Larivée for many years then gave it to his son. I have this one and am wondering what it might be worth? It seems to be a seafoam green with EMGs, Larivée-branded licensed Floyd trem, carved top and flamed maple cap. There are a few small divots here and there. It is dusty and getting a pro setup at the moment

One more pic for now

Thanks! Re: "LS4 CM" that means Strat-type Carved Maple with the Humbucker/single/single configuration?

I was just reading somewhere; mine is the neck-through version as opposed to the bolt-on so would this then be an RS-4?

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote from: mr.clean on April 29, 2017, 04:22:29 PM
I was just reading somewhere; mine is the neck-through version as opposed to the bolt-on so would this then be an RS-4?

If its neck- thru its an R as you stated
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

RE Value :?

Well OK  it depends where you are. These seem to be more coveted in Europe. Often see >1000 euro there. But here in Canada/US you'd be fortunate to get $1000 CAD. Heck i'd say closer to $750 then $1000. Now if it was mine I'd never sell for that as you'd never find an equal non Larrivee for that kind of money. Just my opinion BUT Kevin (Headsup) may have a better idea as he seems to be doing a lot of sales "research" of late
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

When you enlarge the first photo, this sure looks like a bolt-on.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Whoops! I feel so stupid! Yes, it's a bolt-on neck! LS-4???!!! Sorry, overtired and way too much going on this weekend. That really takes the value down, I would guess. This is actually not even in my hands yet...it is mine if I want it at $400 Canadian taxes in. I put $60 down on her at a local music store. I know it is worth that and would love to have it but have too many axes and really only play classical these days. If a person has no problem shipping to Europe is there a buck to be made to finance something else or should I get my deposit back? Really appreciate everyone's time and maybe I can pay it forward in the future.
Jeff

Maple capped LS-04 in good shape professionally gone over by a credible shop IMO is very attractive deal at $400CAD - I'd do it if it was Halifax for sure. Doubt you have a nicer sub $1000 axe in your stable?

As far as shipping to Euro to make a buck - I'd have no real idea, there could be VAT issues etc for a buyer there that are avoided if the guitar is already there. Better left for insight from our Euro friends.

The LS is a very very nice guitar, it is less coveted than the RS to some degree but the maple capped are a step above the "regular" LS we mainly see. It really shows the craftsmanship of Larrivée electrics by the late 80's

Thanks again, Joyce. I would still like it and than a pang of guilt hit me this morning; a buddy/co-worker has been looking for the "right" tremolo guitar for awhile and I have a feeling this would be the sort of thing he is after. I will pick it up and offer it to him for the $400 and if for some reason he doesn't like it I will put it up online or here. Haven't played it yet but am sure it is a goodie.

Well, now I've really done it. Took the LS-4 from the store straight to work for my friend to take home for the weekend. Took it out to give it a try (very, very low action) and carefully set it down to open up the case for transport to my buddy's office. Faintly heard a noise, looked up and there was the Larrivée on its way down to the floor...WHAMMMM!!! The headstock is completely broken off at the Floyd nut! I'm a complete idiot. This has never happened before but there is certainly a lesson here for me. First thing next week I will commence the repair. In the meantime I may keep an eye out for a neck...I should probably start a new thread on that, correct?
Jeff

Oh no :crying:
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

My co-worker buddy and I are BOTH really ticked off at me right now!  Actually I HAVE broken necks before now that I think of it and the shock is over. The first time was doing the Steve Vai over-the-shoulder trick with a Fenix Mona Lisa; I had done it live many times using a wireless and at home one day I thought I should maybe tighten the strap pins to avoid any guit-astrophies. After doing that properly I tried the around-the-world in the living room and the guitar let go, breaking into 3 pieces on the carpet. A friend is a finish-carpenter and over 24 beer on a hot July day he put Humpty back together in his shop and while we were at it I got him to change the angle of the set neck beast more to my liking. I then had a local GM automotive body shop that my brother-in-law works at do the paint (a 2001 Ford Mustang colour called "Electric Green") and I still use it. The other time I had an original 1978 Paul Stanley Iceman and was carrying by the strap from one part of my folks' living room to another; it was about 2 inches off the carpet when a pin let go and the set neck broke off. An auto-body guy in their home town fixed it for me but sadly it never seemed the same so I sold it. :crying: :mad: :angry:

The black guitar is a stock Fenix ML40 ("Mona Lisa") and the green one is what it looked like after I broke it.