Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1998 Lance Mccollum GA Tree Mahogany - SOLD  (Read 413 times)
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:56:58 PM »

This is an extremely pleasing guitar that is VERY much in the Goodall camp.   Maybe just a little more sparkle on the treble side.  It's also reasonably similar to my Charis SJ, and obviously that's not a bad thing either!

Regarding condition - the crack that was mentioned in the previous listing is actually a well repaired center seam separation, which is really not a big deal at all outside of cosmetics.   There are two prominent grain lines that run along either side that are also of no issue.

When it arrived, the frets were lacking any wear, but there were 10-12 that were coming unseated.   I dropped it at my tech at Elderly and picked it back up a few days later.  As always Scott did a wonderful job (reseat/reglue/dress and level)   This cost me 120.00 and 400 miles of driving!

I've buffed out the body 3 times and the luster is really quite nice now - it was a little dull when it arrived.   As far as cosmetics, there are 4 small dents on the back of the neck that are by far the worst on the guitar (see pic - makes it look much worse than it is - bright light on a hard angle)  There are some minor marks on the top of the headstock, on the overlay and a ding/chip on the point of the florentine cutaway (see pic)

There are some very minor finish checks near the Harvey Leach orchid inlays that can only really be seen in bright light.   There is also some seeping of minerals(?) from the abalone into the top, under the finish - when looking at it in normal light, it's not nearly as obvious because of the darkening of the spruce.

Only other thing to mention is that around the body binding there is some sinking/slight separation of the finish.....again, really not a big deal at all, but it's there.  In normal light you can't see it very well, and there are only a few places where you can actually feel it.

I've got the setup and intonation dialed in perfectly - installed and intonated a brand new bone saddle, adjusted the truss and cleaned and conditioned the fingerboard and bridge. Current action is 5/64 bass and 4/64 treble and neck relief is perfect as are the nut slots.   Plays as well as any instrument I've had here.   A fresh set of of EJ16's will be on it when shipped.

1 25/32 nut - 2 7/32 saddle - standard scale.  Case is a very nice Cedar Creek in 9/10 condition.  Brazilian Rosewood bridge, fingerboard and headstock overlay.

The top is definitely spruce - and likely Englemann or Italian/Euro.  No way to be sure, but the grain is very tight and consistent.

This is a wonderful sounding and playing guitar that is incredibly rare and unique.  I'd LOVE to keep it, but I just don't have the space in my tiny place for more than 3-4 guitars.  Living simply has become my credo.

I'd just like to recoup my money, time and energy on this one and see it go to someone who will really appreciate it - as I told another member, it's the kind of instrument you play for a half hour, then stare at for five minutes.:D

ROCK BOTTOM at 2195.00  plus actual shipping on my Fedex account to the CONUS only.  Add 50 for Paypal and I'll cover the rest if you want to go that route.
NO TRADES
I took some pics with the strings off so you could fully appreciate the beauty of the wood and inlays.

Sorry for the fibers on the headstock pic - from the polishing cloth. There's really only one mark on the headstock that's readily visible...

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Eastman E10OM Sunburst - Mahogany/Adirondack for sale 650.00
Larrivee OM-05E Mahogany/Sitka for sale 750.00
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »

Hey Todd, was the Charis Dread the Sinker Mahogany one?

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:06:10 PM »

Hey Todd, was the Charis Dread the Sinker Mahogany one?

Yes - the one I had built last January - just got it back today!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Eastman E10OM Sunburst - Mahogany/Adirondack for sale 650.00
Larrivee OM-05E Mahogany/Sitka for sale 750.00
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: