In a guitar funk, what to do? put it down for a while?

Started by DaveyO, April 28, 2017, 06:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just wondering what you all do when you know you should practice but just dont feel like it
there are some personal things happening in my life that have me in a funk, should I
put down the guitar for a while or muddle thru?
Dave

Personal and business crap is wrapped around me right now so instead of letting it weigh me down I decided to jump head first into learning a tune that I've wanted to learn for many years Suite Judy Blue eyes.It helps keep me from sinking into the mire of all the BS.Hope this helps.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: DaveyO on April 28, 2017, 06:29:59 PM
just wondering what you all do when you know you should practice but just dont feel like it
Dave
Rob has it right. If you are a guitar player, you will play.
Unless something prevents you from playing, then go to the old standby "practice an hour every day".
Hang in there.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Play
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: DaveyO on April 28, 2017, 06:29:59 PM
there are some personal things happening in my life that have me in a funk, should I
put down the guitar for a while or muddle thru?
Dave
I could have made the same post. It has been a few weeks since I played anything.
    But I think in a short while I'll be playing and writing. Too much soul stirring going on in my life, gotta get a tune or two from this "slough of despond".

For about, hmm, I don't know...  maybe 2 years I had been in a playing funk.  I set a goal of playing a couple tunes a day...  all the way through. Then it was 5 tunes.  Then I hosted a song circle/jam night (about 3 weeks or so ago).  It helped.  It showed me my strengths...  and my need for practice...  and, that if I practice 3 verses and choruses of a 4 verse tune, that's where I lose it.  I'm trying to schedule another.  I deserve to have that much fun.

Ed

Quote from: Danny on April 28, 2017, 10:14:01 PM
I could have made the same post. It has been a few weeks since I played anything.
    But I think in a short while I'll be playing and writing. Too much soul stirring going on in my life, gotta get a tune or two from this "slough of despond".

Danny keep plodding on toward the Celestial City.  One day we'll look back and see how it all works together for good.

Most would say to play more but you can also take the opposite tack: Give yourself time to get out of the funk by leaving it alone for, say, a week or two but tell yourself you WILL get back to it. I find that when I'm away from it (vacation, family or whatever) I start to miss is and when I get back I perceive that my playing is richer (only to me) and my technique is more precise. Don't stay away too long or those callouses will get soft and you'll have to deal with the pain.

Apart from that... GOOD LUCK.
f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Sounds like a few of us in a similar place. For me, I'm such a beginner on the guitar that I really have to focus on what I'm doing - which (if I'm successful) pushes everything else aside for a little while. Riding my bike (bicycle) in a fast group, or going fly fishing do the same thing. Not that life isn't important, but sometimes I can face the rest a little better after some kind of sanity break...

All the best... Lou
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

I say let your emotional response to the guitar be your guide.  If it brings your beauty in any form, play.  If it delivers angst, rest from it.  Don't turn it into a torturous must. 

there are some personal things happening in my life that have me in a funk

For me, that's when having a guitar as an old friend to talk to helps.

I get that whole goal-oriented thing of feeling like you have to practice to improve, but at times just playing what you feel like playing is good also. But on the other hand, (Libra here. . .) if you don't feel like it, there's nothing to gain by pushing - no-one is keeping score.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist