Songs you never got

Started by Walkerman, April 03, 2017, 09:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Come Together".  Love the song, just never understood it's meaning, if it has one.  Perhaps it's just nonsense, like Lewis Carrol's songs in Alice in Wonderland.  Maybe that's the point?

Others that I like to listen to, but never understood.  Maybe I'm just naïve. :blush:

"Put the Lime in the Coconut"

"Werewolves of London"

"Judy in Disguise"
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on April 08, 2017, 01:56:58 AM
"Come Together".  Love the song, just never understood it's meaning, if it has one.  Perhaps it's just nonsense, like Lewis Carrol's songs in Alice in Wonderland.  Maybe that's the point?

Others that I like to listen to, but never understood.  Maybe I'm just naïve. :blush:

"Put the Lime in the Coconut"

"Werewolves of London"

"Judy in Disguise"

I understand it is an homage to Timothy Leary.

I'll politely rise in defense of "Werewolves In London" - it's just a fun pop/party song with a fun chorus. No heavy message or deep thought to it- more of a character sketch type of danceable rock song.  Maybe I just get Warren Zevon more than most, but I enjoyed his brand of rock.

The songs I don't get are anything by the Grateful Dead. I get that whole under the influence of controlled substance thing, but I never once heard a song that had enough to it to be worth enhancing that way. . . :wacko:
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: Denis on April 11, 2017, 06:32:05 PM
Paradise by the Dashboard Light

Really  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on April 12, 2017, 07:14:04 PM
Really  :?

Yeah, that was my thought.

Actually, there are a few listed that don't take a lot of "cyphering".

Maybe it depends on if "getting" a tune means getting the lyric, liking the song, or wondering how it got so popular.

Ed

"....someone left the cake out in the rain.
I don't think that I can take it.
It took SO long to bake it.
And I'll never have the recipe again...."

Macarthur's Park has left us in the dark.
But the sweet green icing is glowing now
so the DEA must be here momentarily.
I suggest we leave this place,
Immediately.  :cop: :nana_guitar :wave :donut
Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

Quote from: jpmist on April 12, 2017, 05:04:48 PM

The songs I don't get are anything by the Grateful Dead. I get that whole under the influence of controlled substance thing, but I never once heard a song that had enough to it to be worth enhancing that way. . . :wacko:

You need to listen to Workingman's Dead. Nothing difficult to understand there. Great album filled with original Americana. Pretty much country music.  About as drug related as Merle Haggard.