Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee is 50... So what's an 'old' Larrivee?  (Read 3151 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »

That explanation does help.  So is there a corresponding "hump" on the bass side of the neck at the 6th fret?  In other words, is the neck warped sideways in that area?  I've never seen that kind of warping before.  Or is the neck just "scalloped" on the treble side at that point?  Like someone slipped while machining it?

A picture with a metal straight edge next to the side of the neck would be helpful...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 05:11:52 PM »

So is there a corresponding "hump" on the bass side of the neck at the 6th fret?  In other words, is the neck warped sideways in that area?  I've never seen that kind of warping before. 

You understand it perfectly.  I have never seen this before either.  Wood can do funny things.    

Steve ....aka the SMan
ollaimh

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 06:09:05 PM »

to me old larrivees are made in toronto in the seventies.  i have two. there are pictures on another thread. (i haven't figured out how to up load pictures.) a 1974 and a 1975.  pre 1983 were actually made in victoria and they are oldish.  after that they are the modern larrivee. that's not to say they are worse. many are fantastic guitars. when ever i go into a new guitar store i am routinely amazed how much netter the larrivee models are across the board than any other makers, in the same price point.  you have to go to speciality hand makers to get better and not always then.  and in canada many of the makers are trained by jean claude larrivee. lind manzer, grit laskin, michael chriner, david wren, ioanne of morgn guitars webber from north vancouver and many others. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »

to me old larrivees are made in toronto in the seventies.  i have two. there are pictures on another thread. (i haven't figured out how to up load pictures.) a 1974 and a 1975.  pre 1983 were actually made in victoria and they are oldish.  after that they are the modern larrivee. that's not to say they are worse. many are fantastic guitars. when ever i go into a new guitar store i am routinely amazed how much netter the larrivee models are across the board than any other makers, in the same price point.  you have to go to speciality hand makers to get better and not always then.  and in canada many of the makers are trained by jean claude larrivee. lind manzer, grit laskin, michael chriner, david wren, ioanne of morgn guitars webber from north vancouver and many others. 

+1
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 11:32:24 PM »

to me old larrivees are made in toronto in the seventies.  i have two. there are pictures on another thread. (i haven't figured out how to up load pictures.) a 1974 and a 1975.  pre 1983 were actually made in victoria and they are oldish.  after that they are the modern larrivee. that's not to say they are worse. many are fantastic guitars.

Interesting - thanks for sharing your perspective. We all seem to have a picture of "old Larrivees" that is somehow related to our personal experience with the brand.  Makes sense.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »

Jean Larrivée said in a video on YouTube " people like the older guitars but the new ones are a lot better".

Nearly all musicians say that about their music.  Interviewer: "So how does the new album stand up to your classics?"  Artist: "Way better, man.  Way better."
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »

Nearly all musicians say that about their music.  Interviewer: "So how does the new album stand up to your classics?"  Artist: "Way better, man.  Way better."

Yes sir!

Hey there!  How've you been Ratishna!? 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: