Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New custom L-09 (Euro/Madagascar) finally came in!  (Read 466 times)
Dustinfurlow

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »

Little late posting this but I finally recieved my custom order L-09 from Johnny a few weeks ago and boy was it worth the wait...I'd owned 5 l-bodies previously (05 standard, 09 standard, 1979 09, l-11, and an 09 w/ Englemann/walnut and while they were all wonderful for different reasons I'm happy to say it was worth spec'ing one out!

The woods: Handpicked "moon spruce" (from Crema, so probably much like the Italian Alpine), Madagascar rosewood b/s, koa binding throughout, Indian rosewood headstock overlay

The tone: Of my previous models it is definitely closest in tone to my old l-11 which was Italian spruce and Indian b/s with the 70's-style bracing. Big bottom end to this guitar and tons of overtones that make it a completely different beast than my l-09 standard which was Sitka/Indian. The coolest thing in my opinion is the swelling quality the natural harmonics and single note runs have...there's like a built-in reverb when you dig in that I'll try to provide some video of here soon for all the Indian vs. Madagascar and Sitka vs. Euro spruce debaters XD

Anyways here's some pictures and a video link!

https://youtu.be/K9UvJUUsjsc

Dustin Furlow

L-09 Custom (Euro/Madagascar)
McIlroy A36c (Italian/EIR)
Beneteau Model M (Carpathian/Macassar)

Fingerstyle and original tunes on my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCw7w0i3AF8xTuN6iYB-gCkw
markj

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »

She's gorgeous!

nice guitar
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:30:20 PM »

Absolute Beauty!  so Dustin, does it sound as good as the older ones you let go?

George
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »

Little late posting this but I finally recieved my custom order L-09 from Johnny a few weeks ago and boy was it worth the wait...I'd owned 5 l-bodies previously (05 standard, 09 standard, 1979 09, l-11, and an 09 w/ Englemann/walnut and while they were all wonderful for different reasons I'm happy to say it was worth spec'ing one out!
Beautiful guitar and great playing. I really like the head stock.
Your facial expressions throughout the video are priceless!
Mike
divertis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »

Great guitar, and really nice playing! You make a good pair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dustinfurlow

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:43:30 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. George - I definitely enjoy it's low-end tonality and overtones more than my previous l-05, l-09 and l-09 (englemann/walnut) but since it isn't broken-in yet I can't say it's sustain and headroom are a match for what I remember from my 1979 and my l-11...those were both amazing guitars but the 79 had too thin of a nut width for my liking and the l-11 had a chunky neck that was unlike most l-bodies I've owned...this one is a happy medium, no complaints (and I'm terribly picky, after going through so many!)

Dustin Furlow

L-09 Custom (Euro/Madagascar)
McIlroy A36c (Italian/EIR)
Beneteau Model M (Carpathian/Macassar)

Fingerstyle and original tunes on my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCw7w0i3AF8xTuN6iYB-gCkw
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 12:43:45 AM »

Thanks for the update Dustin, your video sounded really good, but you know how hard it is to compare guitars with so many variables...

George
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »

Do you have a clear pic of the back?
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »

Very nice!

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Crocefan4life

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »

The L-09's tone and sustain sounds very good to me. That's a wonderful guitar that will inspire anyone to play it regularly.

It certainly worth the wait to get a custom guitar.  

Thank you for demoing it for us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: