Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OM-40 bracing vs standard Larrivee  (Read 1039 times)
jimbosyn

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:09:18 PM »

I recently purchased an OM-40 from an online dealer. I got it home and it sounded pretty good. Not bad, but decent. The strings were as dead as it gets, so I put on some John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights and WOW. I am literally blown away by this guitar. This thing came to life in my lap. I am literally amazed.

The build quality is fantastic. I really like to satin finish. The mahogany back and sides match the neck perfectly. I really like the lighter colored natural mahogany. The top on this thing is a beauty. Super tight grained wood with not a hint of imperfection.

I have a Martin D28 Marquis and a Collings OM2H German Deep Body. The OM-40 is much closer to the Martin than the Collings in terms of tone. The Collings is no slouch, but I gotta say, I'm really not convinced the Collings is 3k better than this OM!

I was looking for a little less expensive small bodied guitar to take with me on vacation, and to play by the campfire. We like to have friends over and hang out around the fire pit, so this is not a hypothetical "camping" situation  I didnt want to subject my expensive nitro instruments to the outdoor elements, plus I always heard that mahogany is more stable than rosewood and less susceptible to temperature swings.

My son has a Taylor 814, and this OM kills the Taylor, i mean there is simply no comparison. It sounds rich, punchy, and bassy. It is warm and woody sounding. It handles a flatpick and bare fingers equally well. There seems to be a good amount of headroom for strumming, it's not a D28, but it's good for an OM.

I was seriously shocked by this guitar.

So now here is my question. I went for the 40 series because the bracing is described as more traditional. This thing really sounds closer to martin than anything else Ive played, including Collings. How different does the 40 series sound compared to standard braced Larrivee guitars?

My ear really likes the Larivee 40 series sound, how does it compare to the regular bracing in use on the other models?
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »

OM 40s have become my favorite Larrivee.  Big sound in a smaller body .... and I get them made as 12 fretters, so they are easier to play.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 02:28:04 AM »

So now here is my question. I went for the 40 series because the bracing is described as more traditional. This thing really sounds closer to martin than anything else Ive played, including Collings. How different does the 40 series sound compared to standard braced Larrivee guitars?

IMO, they sound almost identical.  I have played my OM-03R side by side with an OM-40R and the difference was extremely subtle.  The -40 instruments have slightly more bass.   Since they have tone bars instead of a lower cross brace they are probably slightly more responsive as well, but again, subtly.

If I were in the market for a new OM, the OM-40R or OM-40W would be the first ones on my list.  (I'd still rip off the Martin style pickguard as soon as possible though)

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Crocefan4life

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:18:44 PM »

How does a OM-40 compare to a dreadnaught?

Is it 3/4 size? Or even Smaller?

I really love my D-09 but I don't see anybody online that stocks new ones. My next Guitar may have to be a OM.
jimbosyn

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »

How does a OM-40 compare to a dreadnaught?

Is it 3/4 size? Or even Smaller?

I really love my D-09 but I don't see anybody online that stocks new ones. My next Guitar may have to be a OM.

I wouldn't say it's 3/4 size, but it definitely feels smaller in my lap. It's more comfortable to play for longer periods of time.

The lower bout and the waste feel significantly smaller.

I'm not a small guy either. I'm about 6'1 180 with average arm length.
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »

Regular Larrivee bracing:

https://youtu.be/F-Gk0iWgvUo

And Scalloped Bracing:

https://youtu.be/9zB_D084Ae0

Headphones help. 

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:17:48 PM »

I played a D-40R and the bass was clearly more prominent. I'd like to try an OM-40R.

I do have a nice sounding OO-40R. Of course it's not as full as my LS or D-02, but that's no biggie.
   I have an O-01MH and the OO-40R, they are both fine sounding Larrivees. All of mine are really nice in tone and volume.

I always get compliments whichever one I play.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
RandyB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 05:47:26 PM »

I have an OM-40R and absolutely love it! I would love to play a 12 fret SD40 to hear what that sounds like! Maybe someday...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Proud owner of a freakin' awesome Larrivée OM40-R
Looking for another awesome Larrivée to keep it company!
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »

I had 3 "Larrivee braced" Larrivees - all great guitars with exceptional balance between notes and between strings. Sadly had to sell them for different reasons.

I have recently again entered the Larrivee-fray with a 00-40 Custom - and I have to say by far my favourite model (with the accent on model as in body size/shape, 12 fret design and different bracing)

It has all the attributes that I mentioned above but it is notably more alive, loud and surprisingly versatile.

The Italian spruce top, the loosened-up bracing pattern and scooped-out tone bars, all contribute to do the responsiveness and added bass response justice - with the same bell-like clarity of the mids and trebles as found in "regular" Larrivees, all the way up the neck.

Mine is a keeper. 

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: