I USE PEDALS!

Started by ducktrapper, June 18, 2015, 07:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 04, 2015, 08:49:10 AM
Well done. Nice rig. Nice to see another vinyl guy too. Or am I mistaken? It looks like Traffic's "John Barleycorn"?  :cheers

The square framed item next to the chair is a Japanese print.  I do have vinyl not quite in the photo.  A bunch of old stuff my parents were getting rid of.  But, i need to get a receiver to get my record player set up. 
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers

Quote from: Scrambler17 on July 04, 2015, 09:05:02 AM
The square framed item next to the chair is a Japanese print.  I do have vinyl not quite in the photo.  A bunch of old stuff my parents were getting rid of.  But, i need to get a receiver to get my record player set up.  

Ah when I look closer I see they're not albums. My mistake. I'm not sure how you're posting pics. When I use the Additional Options method below, my pics can be clicked on and enlarged using your photo manager. Or does that just work for me because they're mine?    :cheers

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 04, 2015, 09:58:02 AM
Ah when I look closer I see they're not albums. My mistake. I'm not sure how you're posting pics. When I use the Additional Options method below, my pics can be clicked on and enlarged using your photo manager. Or does that just work for me because they're mine?    :cheers

Not just you, Tom...I'm able to click on most other people's pics and enlarge them as well.  :thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

If pedals includes the concept of modifying the sound that you would otherwise get by plugging a guitar into an amp, then  by that definition, I do that.

I never got into individual pedals really.  I know that I could and would spend years picking and choosing and trying to figure out the best order and routing and gain staging and power supplies  and cables and cases. I would never get around to playing.

I have one of these that I got a long time ago when I was playing Blues.  Discontinued long ago. They are still around because they are as indestructible as they look.

--== Please click the picture for more details ==--

And love 'em or hate 'em, there seems to be no in-between.

I haven't used it live in years but I keep it around (and haul it out to gigs) as a backup in case my main rig goes down (but that has never happened).

These days I'm using the Kemper Profiling Amp

for everything I need between my guitar and the power amp/speakers. (Bose L1® or Bose Compact depending on the circumstances).

Most of the time I just find an amp profile that I like, and play it. I don't tend to put time into tweaking or adding effects unless there's some iconic sound required for a cover tune.

All I really want is the shortest possible path between inspiration and sound in the room.

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 04, 2015, 09:58:02 AM

I used Flickr because I've had an account there forever.  But their HTML script wasn't playing nice with the forum here.  So it's just a midsized image shown.  What service do you use to post images?
RS2 with humbuckers

Quote from: Scrambler17 on July 04, 2015, 03:08:45 PM
I used Flickr because I've had an account there forever.  But their HTML script wasn't playing nice with the forum here.  So it's just a midsized image shown.  What service do you use to post images?

I don't use any. I manage my own photos on my computer and upload them using the "additional options" link below the posting window. I had used whatever "Smile" use to be (Webshots?) but when it became Smile, I lost a bunch of photos that I did not have backed up. Wasn't too happy about that.  

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 04, 2015, 04:23:38 PM
I don't use any. I manage my own photos on my computer and upload them using the "additional options" link below the posting window. I had used whatever "Smile" use to be (Webshots?) but when it became Smile, I lost a bunch of photos that I did not have backed up. Wasn't too happy about that.  

Ok, I see that option now.  The only problem is the photos are too large.  Maybe when I have time to reduce them I'll add them back that way.

Thanks
RS2 with humbuckers

Quote from: Scrambler17 on July 04, 2015, 10:34:17 PM
Ok, I see that option now.  The only problem is the photos are too large.  Maybe when I have time to reduce them I'll add them back that way.

Thanks

Yes, I use my photo manager to re-size any pics for the forum.

I use a zoom G5 amp sm and multifx unit.  It provides a DI for any PA system and weighs about 10 lb.  I can tap tempo for modulation. FX and the brains allow for time multiplication.  For example, to play U2 and a whole host of modern worship music you need dotted 8th delay which I have set in one of my patches.  Tap in quarter notes, get dotted 8th delay out. It's like magic.

BTW, the big pedal that looks wonky in the photo is part of the two-axis pedal that the G5 and a few other G-series multifx from Zoom provide.  I have the amount of reverb programmed in the left-right arrangement of that pedal, and the amount of delay on the up/down axis of the pedal.

This gives a nearly infinite combination of those two effects and in a typical 5-6 song worship set, about the only thing I do is modify the relative left/right and up/down position of that pedal.  The smaller pedal on the right is my tap-tempo input pedal.

I see folks spending $200+ for each of their pedals on a pedal board, and I have a hard time coughing up that much for a single one-trick-pony effect.  The guitar in that photo only cost me $300 (Epiphone Nighthawk Custom re-issue).  Plus, with these multi-fx units, one can program several different patches with just one pedal button click.  I use the patch I described above (using a Two Rock Emerald 50W amp sim that is my favorite in the Zoom), and usually one other patch where I have a swell effect programmed into the compression - I play 'pads' when the keyboard player cannot, using that patch.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

BTW, if anyone is interested in a tutorial of how to build a signal chain using amp and effects, I wrote a blog post on that a year and a half or so ago.  While there is no 'right' order of effects, there are combinations that give a good basis to start with.  This article goes into the thought process behind the sound one is looking for.

https://worshipbandwingman.wordpress.com/category/effects-order/

inside of that post are some block diagrams I made of effect order and how you might use them in an amp, or amp simulation situation.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Cool I'll have a look at that.   :cheers

Quote from: headsup on June 29, 2015, 09:08:07 AM
What nobody around this place has pedals?
or pedal envy?
weird...

OK, you want pedals, here are some pedals...

Rob

Larrivee D-05
Larrivee RS-4 Custom (Arctic White)

This post hasn't been updated for 2.5 years, so why not bring it back!  I've been updating my pedals over that time.  Here's a pic of my board when I first set it up . 

2015-07-04 08.45.06 by B B, on Flickr

The main purpose of this rig is for worship services at Church.  The current trend in worship music is very synth heavy etc with smaller guitar parts, coming out of Hillsong and Bethel.  It's synth led for sure, not guitar driven anymore.  I'm sure that trend will swing back in the future.  I'm also playing more and more lead lines now so I needed to be able to get some of those tones.  Also, delay is very prevalent with some songs having multiple delay settings per song.  So, here's where the pedals stand as of last night!

I added a Silver Pony which is a Klon clone about a year ago, but this fall I've just upgraded my Drives and swapped out the Boss pedals for a Truetone VS-XO dual drive pedal.  It's great, lots of options with that drive and great harmonics in the mix. 

And yesterday I just got a new delay.  NPD? The Source Audio Nemesis.  It has a lot of sounds on there, more than I'll use, but more importantly it has presets so I can scroll through them in a set.  It also has deep editing capabilities through the computer or a phone app, and MIDI.  But for now I think what's available via the knobs is good for me. 

2017-11-20 20.01.20 by B B, on Flickr

Inadvertently I've lost all of the color on the board and have a black theme going on.  The Silver Pony is the only thing that's not black. 

I was able to pick up all those new pedals used and save some decent cash.  The thing about pedals, even more so than guitars, is that folks are always looking for the next big thing and the sound that fits their setup. 

I'm playing the RS2 almost exclusively at church now.  My G&L ASAT (Tele) mostly stays home because we've got a small grounding buzz on stage and the humbuckers do better.   
RS2 with humbuckers

This is what I use, not much but enough.
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

Quote from: Davy Vanthuyne on November 21, 2017, 04:31:31 PM
This is what I use, not much but enough.

How do you like that Flint?
RS2 with humbuckers

Just picked up a Boss GT-1

Please click the picture for more details

It's small, light, runs on batteries and it sounds great.  It's easy to carry everywhere and it's handy for jam sessions where there's not a lot of time for setup.

Probably no more expensive than a single boutique pedal ($200 USD street).

Here's a review.
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24933-boss-gt-1-review

I'm waiting for the first Smartwatch guitar signal processors to arrive.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: ST on November 22, 2017, 10:23:58 AM
Just picked up a Boss GT-1

It's small, light, runs on batteries and it sounds great.  It's easy to carry everywhere and it's handy for jam sessions where there's not a lot of time for setup.

Probably no more expensive than a single boutique pedal ($200 USD street).

Here's a review.
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/24933-boss-gt-1-review

Nice review - I'm looking forward to your "real world" review.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Scrambler17 on November 22, 2017, 10:07:44 AM
How do you like that Flint?
nice reverb, different types. I would recommend the Flint to anyone. I use it with the Champ. Check out Julian Lage, same set up.
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

For acoustic...  I want it to be the guitar, but louder.  So, no (or minimal) effects.

Electric... Big Muff, volume pedal, echo ( preferred is Digitech 8 sec digital delay though various will serve), Boomerang looper.

I've been thru many (many) pedals...  this is what works for me.   I've seen pedal boards with dozens of pedals used to good effect.   Before long, they just get in the way for me.

I love multi effect pedals but I'm a "real time" player.  The difficulty of changing parameters in real time makes them less than optimal for me.

Ed