understanding Sunburst finishes?

Started by headsup, March 31, 2017, 09:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi,
in a recent post (mine) there was some discussion about sunburst finishes, the merits, and if they in fact were used to cover up inferior woods.

I draw your attention to this guitar and ask for any comments or enlightenment as to the back spray, and what I see as an interesting straight line of colour, rather than a fade.

https://reverb.com/item/4763533-larrivee-d-09fm-2009-cherry-sunburst
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on March 31, 2017, 09:28:33 AM
Hi,
in a recent post (mine) there was some discussion about sunburst finishes, the merits, and if they in fact were used to cover up inferior woods.

I draw your attention to this guitar and ask for any comments or enlightenment as to the back spray, and what I see as an interesting straight line of colour, rather than a fade.

https://reverb.com/item/4763533-larrivee-d-09fm-2009-cherry-sunburst

That back shot looks like the angle of the light...  in all the 'bursts I've seen from Larrivee, I can't believe it was painted like that.

And, I think they (and black finish) were used by Gibson to allow use of cosmetically inferior woods, especially during WWII when straight grain spruce was being used for airplanes and boats.

Ed

I am not sure if it is not an affect of light reflection.  

I agree, I have a Canadian D-03 FM custom Cherry Sunburst and it does not look "painted", it fades nicely.
George

Quote from: George on March 31, 2017, 09:50:05 AM
I agree, I have a Canadian D-03 FM custom Cherry Sunburst and it does not look "painted", it fades nicely.

Well, by "painted", I mean sprayed.   :cheers

Ed

Looks like a reflection to me. The wood does not look inferior to me, beautiful flamed Maple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Black and other solid colored guitars are sometimes cosmetically flawed woods. Heavy bursts can occasionally be. But, it's not a rule by any means. I've seen bursts and solid colored guitars stripped down to reveal perfect wood sets underneath. Also, with some partially transparent bursts (like my SD60 was) you can shine a light and see there are no flaws under the burst.
Some people just like to feel like they have a secret they want to share and that's often how bad info gets spread around.

Regarding the photo, as has been said, it's just the photography.  Also, it's an example of great woods getting sprayed with a burst.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: headsup on March 31, 2017, 09:28:33 AM
Hi,

I know for sure that Fender does this with their guitar bodies. The one's with "meh" grain or grain glitches become solid body color and the nicer ones become sunburst. Never read of this apply to acoustic, but I'd wonder if there's a fair connection between inferior and un-pretty.

Concur with all the other comments, it's more a reflection artifact that unfortunately lines up with the sunburst edge. Guy probably had it in front of a living room window with the bottom edge of the window over the sunburst edge.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Back in the day Gibson would sunburst guitars to cover up flay's in the wood.My L7 was sunburst to cover fills.The fill is book match on each side.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help