Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tree Mahogany....  (Read 1641 times)
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »

I'm not questioning especially since I've only seen a few Cedar topped guitars. But I thought Cedar was darker or more red. But that's a lighter color. I guess you tell it's Cedar by grain? Thanks.

Yes - the consistency of the grain - but mostly the unmistakable aroma

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Eastman E10OM Sunburst - Mahogany/Adirondack
Larrivee OM-05E Mahogany/Sitka for sale 775.00
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »

Well, you'll want to decide pretty quickly if the cedar top is a no go for you - at least you have a good reason to return it, since it was advertised as spruce - that's a pretty big error.

I'm also not a fan of cedar tops - even though that mahogany back is beautiful, I'd probably be returning the guitar unless it was just way beyond awesome in tone.

Pretty guitar, though.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »

Well, you'll want to decide pretty quickly if the cedar top is a no go for you - at least you have a good reason to return it, since it was advertised as spruce - that's a pretty big error.

I'm also not a fan of cedar tops - even though that mahogany back is beautiful, I'd probably be returning the guitar unless it was just way beyond awesome in tone.

Pretty guitar, though.

I think it will stay - I never even discussed a return with the seller and after doing some work I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it.  It's a little "darker" sounding than my Charis, and my Mcknight is the "bright" child, so I have the whole spectrum covered     Throw in a great classical and I'm a spoiled brat

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

webberink

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »

I sure would keep it if it sounds and plays good.  Try the 80-20 bronze strings if you have not yet tried them on a cedar topped guitar and you want to lighten it up a tad.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  That being said, no one needs a bunch of guitars that sound the same.  One of the reasons for a selection of different guitars is different sound.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 09:04:16 PM »

I have three cedar tops and I like the nice smooth tonal quality, though much different from Spruce.  I hesitate to flavor the tone with verbage, it depends a lot on the guitar itself.  I think that age contributes a lot to these tops.  My Morgan has both aged Western Red Cedar over aged Flamed Maple, a quite extraordinary sounding guitar.  Another I really like is cedar over Sapele...  Cedar just sounds totally different than Spruce, but sometimes blends with the vocal better on some music.

George
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »

I have three cedar tops and I like the nice smooth tonal quality, though much different from Spruce.  I hesitate to flavor the tone with verbage, it depends a lot on the guitar itself.  I think that age contributes a lot to these tops.  My Morgan has both aged Western Red Cedar over aged Flamed Maple, a quite extraordinary sounding guitar.  Another I really like is cedar over Sapele...  Cedar just sounds totally different than Spruce, but sometimes blends with the vocal better on some music.

It's funny you should say that - just a couple hours ago I had it mic'd up through the PA and I found it easy to sing over the instrument......something I hadn't thought about much before.    I'm sure it would work on some tunes better than others.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 12:52:00 AM »

It's funny you should say that - just a couple hours ago I had it mic'd up through the PA and I found it easy to sing over the instrument......something I hadn't thought about much before.    I'm sure it would work on some tunes better than others.
Sounds good. Give some time to adjust to it.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »

Well, I'm going to have to eat crow - I just dropped it at Elderly and my tech and I were pondering what the top was - he pulled out his mirror and the underside was the creamiest white I've ever seen - has to be very darkened Italian or Englemann......absolutely blew me away - the tone, grain and the aroma wreaked Cedar.

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

webberink

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »

So coool for You ... now its all you dreamed of.  Englemann spruce or Italian spruce naturally aged in color ... perfect.  Now what are you going to do?
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »

So coool for You ... now its all you dreamed of.  Englemann spruce or Italian spruce naturally aged in color ... perfect.  Now what are you going to do?
Dave

It will be at Elderly for a couple weeks - the fret work and I may have him cut a new nut with slightly wider spacing (it was pinched in a bit on the bass side)   I'm sure it will be here for a good long while.....I sold the Taylor DN3 today to help pay for it.    I'm certain that the tone transfer will increase a LOT when the frets are all reseated and reglued.  Nothing worse than a wonderful instrument with bad frets angry

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2017, 04:35:29 AM »

Hey, better than a crappy instrument with good frets.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: