When EXACTLY did Larrivee start using adjustable truss rods?

Started by Mikeymac, March 29, 2017, 10:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm referring to their acoustic guitars.

In another thread, there seems to be some discrepancy about when exactly Larrivee started using them. Was there an "overlap" year or two when they where built with both (like Fender and other companies often did to use up parts), or was their a clear and specific change at some point?

Anyone have models close together (in year and serial number) that have a non-adjustable truss rod and an adjustable truss rod?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I'm seeing if he replies in that other thread. When he joined it kinda stuck out because sounded like he was from NC, where I am, and had an old Larrivee. Back then he said it was late 80's model. Maybe he found out different or got another L-09? My recollection was it was late 80's or early 90's when they started using adjustable rods. They had ads in Frets magazine (or maybe Guitar Player after Frets quit publishing) with a line something like " You Talked, We Listened" and one of the changes they touted was adjustable truss rods.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I think Martin switched around 1985, and Larrivee introduced them only a year later or close to the same time  -  mid 80's  :ohmy:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 29, 2017, 11:17:02 PM
I think Martin switched around 1985, and Larrivee introduced them only a year later or close to the same time  -  mid 80's  :ohmy:

I think you are correct, Andrew.  Apparently, Martin made the switch in 1984.  My L-07 which was made late 1982 or early 1983 does not have an adjustable truss rod.  My L-40 12-string which has a pretty reliable build year of 1985 does have an adjustable rod.

I find it disconcerting that such a basic question as when adjustable truss rods were implemented is not a trigger for someone at Larrivee to pick up on it and provide the information.  Instead, we members are left with no alternative but to speculate on the correct answer.  Sure, records are not always kept and archived, but still, some of these questions are pretty basic.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on March 30, 2017, 12:38:51 AM

I find it disconcerting that such a basic question as when adjustable truss rods were implemented is not a trigger for someone at Larrivee to pick up on it and provide the information.  Instead, we members are left with no alternative but to speculate on the correct answer.  Sure, records are not always kept and archived, but still, some of these questions are pretty basic.
:smile: Lets not lose site of the fact tho this is our forum; yours, mine not The Larrivée Families. They were kind enough to lend us their family name(with restrictions of course - our Forum Rules).  Half the fun here is the speculation and relations we forge. When Matthew or John Jr chime in that is just bonus.

The way I see it should one of them chime in and say it was Oct 1985 then that ends it. When we speculate I think for the most part we get it pretty close but the discussions always bring up sub-topics and thoughts that generate further discussions and threads.

Thats the way I see it anyway.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 30, 2017, 06:01:07 AM
Forumites speculate?  Surly you jest  :roll
I know eh!  :winkin:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 29, 2017, 10:27:06 PM

In another thread, there seems to be some discrepancy about when exactly Larrivee started using them.
NCTom acknowledged in other thread that he made mistake. His with adjustable rod WAS from late 80's as I recalled.............................. As far as Company responsibility to clarify ON THIS FORUM, naw I don't think so. I'm happy when you can call or email them and they respond, help.
They seem to be back on track with that, and that's what's important.

I thought it was right after the move from Victoria to Vancouver. That would place it around late 1983 - early 1984. Fact is, Ted Thompson of Thompson guitars would know best. It was his T-Rods we used for nearly two decades. Anyways, my thought is 1984. I started working full time in the shop early 1986 and they were deeply implemented then so...    If it is super important for precise date, I could spend some time and dig deeper... give Teddy a call.

john jr

Quote from: flatlander on March 30, 2017, 08:25:52 AM
NCTom acknowledged in other thread that he made mistake. His with adjustable rod WAS from late 80's as I recalled.............................. As far as Company responsibility to clarify ON THIS FORUM, naw I don't think so. I'm happy when you can call or email them and they respond, help.
They seem to be back on track with that, and that's what's important.

I didn't say and never meant to imply that it was anybody at Larrivees "responsibility" to answer such questions ON THIS FORUM and I have never thought it was their responsibility.  I just meant that a response would end the speculation (including mine) and provide the correct answer to the OP.  I know they watch the forum from time to time and thought this would be a pretty easy one to reply to.  And sure enough, we got our answer.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on March 30, 2017, 11:15:54 PM
I know they watch the forum from time to time and thought this would be a pretty easy one to reply to.  And sure enough, we got our answer.
Yup mid 80s  :laughin:

Quote from: J M Larrivée on March 30, 2017, 10:40:24 PM

I thought it was right after the move from Victoria to Vancouver. That would place it around late 1983 - early 1984. Fact is, Ted Thompson of Thompson guitars would know best. It was his T-Rods we used for nearly two decades. Anyways, my thought is 1984. I started working full time in the shop early 1986 and they were deeply implemented then so...    If it is super important for precise date, I could spend some time and dig deeper... give Teddy a call.

john jr

Thank you, sir! That's close enough for most our interests, I'm thinking.  :winkin:

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on March 30, 2017, 11:15:54 PM
I didn't say and never meant to imply that it was anybody at Larrivees "responsibility" to answer such questions ON THIS FORUM and I have never thought it was their responsibility.  I just meant that a response would end the speculation (including mine) and provide the correct answer to the OP.  I know they watch the forum from time to time and thought this would be a pretty easy one to reply to.  And sure enough, we got our answer.
Cool. They did answer. I've appreciated the last several years and their increased responsiveness to customers and fans, including posting on here. Be disconcerted no more!

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 29, 2017, 11:17:02 PM

Good to know ! Thanks !
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

Quote from: nayoud on April 02, 2017, 07:29:12 AM
Good to know ! Thanks !

Um... did you not read this post from John Larrivee, Jr. himself? It gives a more specific answer to this thread's question:

Quote from: J M Larrivée on March 30, 2017, 10:40:24 PM

john jr

:donut :coffee