New to Larrivee and want to talk strings.

Started by caper4g, March 29, 2017, 03:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I very recently purchased a new D-03 MHO and I really do love it. Doe anyone know what strings they ship with these days?

Quote from: caper4g on March 29, 2017, 03:38:45 PM
I very recently purchased a new D-03 MHO and I really do love it. Doe anyone know what strings they ship with these days?

D'Addario PB I think.  I don't think they are EXP (the coated ones).  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Ed

D'Addario seems right. Te ball ends are various colors. They do not feel like coated strings but I have not used EXP strings for years so I can't remember their feel.

I thought they used D'Addario EJ17s.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Quote from: Paraclete on March 29, 2017, 09:27:45 PM
I thought they used D'Addario EJ17s.

Yep, either EJ17 (med) or EJ16 (light), (both being Phosphor Bronze) I think.

Ed

Are you satisfied to know what they shipped with, or do you want other suggestions to try? (Yeah, I know, here we go again...)

I'd suggest you try John Pearse New Mediums: 55, 42, 32, 24, 17, 13. They keep some beef on the high and low strings while giving you some flexibility on the A, D and G strings; I've really been enjoying these on my OM-05 and C-10.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 30, 2017, 12:17:00 PM
Are you satisfied to know what they shipped with, or do you want other suggestions to try? (Yeah, I know, here we go again...)

I'd suggest you try John Pearse New Mediums: 55, 42, 32, 24, 17, 13. They keep some beef on the high and low strings while giving you some flexibility on the A, D and G strings; I've really been enjoying these on my OM-05 and C-10.

Those new mediums are fitted out to be equal tension on each string (if I remember correctly).  I'm sold on John Pearse strings...  phosphor bronze for most guitars. 

If we are talking suggestions...  there is an outfit called webstrings.com.  They sell strings that sound good, but don't last long.  They are about $3.50 (and down to $3.00 in bulk).  When I get a new guitar, I usually get an assortment of strings, various weights and both phosphor bronze and 80/20.  I try each for a few days and decide what goes best with a given guitar.  Then, I switch to Pearse in that weight and material.

I keep trying coated strings, but never find one that i like the sound/feel of.

Ed

Quote from: eded on March 30, 2017, 03:10:44 PM

Those new mediums are fitted out to be equal tension on each string (if I remember correctly).  I'm sold on John Pearse strings...  phosphor bronze for most guitars. 

Thanks for reminding me - I forgot to mention that the JP New Mediums are available in both PB and 80/20 versions.  :thumbsup

Quote from: eded on March 30, 2017, 03:10:44 PM

If we are talking suggestions...  there is an outfit called webstrings.com.  They sell strings that sound good, but don't last long.  They are about $3.50 (and down to $3.00 in bulk).  When I get a new guitar, I usually get an assortment of strings, various weights and both phosphor bronze and 80/20.  I try each for a few days and decide what goes best with a given guitar.  Then, I switch to Pearse in that weight and material.

I keep trying coated strings, but never find one that i like the sound/feel of.

Ed
Quote from: Mikeymac on March 30, 2017, 12:17:00 PM

Satisfiied. I was for an evening of playing then they went downhill quickly. It had lights on it.  I tried mediums but I found the top was too tight and it lost a lot of fundamental clarity. Ill be trying more lights tomorrow. I liked John pearse on a Seagull I had so I'll pickup a set of those. What about coated strings on these? Anyone tried em. I have sweaty hands while playing ...

I played D'Adarrio EXP coated phosphor bronze for years.  I liked the custom lights for my style with a flatpick.  I finally decided the bronze sounded too brassy and migrated to Nickel Acoustic which I like very much, they have a sweet vintage sound and last for a very long time.  D'Addario Nickel Bronze, Martin Monel, GHS White Bronze, Newtone Master Class Nickel, and even Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze are all great choices...
George

Quote from: George on March 30, 2017, 08:16:46 PM
I played D'Adarrio EXP coated phosphor bronze for years.  I liked the custom lights for my style with a flatpick.  I finally decided the bronze sounded too brassy and migrated to Nickel Acoustic which I like very much, they have a sweet vintage sound and last for a very long time.  D'Addario Nickel Bronze, Martin Monel, GHS White Bronze, Newtone Master Class Nickel, and even Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze are all great choices...

John Pearse makes a set of Nickel acoustic strings, too... I have them on my Martin D-35 currently and they sound and feel pretty nice.

Larrivee responded to this very question I posed back in March of this year.....all Larrivee's currently setup with D'Addario EXP17 13-56's.  They never recommend anything heavier, but likely could handle it.

Ken

To my knowledge (and things do change, so I could be out of date)

Current strings are EXP-17

Before that it was EXP-16,
Before that Cleartones (nobody misses those)
Before that it was Elixirs. (late 90's)
Before that I think it was EJ-16s

It's possible they are now using EJ-17s, but Larrivee was one of the very first manufactures (along with Jean's buddy Bob) to start shipping with coated strings back around 1997 or so, thus I would be surprised if Matt had switched to non-coated strings.  The advantages of coated strings on a guitar that is going to sit in a showroom for an indeterminate amount of time are self-evident.

Pretty sure my new custom LV-03 came with coated D'Addarios.  I switched them for plain old uncoated EJ17 and all was right with the world again.

As always by this time in any string thread, I say ... six new ones. There are nowhere near as many string makers as brands and there are no bad strings on the market. Only by trying a few different sets and gauges will anyone know what they prefer.  :cheers

Quote from: caper4g on March 30, 2017, 07:22:41 PM
Satisfiied. I was for an evening of playing then they went downhill quickly. It had lights on it.  I tried mediums but I found the top was too tight and it lost a lot of fundamental clarity. Ill be trying more lights tomorrow. I liked John pearse on a Seagull I had so I'll pickup a set of those. What about coated strings on these? Anyone tried em. I have sweaty hands while playing ...

I suggest slowing things down, plan the work and work the plan.  String preference is quite subjective to the player and somewhat subjective to the guitar.  Try many different string sets (at least a dozen).  Keep each set on long enough to experience new life, mid life and end life.  Keep a written or recording record of each set.  After a year or two, you should have sufficient data and sufficient personal experience to decide which strings you prefer, for that guitar.

It usually takes me a year or two to go through this process with a guitar.  There's no hurry.