Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gordon Lightfoot, Valdy and Bruce Cockburn - Or...  (Read 1170 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »

Okay, question for you Canadians about the popularity of Canadian artists - at least those from "my era" - hah!

Leaving Neil Young out of the equation - it's pretty obvious he's well known both solo and with CSN&Y...

Is Gordon Lightfoot next in line for popularity as a Canadian rock/pop/folk (however you want to classify him) artist?

Who would be next - Valdy or Bruce Cockburn? I'm thinking mostly in terms of their popularity in Canada - what do YOU folks north of the 49th think? (Didn't mean to leave out our own Kevin/headsup - so correct me if he should be on that list...)

And am I missing someone because I'm just a dumb American?

Thanks - look forward to the opinions, discussion, and maybe the discovery of some new music.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Marauder

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »

The Tragically Hip are a great Canadian band. I listen to them way more than the artists you mention.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »

The Tragically Hip are a great Canadian band. I listen to them way more than the artists you mention.

Yeah - I was going back to artists who were popular from the late '60's on through the '70's - I'm less familiar with more recent artists/bands (spent a lot of years focused on grad school, raising kids, work, etc. - kept me from expanding my listening as much as I might have liked).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Marauder

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »

Then I would have to say from my 57 year old point of view it would have to be  The Guess Who. No rhyme intended
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »

Let's not forget Joni Mitchell who is better than all of them. I like Cockburn and Lightfoot, never thought much of most of Valdy's work. I always found him a little too precious for my liking. Play me a damn rock'n'roll song, already. Shoulda stayed home with a case of beer. I am that guy!
For me, I'll take Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, Fred Eaglesmith and the late Willie P. Bennett, The Odds with Craig Northey, Ian Tyson, Corb Lund, David Francey, kd lang and Jeff Healy and a few others that I've forgotten.        
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 12:38:09 AM »

All roads lead to Lightfoot; like Dylan everywhere else

Luv Valdy Cockburn Bachman, Cuddy, Keeler, Robertson....... but really can't think of any in the same sentence as Lightfoot

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 02:32:57 AM »

Seems to me it started with PP&M
 Then there is The Band
As for NY, I think his best work was in Buffalo Springfield
Neil Young
Stephen Stills
Ritchie Furay
Jim Messina
Dewey Martin

Perhaps the original supergroup.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »

Seems to me it started with PP&M
 Then there is The Band
As for NY, I think his best work was in Buffalo Springfield
Neil Young
Stephen Stills
Ritchie Furay
Jim Messina
Dewey Martin

Perhaps the original supergroup.

How could I forget The Band? Robbie Robertson is the best Canadian songwriter .... EVAH. Well, him and Joni.   
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 04:17:16 PM »

All roads lead to Lightfoot; like Dylan everywhere else

Luv Valdy Cockburn Bachman, Cuddy, Keeler, Robertson....... but really can't think of any in the same sentence as Lightfoot

A matter of subjective taste. Last time I saw Gordie, however, I wanted my money back. Come to think of it, the last time I saw Dylan, I felt the same way. For different reasons. 
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »

How could I forget The Band? Robbie Robertson is the best Canadian songwriter .... EVAH. Well, him and Joni.  
Oh I dunno .... Neil has a pretty impressive catalogue.  In all honesty, I would put him ahead of Joni too.  MOF, I would list him as the #1 Canadian songwriter.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 06:21:14 PM »

Oh I dunno .... Neil has a pretty impressive catalogue.  In all honesty, I would put him ahead of Joni too.  MOF, I would list him as the #1 Canadian songwriter.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. Acadian Driftwood, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The Weight, Unfaithful Servant .... Neil is one of the greats, no doubt, but besides the journey through into the past, Robertson's last album was terrific as is everything he's done and Young's last several have been anything but. And then there's Trans.  
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »

Yep, Gordon Lightfoot for voice and songwriting, Joni Mitchel for creativity, Bruce Cockburn for guitar virtuosity, and so on and so on.  In Canada we have been richly blessed as this thread reveals.  That being said though, for my money, a truly folk troubadour has to have the whole package, voice, virtuosity, vision, and be able to do it all supporting themselves instrumentally.  There are not a lot of people like that. One that comes to mind is Garry Fjellgaard.  This Saskatchewan farm boy, BC logger, multi award winning song writer/performer,  has been doing it all solo for almost as many years as I have been alive, and I am old.  He is a stand up musician/song writer who continues to show up in town with just his OM Martin and his finger style playing and sings the most amazing stories delivered with a wonderfully rich clear voice.  There are not a lot like him.  John McCutcheon in the US is one that comes to mind.  Check him out if you don't know him.
David

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 11:00:46 PM »

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. Acadian Driftwood, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The Weight, Unfaithful Servant .... Neil is one of the greats, no doubt, but besides the journey through into the past, Robertson's last album was terrific as is everything he's done and Young's last several have been anything but. And then there's Trans.  

Actually, Neil's Tran show was really good. 
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:15 AM »

Actually, Neil's Tran show was really good. 

Well, we're really going to have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm a pretty huge Neil Young fan, however, unlike Dylan there is a lot of stuff I just don't like all that much. I have all his albums up to and including Le Noise which left me flat and made me decide it was the last NY album I'd buy sight unseen sound unheard. Haven't really cared for much of his stuff after Harvest Moon and almost none of the things he's done this century other than Prairie Wind although I liked a lot of Psychedelic Pill. I generally prefer his work with Crazy Horse.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 02:19:34 AM »

See, after blood on the tracks, Dylan has left me bored.  So, we will have to agree to disagree.  Maybe that was the genius of the Beatles ...... they quit at the right time. We all thought it was too soon, but, well, look at the Stones.  Total embarrassment.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »

A matter of subjective taste. 
Pretty much sums it when you get down to the nitty gritty

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 12:29:54 PM »

See, after blood on the tracks, Dylan has left me bored.  So, we will have to agree to disagree.  Maybe that was the genius of the Beatles ...... they quit at the right time. We all thought it was too soon, but, well, look at the Stones.  Total embarrassment.

I think the trio of albums Dylan made in the late 90's, early oughts, matches some of his best work. Especially Love and Theft. And call me crazy but I dig this Sinatra-ish thing he's doing now. His new CD, Triplicate, should be at the door today according to Amazon Prime. Tea comes in many flavors, I guess.     
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »

I think the trio of albums Dylan made in the late 90's, early oughts, matches some of his best work. Especially Love and Theft. And call me crazy but I dig this Sinatra-ish thing he's doing now. His new CD, Triplicate, should be at the door today according to Amazon Prime. Tea comes in many flavors, I guess.     

Well, the Beatles Anthology, released after their breakup, are great, but I don't consider them as being contemporary Beatles music.  Anyhow, you like Dylan, and I suspect that you always will.  It is just a matter of preferenc.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 04:10:32 PM »

Well, the Beatles Anthology, released after their breakup, are great, but I don't consider them as being contemporary Beatles music.  Anyhow, you like Dylan, and I suspect that you always will.  It is just a matter of preferenc.

Exactly. To me, however, The Beatles and Dylan travel(ed) in a sphere all their own.   
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »

This posting started out with: "Okay, question for you Canadians about the popularity of Canadian artists - at least those from "my era"
Never knew that Dylan and the Beatles were Canadians, although like everybody else they probably wannabe as Canada tends to be the seat of all true talent.  At any rate cool thread. 
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: