Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long time injury to my fretting pinky, thinking of getting it fixed  (Read 673 times)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2017, 03:53:17 AM »

Bent back fret hand pinky finger

This happened perhaps 4 or 5 years ago getting it jammed while catching a basketball.  I'm playing more and more bass and it makes stretch-fretting of any kind almost impossible with the pinky.  Also makes octave playing with left hand on keys pretty hard to do.

Anyone had this kind of problem where any of your fingers bends backwards like that?  I am thinking about seeing a hand surgeon, but don't want to risk further injury.

I took a picture of what my right hand pinky looks like and even in that picture, as I pull back on it with my left hand pinky, you can see the left hand pinky all bent funky.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 02:32:04 AM »

Yikes!  Have you at least consulted with a doctor to see what the specifics of the damage are?  I've jammed fingers...and that same pinky actually...a number of times but never seen that sort of thing.  Maybe there is an intermediate solution such as physical therapy?

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »

Sorry to hear about your pinky, it seems as we get older all sorts of hand afflictions pop up to hinder our guitar playing.  Tendonitis in the fingers has been one of my more recent problems, on top of dealing with the arthritis issues.  There are some good articles about hand/arm massage, finger exercises, etc. that help some...

George
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:30:40 AM »

For anyone who was interested....Two fixes, one from the Dr. and then my High-Tech fix; in a blog post with plenty of photos.

Goose-Neck Injury - can be fixed without surgery, or at least helped

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 06:07:01 AM »

That is way cool!  Glad to see you found a solution!

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:42:06 PM »

About a year ago I began 6 weeks of occupational therapy for trigger thumb with a woman who specialized in treating musicians.
On my first visit she said, "Oh yeah, I get all you guys sooner or later".
What she meant was, lots of college freshman, you know, who had a good time playing violin in the high school orchestra for four years. Then they get to college as a music major and suddenly they are practicing intensely for 8 or more hours/day and they do some serious damage to their hands.
And then of course there's folks my age for whom things are simply starting to break down.
While I got some relief with the addition of some steroid treatments, I ended up with surgery in April of this year.
Problem solved. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »

About a year ago I began 6 weeks of occupational therapy for trigger thumb with a woman who specialized in treating musicians.
On my first visit she said, "Oh yeah, I get all you guys sooner or later".
What she meant was, lots of college freshman, you know, who had a good time playing violin in the high school orchestra for four years. Then they get to college as a music major and suddenly they are practicing intensely for 8 or more hours/day and they do some serious damage to their hands.
And then of course there's folks my age for whom things are simply starting to break down.
While I got some relief with the addition of some steroid treatments, I ended up with surgery in April of this year.
Problem solved. 
Mark a little update on my trigger finger. I asked my Doctor if I stretched my finger backwards would it help. She said it might.
   So I began stretching it back, which was very painful at first and for several months. But it stopped locking up and eventually, no pain at all. I could hardly believe it.
    I hate any kind of operation, so this result was wonderful.

This was my middle finger on my fretting hand.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »

Mark a little update on my trigger finger. I asked my Doctor if I stretched my finger backwards would it help. She said it might.
   So I began stretching it back, which was very painful at first and for several months. But it stopped locking up and eventually, no pain at all. I could hardly believe it.
    I hate any kind of operation, so this result was wonderful.

This was my middle finger on my fretting hand.
That's very good news, Danny.
Yes,, surgery is always a last resort, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm very glad that you didn't have to go through that.
As surgeries go, mine was fairly minor, thankfully (30 minutes, local anesthetic). Doctor had me test it before he closed up the wound to ensure there was no nerve damage resulting from his handiwork.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: