Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The City of New Orleans  (Read 375 times)
markj

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »

Saturday evening I started to learn this song. I had no idea what the chords or lyrics were, except for the chorus. lol. Remembering lyrics, keeping my vocals in tune (or what I perceive at the time to be in tune lol) and the strumming/picking patterns, notes and timing all in sync, is quite challenging and very fun! It is probably very evident that I have never had a voice lesson in my life but I don't think it sounds as bad as fingernails on a chalkboard or anything.

Played on my L-03. Recorded with a Zoom H6 using an AY4040 on the guitar and another AT4040 Condenser for the vocals. Live, no edits.

https://soundcloud.com/marks-recordings/the-city-of-new-orleans-1
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:41:10 PM »

It is probably very evident that I have never had a voice lesson in my life but I don't think it sounds as bad as fingernails on a chalkboard or anything.
Mark,
This is good! Your voice I am jealous of, you sing quite well. You have a deep and rich voice.
I love City Of New Orleans. I heard Steve Goodman's demo on the radio before he ever had a contract, in the 70's before I moved away from Chicago.
Your strumming is much better than mine. Since I started playing guitar after a long layoff, I have not really been able to strum, just finger pick.
Maybe I will be inspired to do a picking version?
Please record more.
Mike
markj

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 01:15:51 AM »

Thank you for the kind words Mike!  I look forward to hearing your version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: