New Larrivee owner, need electronics advice

Started by dmw319, March 27, 2017, 08:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just bought a brand new 2016 OM-40 12-fret sunburst acoustic. I need to add a pickup to it and need suggestions. Let's hear em!

Thanks!

For what I do, K&K Pure Western is "it", coupled with an Ultrasound Amp, or a K&K Pure Preamp when I plug into a bigger PA.  Sounds great, and no big mess of gear inside the guitar.

YMMV

Ed

4 or my five Larrivee stage guitars have the LR Baggs element system.
easy instal, consistent sound, and both FOH and monitor desk engineers have no problem dealing up good sound, with nearly zero attack transience (unless I lean on the guitar.

I have 2 Larrivee OM sunburst guitars  with this system, as well as a C-09 BZ.

you'll hear as many opinions  here as there is pick ups......
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on March 27, 2017, 12:27:56 PM

you'll hear as many opinions  here as there is pick ups......

Sometimes more opinions than pickups!  Lol!

Ed

K&K fan here.  I don't have any experience with the other systems, however.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

thanks yall! I'm leaning towards the lr bags element so far.  :guitar

For me, a Fishman Matrix Infinity.  No cut installation and I like the hidden soundhole controls.

LR Baggs makes a similar unit called the Element, but the Baggs UST is thicker and softer than Fishman's version, so it takes a bit more effort to cut a new saddle.

The K&K is a fine pickup if you don't mind carting around a bunch of external boxes to make it sound good.  At a minimum you need a DI box with ground lift, and depending on the house system, an external preamp can be very desirable.  Given those constraints, I'll never use a K&K again.  I want a simple plug and play, and the K&K just doesn't deliver on that score.

Quote from: AZLiberty on April 01, 2017, 02:36:16 PM
The K&K is a fine pickup if you don't mind carting around a bunch of external boxes to make it sound good.  At a minimum you need a DI box with ground lift, and depending on the house system, an external preamp can be very desirable.  Given those constraints, I'll never use a K&K again.  I want a simple plug and play, and the K&K just doesn't deliver on that score.

I've never needed anything more than a K&K Pure Preamp, and going into most acoustic amps, I don't even need that.  The idea of having a bunch of crap (batteries, preamps, etc. ad nauseum) inside my guitar has negative appeal to me.  I've seen a guitar that had a "secure battery holder" fail.  No thanks.  Barn doors are even worse.  But, if it's what you like, more power to you.

Ed

I have a LR Baggs Anthem in my D-04 and am extremely happy with it. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these recommendations.
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

:+1:  for the K & K.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W