Incoming.... Martin.

Started by obe-wan, March 27, 2017, 04:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know I know, I'm looking for the right Larrivee, but they're pretty thin on the ground here in Oz at the moment. That's my story and I'm sticking to it anyway.  :blush:

A notification popped up on my phone that a shop here in Oz had just got a 0-28VS in on trade.... a few emails later I took the plunge and put a deposit on it. I normally wouldn't do this without playing or hearing it but I've heard nothing but glowing reviews on this model and it's in great condition. It should make a nice companion to my OM-21. Probably won't have it for around another month or two.

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

First its good to hear from you its been a long time.Looks nice can't wait to hear your review. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Beautiful guitar - good on ya, mate!

You just answered the question I asked in the "never ending thread" - the guitar you're playing in the pic is an OM-21? Nice!

I've become an unabashed fan (and something of a convert) to Martin's lately (I now have three: a 2015 D-35/50; a 2012 "redesigned" D-18, and a '68 nylon 00-16C), but I'm also still a Larrivee lover (note my recent purchase of/and the rebuild/lefty conversion of a '79 L-19).

Martin is making some very nice - and nice sounding guitars these days. That little one looks like it will sing beautifully! Don't blame you for snagging it unplayed/unheard!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on March 27, 2017, 09:17:03 AM
First its good to hear from you its been a long time.Looks nice can't wait to hear your review. :wave

G'day Rob, yup it's been a while. Was looking out for a 12 fret slot head Larrivee but man that stuffs hard to find here. I'm coming over to Montana in October so I may end up taking something back home with me. A P-05 would make a nice little travel guitar....  :wink:

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 27, 2017, 10:31:11 AM
Beautiful guitar - good on ya, mate!

You just answered the question I asked in the "never ending thread" - the guitar you're playing in the pic is an OM-21? Nice!

I've become an unabashed fan (and something of a convert) to Martin's lately (I now have three: a 2015 D-35/50; a 2012 "redesigned" D-18, and a '68 nylon 00-16C), but I'm also still a Larrivee lover (note my recent purchase of/and the rebuild/lefty conversion of a '79 L-19).

Martin is making some very nice - and nice sounding guitars these days. That little one looks like it will sing beautifully! Don't blame you for snagging it unplayed/unheard!

They are indeed. I reckon they need to lay off the signature models a bit though, some of the artists they're making guitars for I've never heard of. I don't get out much though.

The Vintage series Martins are great though, not ridiculous money and sound and feel really nice. I nearly dropped the hammer on a 00-18V a while back.... shoulda....  :blush:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Everyone should have a Martin or two.  Great  guitar Scott.

Those are really good sounding guitars, but the V kills it for me.  Shooting nerve pain in my left thumb every time I play one of those necks.

Quote from: AZLiberty on March 27, 2017, 08:15:16 PM
Those are really good sounding guitars, but the V kills it for me.  Shooting nerve pain in my left thumb every time I play one of those necks.

That's no good mate, I had similar problems years ago when I started learning ragtime. Those big stretches to get the walking bass thing happening wreaked havoc on my wrist.
I once had a National Delphi with a huge V neck. If you can play one of those you can play anything!

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: AZLiberty on March 27, 2017, 08:15:16 PM

Those are really good sounding guitars, but the V kills it for me.  Shooting nerve pain in my left thumb every time I play one of those necks.

Yeah, "V" necks kill it for me, too... I much prefer the shape of Larrivee's necks - and a couple of the new Martin neck profiles. I've got a couple Ovations I'm getting ready to sell for several reasons, but part of the reason is they're "older ones" (early '80's and '90's) with a strong V neck - something Charlie Kaman copied from Martin.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Hey Scott, great to see you here again!

I tried a used 0-28VS the other day at a local shop.  So nice!  Small but powerful.  You'll be happy!

Quote from: Denis on April 01, 2017, 07:21:13 PM
Hey Scott, great to see you here again!

I tried a used 0-28VS the other day at a local shop.  So nice!  Small but powerful.  You'll be happy!

G'day Denis, how are you doing mate? Yep I'm really looking forward to getting it.  :nana_guitar

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Nice.........BIG Congrats mate! I love the 'V' neck, sold my 00-18V and OM-28V last year but still have my OM-18V. Will be different after playing the 21 for so long, but you'll get use to it.

Nice going anyway mate, yes it is always nice to have a Martin or two in the stable, they are fantastic! I just purchased a new 000-18 not so long ago, boy what a guitar.

Anyway mate nice hearin from you again, hope to see some pic's and can't wait for your review.

Quote from: fongie on April 05, 2017, 05:00:47 PM
Nice.........BIG Congrats mate! I love the 'V' neck, sold my 00-18V and OM-28V last year but still have my OM-18V. Will be different after playing the 21 for so long, but you'll get use to it.

Nice going anyway mate, yes it is always nice to have a Martin or two in the stable, they are fantastic! I just purchased a new 000-18 not so long ago, boy what a guitar.

Anyway mate nice hearin from you again, hope to see some pic's and can't wait for your review.

Hey mate how you going?  Sent you a PM.  :thumb

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Nice looking guitar. Nothing like a 12 fret and I like the old style decal on the slotted head too.

Quote from: teh on April 09, 2017, 08:31:17 AM
Nice looking guitar. Nothing like a 12 fret and I like the old style decal on the slotted head too.

Yep it's a cool looking little guitar. I'm getting impatient to pick it up I tell ya!

I'm GASing for a 00-50 or 60 now..... gotta fill that gap between the OM and the O. And it should be a Larrivee me thinks.  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

I like your taste in guitars, Scott.  Let us know how it fares once you receive it. 

Quote from: ryler on April 16, 2017, 07:57:26 PM
I like your taste in guitars, Scott.  Let us know how it fares once you receive it. 

Thanks Ryler, I think we have similar tastes in Guitars, OM's, small 12 frets.  :thumbsup
I'm in a bit of a minimalising phase with a bunch of other stuff I've accumulated over the years, the plan is to use any funds generated from that to fund Guitars (and pick up the 0-28 off lay-buy).

Guitars should never be subject to minimalism btw...  :guitar

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Looks really nice Scott. I know this is torture, having to wait.

Have you played it yet?

Quote from: Danny on April 17, 2017, 01:07:24 PM
Looks really nice Scott. I know this is torture, having to wait.

Have you played it yet?

No mate it's in the next state, about 8 hrs away.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.