Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought my first Larrivee!  (Read 1043 times)
Burstbucker

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2017, 08:37:40 AM »

Hi guys,

I was on the prowl for a good acoustic guitar, I was mostly on the hunt for a dreadnought and I just found myself a doozy!

It's a used D-50 mahogany dreadnought (traditional series) with lots of fancy appointments like an ebony fingerboard and ebony bridge, bone nut and saddle, Indian Rosewood headplate ,Herring Bone purfling, maple body binding, maple heal cap and maple fingerboard binding, but unlike the latest D-50s with the Herring Bone rosette, this one has abalone.  It also has the old-fashion style open gear tuners like what you see on Martin D-18s, I noticed that the latest versions of the D-50 use something different than what's on mine, they have plastic ends.  This guitar was built in April of 2003.

I love the sound of this guitar, mahogany back and sides and finished in gloss, I couldn't be any happier.  There is one flaw though, there's a crack in the top from the bridge down to the Herring Bone purfling.  The guy that sold me this guitar had owned it for two years and said that the guy that he bought it from said that he had the crack repaired and it never changed over at least the last two years, I got the guitar for a really good price IMHO because of this, after a bit of haggling I ended paying $800.00 Canadian ($595.00 USD) and will get my repair guy to have a look at it and do a set-up to get her as good as possible.

These higher end Larrivees typically go for not much less than a Martin here in Canada.

Absolutely amazing sound!  I don't remember playing a guitar with such a great sound, thank you very much Jean and company, you guys really know your stuff!

I will get some photos soon and post them on this thread and give you guys an update if anybody is interested.  I'm gonna love this guitar!
Burstbucker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot that it also has an ebony fingerboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, Larrivee hardshell case and the guy threw in a guitar humidifier too.  Another thing that I didn't mention is that the previous owner installed a Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup system in it, not something that I'm likely to use but what the heck, it's an extra.   Pretty sweet!
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »

Nice choice! Congrats! Welcome to the forum and be sure to take a look over the rules. Also, share some pics of your Larrivee if you can.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Burstbucker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 11:21:29 AM »

Thanks!

I will try to upload some pictures soon.  She's a beauty.
Burstbucker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »

I was curious about what year this guitar was built.  The serial number is 65603 and according to the Larrivee site it's April 21st 2003.

I figured correctly that it was probably a 2003 but now I know for sure.

Back then they had a rosette made of abalone I think it is but the later models dropped the abalone in favour ofa Herring Bone rosette.

Maybe they wanted to tame down the bling and go with a more traditional looking top?
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 07:05:52 AM »

Man, that was a heck of a deal!  I wish I could run into a deal like that!  Pretty awesome guitar, you got there.  That's one of those Last Guitar You'll Ever Need guitars.  I barely knew what a Larrivee was a week ago, but now I've studied so much about them I feel like an old hand.  Had never heard one, but then a few days ago, I heard a D-03, and I fell in love instantly.  Unfortunately, I've already bought two Guilds this month and have a Blueridge BR-140 that hasn't even arrived yet, so I've decided I'm going to take a few weeks, study the different models (it doesn't have to be a dreadnought sized guitar, but I don't want anything much smaller, maybe a L or something) and I want the symmetric parabolic bracing.   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I feel like I may be getting close to getting that Final Guitar myself.   Man, as many as I've bought, I should be!!     
Burstbucker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:19:24 AM »

Thanks guys,

I could get her back before the end of this week.  I knew this guitar would have been expensive to buy new especially here in Canada, come to find out that Canada's biggest musical instrument chain doesn't even list the D-50 but I did see on Larrivee's website that the MSRP of the D-50 is the same as an L-09 and D-09 and those guitars are listed here and would run you almost $4000.00 Canadian OTD ($3000.00 USD)!  Above my paygrade! wacko  

BTW, I posted a whole bunch of pictures of this guitar on my other thread if you guys wanted to see what I bought, the post is titled :
" NGD: Used D-50 which is in for repairs right now."

pewtergod, it sounds like have yourself quite a collection there!  

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »

Looking forward to Pics

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 06:42:41 PM »

Thanks guys,
pewtergod, it sounds like have yourself quite a collection there!  

I've been thinning it down some,  because my girlfriend was threatening to leave me if I didn't.  I was up over 20 guitars for a while, and it was hard getting down, because I couldn't stop buying them.  It's an addiction.  But I still have over 10, would have to count to say exactly.  For decades, I was fine with one or two guitars, and then a few years ago I decided to upgrade, and that was it.  Had to keep getting more and better guitars.  Collected Yamahas for a while, then Alvarez, then Michael Kelly, Guild, Blueridge, with a few others, like Sigma, Oscar Schmidt, Greg Bennett and Fender and Schecter along the way.  Had to have one guitar just to keep tuned to DADGAD.  I'd love to just find That Guitar, though, in acoustic and electric, of course.  Then get rid of everything but two or three acoustics and one or two electrics. I might actually be able to start saving money again, then.  I have a Korg and a Tascam, etc. to make recordings with, and I've been working on a lot of new stuff for the first time in twenty years.  I don't make huge gobs of money, either.  It's an addiction.  I'll do with a ratty assed car to buy a new guitar.  My girlfriend says sometimes that I love my guitars more than her.  Not that she isn't pretty partial to a couple of them herself.  But I'd hate for it to come down to a choice between her or them.  I'm afraid of what I might pick.
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »

Good luck with the Girlfriend. Larrivee  makes wonderful guitars. I simply love mine.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Burstbucker

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:27 PM »

Oh heck, I might as well post some pictures in this thread since I did start it.  It's still in for repairs for that soundboard crack but that will be fixed soon and be as good as new again.

markj

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 03:03:30 AM »

nice guitar
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »

Back then they had a rosette made of abalone I think it is but the later models dropped the abalone in favour ofa Herring Bone rosette.

Maybe they wanted to tame down the bling and go with a more traditional looking top?

If it was made in CA the change to herringbone was due to US Customs inspections.  Apparently some folks have a difficult time telling the difference between ab-lam and white abalone.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »

It's still in for repairs for that soundboard crack but that will be fixed soon and be as good as new again.

Hopefully, it will be better than new, because it's been played and broken in some...

nice guitar

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Burstbucker

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »

I don't know how much the original owner played it but the guy that I bought it from had it for two years and he's a pro musician that gigged with this thing a lot, so she did get played.

And you should see what a ferocious picker this guy is too, wow!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: