Any opinions on the old 02 series?

Started by sammalone, March 13, 2017, 07:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys,

About to pickup a 98 D02 and was wondering if anyone here had played them/owned them. I called Larrivee and they told me these guitars were nearly identical to the 03s of the time, using Honduran hog as opposed to Sapele like the newer ones. Was Larrivee using rosewood for the fretboard at this time? Sound wise it should be nearly identical to the D03s of the time correct?

Quote from: sammalone on March 13, 2017, 07:58:40 PM
Hey guys,

About to pickup a 98 D02 and was wondering if anyone here had played them/owned them. I called Larrivee and they told me these guitars were nearly identical to the 03s of the time, using Honduran hog as opposed to Sapele like the newer ones. Was Larrivee using rosewood for the fretboard at this time? Sound wise it should be nearly identical to the D03s of the time correct?

Like all Larrivee acoustics it will have an ebony fret board unless I am sadly mistaken. It will be a fine guitar, in all likelihood. And Yes it should sound much like a D-03 remembering that every guitar is an individual.     

Ebony.

The Binding on the -02 was different.  Maybe bound but without purfling. As I recall, the binding was reversed from the -03, so dark binding on the neck and white binding on the body.

Late 90's D02-12 owner here.  They're great. If you see a good price, go for it. There are few acoustics that compare in that price range, IMO.  I also owned a same-era D03 and they're very similar.  The only quality deference being cosmetic.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: sammalone on March 13, 2017, 07:58:40 PM
I called Larrivee and they told me these guitars were nearly identical to the 03s of the time, using Honduran hog as opposed to Sapele like the newer ones.

Actually what I said was >>> We experimented with Sapele for a couple years in the mid 2000's. 

*The only Rosewood fingerboards ever used on Larrivée acoustics were the 3rd Generation 02's built in 2015/16

john jr