International Womans day

Started by headsup, March 08, 2017, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Strings4Him on April 06, 2017, 06:59:30 PM
Is truth dead?

Apparently. At least, truth unspun by extreme partisanship.

Quote from: eded on April 06, 2017, 07:42:12 PM
For conservatives in the US, yes.

Ed

We need to be careful here - we're treading near the nuke/thread ending zone.

But the same could be said for rabid liberals (which does not include all liberals). Be careful about lumping all conservatives together...

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 07, 2017, 01:22:45 PM
We need to be careful here - we're treading near the nuke/thread ending zone.

But the same could be said for rabid liberals (which does not include all liberals). Be careful about lumping all conservatives together...

Well said. Extreme partisanship from both sides makes accomplishing anything almost impossible. Unfortunately, extreme partisans on both sides don't seem to own mirrors. They see the mote in their opponents' eye but miss the beam in their own.   

Here's what gets me about all these "days" and special interest deals.  So let's say you just happen to be a woman, or a man, or black, or white, or a Jew, or a Gentile, or African, or Australian, or American, or.... whatever.  So you are just born one day and through no fault or virtue of your own, here you are, and all of a sudden your team is the BEST team of them all.  Now it's time to march for your team, stand up for your team's rights, and say how your team is so under appreciated and should be put up front more, etc, etc.  But then imagine you had been born on a different team, and now that team would be TEAM ONE simply because YOU happen to be on it.   All of this is very ridiculous when one thinks about it. 

There has to be some overarching standard in place that gives value to ALL people, or else it's just everyone fighting to be in the front of the line.  And, really, it all looks pretty silly. 

Quote from: Caleb on April 08, 2017, 09:30:00 AM
Here's what gets me about all these "days" and special interest deals.  So let's say you just happen to be a woman, or a man, or black, or white, or a Jew, or a Gentile, or African, or Australian, or American, or.... whatever.  So you are just born one day and through no fault or virtue of your own, here you are, and all of a sudden your team is the BEST team of them all.  Now it's time to march for your team, stand up for your team's rights, and say how your team is so under appreciated and should be put up front more, etc, etc.  But then imagine you had been born on a different team, and now that team would be TEAM ONE simply because YOU happen to be on it.   All of this is very ridiculous when one thinks about it.  

There has to be some overarching standard in place that gives value to ALL people, or else it's just everyone fighting to be in the front of the line.  And, really, it all looks pretty silly.  

It's not about being put at the front, it's about not being stepped on.

For some of us, it's about seeing the existing structures are wrong.  It's about stopping putting people on teams.

Not understanding this is a sure sign of privilege, and failure to look at the world around you.

Ed

Quote from: eded on April 08, 2017, 10:31:22 AM

For some of us, it's about seeing the existing structures are wrong.  It's about stopping putting people on teams.

Not understanding this is a sure sign of privilege, and failure to look at the world around you.

Ed
I get not wanting to be stepped on, since I don't particularly enjoy it myself.  So let's say the existing structures are "all wrong,"  even in a place where women can do whatever they wish with their bodies, can vote, own property, earn degrees in any field they wish, run for the highest office in the nation (and almost win), serve in combat, etc. (all the "privilege" enjoyed that was denied the women who came before them).  I understand that this isn't the case everywhere in the world, but people don't care about the rest of the world nearly as much as they let on.  They mostly want to be happy at home, where they live - this is Human Nature (not understanding this would be a failure to look at the world around you).  But none of this leveling of the playing field seems to have helped much here in the U.S.  Women are still angry and marching in the streets with vagina hats on to prove it.   So when will the world be fair enough for these rational folks?  Answer: Never.

Quote from: Caleb on April 09, 2017, 09:39:42 AM
I get not wanting to be stepped on, since I don't particularly enjoy it myself.  So let's say the existing structures are "all wrong,"  even in a place where women can do whatever they wish with their bodies, can vote, own property, earn degrees in any field they wish, run for the highest office in the nation (and almost win), serve in combat, etc. (all the "privilege" enjoyed that was denied the women who came before them).  I understand that this isn't the case everywhere in the world, but people don't care about the rest of the world nearly as much as they let on.  They mostly want to be happy at home, where they live - this is Human Nature (not understanding this would be a failure to look at the world around you).  But none of this leveling of the playing field seems to have helped much here in the U.S.  Women are still angry and marching in the streets with vagina hats on to prove it.   So when will the world be fair enough for these rational folks?  Answer: Never.

Women are not treated equally here at home.  They don't make the same money for the same job, there are constant attempts to do away with the freedoms they have with their bodies, they are objectified...  The playing field is hardly level.  I'd say women have plenty reason to wear -CENSORED- hats.  You know part of the effect is that the corners look like cat ears, right?

Ed

Quote from: eded on April 08, 2017, 10:31:22 AM

For some of us, it's about seeing the existing structures are wrong.  It's about stopping putting people on teams.

Ed

Atlantic Charter

AUGUST 14, 1941

The President of the United States of America and the Prime Minister, Mr. Churchill, representing His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom, being met together, deem it right to make known certain common principles in the national policies of their respective countries on which they base their hopes for a better future for the world.

First, their countries seek no aggrandizement, territorial or other;

Second, they desire to see no territorial changes that do not accord with the freely expressed wishes of the peoples concerned;

Third, they respect the right of all peoples to choose the form of government under which they will live; and they wish to see sovereign rights and self government restored to those who have been forcibly deprived of them;

Fourth, they will endeavor, with due respect for their existing obligations, to further the enjoyment by all States, great or small, victor or vanquished, of access, on equal terms, to the trade and to the raw materials of the world which are needed for their economic prosperity;

Fifth, they desire to bring about the fullest collaboration between all nations in the economic field with the object of securing, for all, improved labor standards, economic advancement and social security;

Sixth, after the final destruction of the Nazi tyranny, they hope to see established a peace which will afford to all nations the means of dwelling in safety within their own boundaries, and which will afford assurance that all the men in all lands may live out their lives in freedom from fear and want;

Seventh, such a peace should enable all men to traverse the high seas and oceans without hindrance;

Eighth, they believe that all of the nations of the world, for realistic as well as spiritual reasons must come to the abandonment of the use of force. Since no future peace can be maintained if land, sea or air armaments continue to be employed by nations which threaten, or may threaten, aggression outside of their frontiers, they believe, pending the establishment of a wider and permanent system of general security, that the disarmament of such nations is essential. They will likewise aid and encourage all other practicable measure which will lighten for peace-loving peoples the crushing burden of armaments.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Winston S. Churchill

Now, if it had only become a reality.

Quote from: eded on April 09, 2017, 10:36:25 AM
Women are not treated equally here at home.  They don't make the same money for the same job, there are constant attempts to do away with the freedoms they have with their bodies, they are objectified...  The playing field is hardly level.  I'd say women have plenty reason to wear -CENSORED- hats.  You know part of the effect is that the corners look like cat ears, right?

Ed

So will pussycat be censored, also?  I call my cats pussys.

Ed

Quote from: Strings4Him on April 06, 2017, 06:59:30 PM
Is truth dead?

Men have been trying to accomplish that since the beginning. They are dead and the truth continues to live, and will till the end.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: eded on April 09, 2017, 10:36:25 AM

Ed

Ed, you're right.  Whether anger, marches or days named after a group is part of the answer, I don't know.  I know people hate it when women get angry.  It isn't well-tolerated in U.S. culture.  We women probably don't realize the power we already have if we, ourselves, didn't concede to the cultural values at play.  But we'd have to opt-out in pretty significant ways to make  cultural change.  We're so intertwined with it all.  American women fully realize the rights we enjoy.  We also realize what needs to change.  Women chose to march now because of Trump.  Because he gave voice to misogyny and sexual abuse.  And then we elected him to lead us.  Seems like a good time to march.  A good time to say that as a nation we may have elected you, but we didn't elect THAT.

Quote from: Caleb on April 09, 2017, 09:39:42 AM

More do not March than do March.  It is just the liberal mainstream media covers it like they all March.  Unfortunately for the msm, we have caught on to their tricks.

Quote from: Walkerman on April 16, 2017, 04:18:28 PM
Whaaaaaaaat?

Ah, you're right.  I was focused on lack when I was typing.  I was.  And to focus on lack is to perpetuate lack.  There is all kinds of abundance in being a woman.  This I believe, too.

you kids are funny.I bet you don't talk like this with your mother in the room. :roll
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Just follow the "golden rule", regardless of gender, age, race, religion, nationality, or heritage.

Thanks.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on April 17, 2017, 12:06:18 PM
Just follow the "golden rule", regardless of gender, age, race, religion, nationality, or heritage.

Thanks.
:thumb