$500 Budget...any Input?

Started by SlowFingers, February 25, 2005, 07:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was in the same boat as you too until I found my budget expanded. I found the Seagull M6 for $390, on sale sometimes for $300. You can find them really cheap. I love the sound... one thing made me dislike them--the wide nut. It was too wide for me. But looks like you would love it. My fingers are small and skinny so I dont' mind skinny nuts at all. I thought the Seagullls really balanced in tone, though the S series really had no appeal and the M series did, maybe it was just the mahogany I prefered.

I tried Breedlove too. The first time I tried them, I absolutely loved them. The second time, I didn't like them so much. I'm not sure what happened--quite possibly the first time I tried the rosewood models, which I loved the sound, and the other models were the cheaper models. I did notice that the action was quite high on all the ones that I tried. Sure that's changeable, but with my little experience I couldn't tell if I liked the guitar or not because of it. I threw out Breedlove, especially because that's when I realized for $200 more I could find out what the fuss was about Larrivée. And of course, after trying one, I realized I had to have one.. oh and I settled on the D-03R I believe. I have yet to buy one though! Still want to make sure, waiting for some other things.

However, if my budget was still limited like yours and I didn't want to buy used, I'd buy a Seagull. If you didn't mind buying used, I'd buy a Larrivée. If ebay makes you nervous, quickly snatch up that one at Elderly's music! that's a well-known place. If ebay doesn't make you nervous, check out the others' suggestions and you can get an even nicer guitar... appointment-wise... for under $500.

I tried Garrisons. I did not like them at all. Unimpressive. Some people love them. I also tried Waldens, found them decent, but also not so impressive. Couldn't find a local blueridge dealer, and the tacomas... i'm sorry to say almost, but I find not quite styled to my taste to buy them.

Good luck.
The artist formerly known as larriboy
Larrivée D-03R

Ya know, I gave serious consideration to the Larrivee on Elderly, but really, I have never even seen a Larrivee in person, much less had a chance to play one. I have not found any dealers around here at all. The feedback I have heard on them is incredibly positive, but I would still have liked to buy a brand I have at least seen and heard (even if not the exact same guitar). So, maybe next time for the Larrivee.

Well, for anyone interested, I had a heck of a day today. I drove 90+ miles to Texarkana to check out an S6+ Spruce that the shop there told me they had. When I got there, not only did they not have it, but it is not even a model they carry. I tried out an M6 Gloss, and liked it, but they were too high on their price, in my eyes. Well, $450 with no case is not terrible, but I was already a little PO'd at these guys for making me drive so far when they did not have what I asked for. Anyway, the guitar was nice, but in my head there was no way I was buying from these guys.

So, I get home and start calling around. Seagulls are in short supply, apparently, and the guys who have them have jacked up their prices lately. Lynch Music had what I wanted on clearance for $287 or so, but were out when I got home and called them. Finally, I talked to a guy who had the M6 gloss at a good price. At first, I was going to do as someone else suggested and just buy a lower priced case elsewhere to save a bit of money. The guy was insistent that I would want a case for this guitar (he thinks highly of the M6), so he matched the lowest price I said I had seen on any case.

So, all told, I am getting a Seagull M6 with an SKB hardshell case for $425 shipped price. Not a bad deal. I might could have found a better deal overall somewhere had I kept looking, but this guy was super nice to deal with and helpful. I will give his name, business, and glowing feedback once I have the guitar in my hands and can check it out.

My Guitars
Larrrivee OM-03
Seagull M6 Gloss
http://photos.yahoo.com/rttadlock

I agree, that is an excellent choice and a great sounding guitar, if I had no Larrivée dealer closeby that is what I would've gone for too! Congrats!
The artist formerly known as larriboy
Larrivée D-03R

A friend was faced with the same choice a few years ago. I looked around and the best I found for the money was a D-01 which, coincidentally, was my introduction to Larrivee. It took me a few years to come around myself. We got it for $400 with a hardshell case.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I would look for a Norman, but otherwise the Seagull is a killer guitar in that price range. I also am growing fond of the Waltons. Also, I am sure Unclrob can find you a used Martin for around that price. The road series (DM, DCM, 000M) Martins are sure a nice guitar.
--Fred

Excellent choice.  I think you will be very pleased.  (See my signature, below.  ;) )  Also, a good price for a new M6 with hard shell case.  You still have plenty of money for an electronic tuner and several sets of strings to try.

Congratulations!  Please do post pictures and reviews of guitar and dealer.  :)
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

Good choice, I'm sure you will be happy with your new Seagull. I met Robert Godin last year at a music store where they were showcasing the Seagull guitar line and he is very passionate about the quality and the workmanship that goes into his guitars. He said he spent years making guitars for some of the bigger names in the U.S. before bringing out his own lines. Give us a review when you get a chance.
Brian M.

Arguably the most recognized fingerstylist playing Seagulls is Pepino D'Agostino. His playing is phenomenal and his artist's series Seagulls sure sound good on his recordings.
Enjoy your new instrument!

QuoteArguably the most recognized fingerstylist playing Seagulls is Pepino D'Agostino. His playing is phenomenal and his artist's series Seagulls sure sound good on his recordings.
Enjoy your new instrument!
Orsino, I enjoyed your playing on your site. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

SF
My Guitars
Larrrivee OM-03
Seagull M6 Gloss
http://photos.yahoo.com/rttadlock

Thanks for the kind words SF. Good luck with the Seagull. A new guitar is an exciting thing!

seagull is a good choice for a quality instrument. gotta be careful on some models, as their cedar tends to be a bit soft, but you chose spruce. my friend has a cedar top that he's all but destroyed from his stumming. i think it looks cool tho.

i helped out another friend not long ago get a first good guitar. he was sold on seagull....but then he found a Martin and it was over....

My only suggestion would be to get as much real, solid wood you can for the price. Beware of laminated tops, and to a lesser extent, laminated backs. I'm not so certain if the sides actually impart anything to the guitar sound.

Also, quality always has a better resale value, so you may want to take that into consideration.

If your just learning guitar, you should really try what you want before you buy. You'll want to make certain that the action on the guitar is adjusted to a comfortable level (the height of the strings off of the fret board). A lot of the lower end guitars have actions which are way too high to fret easily. You'll end up getting frustrated very quickly if it hurts like the dickens everytime you try to play.

Saying that, the Breedlove's would likely fit your bill, and ebay is a very cost effective option.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Congrats on the M6.  Sounds like you got a pretty good deal and you certainly got a guitar that you will really enjoy playing.  That makes all the difference in the world when you are starting out.  Look forward to hearing a review.
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

slow......go with the Seagull.....but go for the Folk model.  They have a wider neck, play very well, sound good with the cedar top, and look cool too.  You can get one for under $500 and you will like it for a long time.  I love Larrivee too, but as a new player, you will feel just as good learning on a guitar like Seagull, and you won't wince everytime you bump or bang it.  Get a hard shell case for it though......that is a must for any guitar you plan to keep.  Have fun.  Enjoy.
Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"