Updating the Larrivee LR Baggs Electronics.

Started by Crocefan4life, February 26, 2017, 04:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Technology has changed a lot in the past 15 years. Chips are smaller and they can pack more features into the same box. I bought a used Larrivee D-09 with the LR Baggs system.  I think it's from about 2002 or so.

I'm not sure if this is the Anthem or not. I don't see much to identify the electronics. I can take a better photo later today.

It would be nice to get updated electronics. A XLR jack and maybe one that includes a tuner. I currently use a Peterson Strobotuner, stomp tuner on stage.

Is this an easy option? Drop in and replace? Can you point me to the LR Baggs model that fits?

I don't want to significantly modify the guitar. I would save the old Baggs unit for when the guitar is eventually resold.

Also, is it OK to clean the Baggs slider controls? I bought a can of contact cleaner from Stew Mac. They sell CAIG DeoxIT Pot & Switch Cleaner. I also bought the volume control adapter that can force cleaner into the pot without disassembling the guitar.

Thats not an Anthem to early for them.The Anthem has an internal mic and under the saddle pu.Yes its ok to use electronics cleaner I do it all the time,Remove the controls and open the box so that you can better clean the sliders.I'm not sure that Baggs offer's a control unit with a tuner built in.I have never found body mounted controls to ever match size's from company to company{hope that came out right}.You better off with a good direct box then having an XLR mounted jack as the jacks in the guitar turns the battery on and off.By the way the pix of that beautiful woman need to be removed {parent showing thru}.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Here is a close up of the control unit.

I changed the link in the OP to show the image. So the full album's contents isn't shown. This is a 12 year old account with a mishmash of photos and screen caps that I referenced in forum posts. Nothing inappropriate or adult. I can't reorganize it without breaking 12 years of links.

Just says Larrivee Mix. I'd love to know more precisely which LR Baggs unit this is.

I had hoped the newer models would use the same mounting bezel.

I am very interested in the LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI pre Amp pedal.

But the Larrivee will be going through its old control unit first. I don't think there's a bypass switch that gives a clean unprocessed signal.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SessionDI?adpos=1o2&creative=103263529321&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=SessionDI&gclid=Cj0KEQiAlsrFBRCAxcCB54XElLEBEiQA_ei0DL9NhFNhz_v5pZlUFRygnS8DP2RqWnj-LHsXw2ltQnQaAnB98P8HAQ

That would be the IMIX system.  I have that in my OM 05 and personally really like it.

Hope that helps?!

That helps a lot! Now I have a name to Google. I don't have any paperwork on this used guitar. I didn't know anything about the electronics in it.

Thank you Frasier1.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it was the LR Baggs iMix system but you have probably figured that out by now.

:guitar

It has LR Baggs imprinted on the bezel. Google finds their recent products.

iMix helps narrow the search a lot. I just downloaded a manual from LR Baggs. I learned they recommend the mix control should normally be at 12 o'clock.

Quote from: Crocefan4life on February 27, 2017, 01:06:00 AMI learned they recommend the mix control should normally be at 12 o'clock.

I know that is where I find my best sound although it is nice to have the dual source for options.  The Imix is a great p/u that I suggest not discarding till you've had some
time with it, just a thought!   Enjoy that guitar!!!   :nana_guitar

I enjoy playing the Larrivee D09. It's easy to play and sounds great.

I won't make any significant changes. I try to keep my guitars original for possible resale and future collectors.

I just wanted to see if updating the control unit was a simple option. A change I could reverse later if needed.

I normally don't buy acoustic guitars with factory electronics. This was a $925 deal on eBay that was too good to pass up.

I checked other completed auctions and vintage D09's from the early 00's were about $1200 and up. I really wanted to buy my first Larrivee and this was a good buy.

That lead to buying a a used two year old P09.

I swear it'll be the last Larrivee  purchase...

For awhile.  LOL :D

The following is the only LR Baggs system that "might" be a replacement, but I am not positive on this so don't take my word! 

http://shorelinemusic.com/collections/lr-baggs/products/lr-baggs-anthem-stage-pro

I hope that helps?!!

D.

Looks promising. I'll try to find the installation manuel and check the hole size. Then I'll ask my guitar tech if it can be done.  He does all my work.

Thank you Frasier1.