Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has GOTM run its course ?  (Read 2547 times)
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 04:47:09 AM »

I really like seeing the GOTM but maybe change the entry to just an admin pick of a photo posted on the forum that month. I say this because, after being a member for 3+ years I still don't even know how one enters the contest. So, I think adding a "share your guitar pics thread" for those already owning Larrivee's and picking between that and the NGSs would maybe be better.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 04:49:19 AM »

There is a nomination thread. That's where you put your picture. As easy as falling off a log.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
markj

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 05:21:08 AM »

The nomination thread is locked.

I was going to nominate 247hoopsfan's guitar,  but I can't.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 05:24:52 AM »

The nomination thread is locked.

I was going to nominate 247hoopsfan's guitar,  but I can't.
short month, may have been locked a bit earlier. I had a nomination myself. So we would have had at least three. The one that is Nominated is certainly worthy.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »

There is a nomination thread. That's where you put your picture. As easy as falling off a log.
You missed the point. If I haven't seen the nomination thread after posting a few hundred times, many others probably aren't seeing it, especially newcomers. The fact that no one is participating seems to back that theory up.

D-02-12
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »

You missed the point. If I haven't seen the nomination thread after posting a few hundred times, many others probably aren't seeing it, especially newcomers. The fact that no one is participating seems to back that theory up.
okay

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »

I really like seeing the GOTM but maybe change the entry to just an admin pick of a photo posted on the forum that month. I say this because, after being a member for 3+ years I still don't even know how one enters the contest. So, I think adding a "share your guitar pics thread" for those already owning Larrivee's and picking between that and the NGSs would maybe be better.

There already is a pictures thread here:  http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?board=10.0  It doesn't seem to get used much however.  I think many miss the "nomination" thread because they don't check in as often as a smaller set of us "regulars".  Maybe all is needed is for the admins to bump the nominate thread more often?  I like the GOTM process as it is now because at least any members who give a rat's bum and care to vote have a say in what picture gets posted; even if they are a tiny percentage of the total membership.  Participation and interest seems to fluctuate from month to month, but that is OK with me.  A kick in the bum thread like this one usually boosts the interest again for awhile.

I wouldn't want to saddle the admin with picking the GOTM even though I am sure they would do a good job.  That process puts more stress on them in picking the "best" one which is subjective.  Maybe in a case where there are zero nominations, they could do that, and I guess they would.  The assumption is we don't want the same guitar pictured on the home page for more than a month right?  Believe it or not, there are some who would protest that their guitar should have been picked and would protest the decision by the admins.

A while back, there was a member that actually left this forum because he thought that his nominated guitar was unfairly beat out by another guitar based on what he thought was a technical error in the voting process.  So he, and maybe some other members take the GOTM pretty seriously.  A vote by members is the best option in my opinion.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »

OK Thanks all -my take away from the above is:

- leave the foundation well enough alone
- consider a thread that that details the mechanics of choosing a GOTM - will do that
- consider allowing a picture of a previous GOTM to qualify again - so long as clearly not same picture -will think about this idea as has merit but also cons
- I also believe A vote by members is the best option - not likely gonna change that

Thanks again for your thoughts and if you have additional - please post away

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »

Whatever thread is being used for the GOTM, it should be a sticky in the general discussion (Larrivee guitars)  section if it's going to get any attention.  I know that may not seem like the appropriate place to put it but all the traffic is there. 
Personally, it's the area I check about 90% of the time.

D-02-12
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »

There's a little link in the upper right hand corner. "Show unread posts since last visit." You will always see the nomination thread.   
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »

There's a little link in the upper right hand corner. "Show unread posts since last visit." You will always see the nomination thread.   

That is my default for when I look at the forum...  unless I make a concerted effort, I never see the picture.  Hmmm...  I see them if I look at the nomination or poll threads.

Ed
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »

That is my default for when I look at the forum...  unless I make a concerted effort, I never see the picture.  Hmmm...  I see them if I look at the nomination or poll threads.

Ed

+1  mine too...

George
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 06:12:33 PM »

For those who may not have been around back then...   the original GOTM pictures were selected by the admin. or someone close to them from the photo section.   My OM-03R in July of 2008 was probably one of the last GOTM by declaration.    It was decided to let members play a bigger part in the process so the idea of having nominations and member voting was born.   The quality of the photos on our home page have always been top notch in my opinion.  True, we have had some winners who were professional photographers but for the most part, its just been regular people who have Larrivee and a good photographic eye.   One thing that has remained constant is that the least expensive model stands just as good a chance as the most expensive one and everyone has an equal footing.   It would be nice to see more participation..   I look forward to  the entries each month.     Those who use creativity and attention to detail usually garner a lot of votes.  At a time when virtually everyone has a good camera in their phone (well except Unclerob,  sorry I can't get used to your new handle Rob) there's no excuse for not posting interesting pics of your Larrivee.

I don't believe the GOTM has run it's course.   But it does need an infusion of enthusiasm ....in whatever form that may take.

ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »

I like the Guitar of the Month process and outcomes.

Giving it a little more prominence would be good.

Now add a belt buckle or a t-shirt or a truss rod tool to the process and this might get a little more traction. But there I go, spending someone else's money.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »

I like the Guitar of the Month process and outcomes.

Giving it a little more prominence would be good.

Now add a belt buckle or a t-shirt or a truss rod tool to the process and this might get a little more traction. But there I go, spending someone else's money.

Sorry, the old forum prize closet is empty 
vates

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »

Please, do not close the GOTM just yet! I am still about to make some good pictures and post them :)

Serge

2009 Larrivée F-III LS-03RHB #36
2009 Larrivée A-33
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »

maybe open the parameters up a bit?

allow more than one larrivee in a pic?

maybe find ways to have the GTOM but then with appreciative on lookers, kids, grand parents, wives, audience what ever.

I suggest open up the rules to make thing more interesting and fun, rather than the "calender" approach...
or play with monthly "themes to make things interesting, like coolest Larrivee shot under Niagara Falls or something (you get what I mean right-not THAT idea)

just a thought here....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »

That's it. We need to buy more guitars!

cop wacko bowdown

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »

I always think about the guitar in the picture and not about the background, or how much thought it took to establish a "unique" setting to photograph it in.  Someone mentioned being a talented photographer with a feel for the theme was part of the requisite?   None of my 21 Larrivee's have ever won the GOTM and it is OK with me if none ever win, if being a pro photographer is more important than the pristine beauty of the guitar...  just sayin'...

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »

None of my 21 Larrivee's have ever won the GOTM and it is OK with me if none ever win, if being a pro photographer is more important than the pristine beauty of the guitar...  just sayin'...

Twenty-one?! Twenty-ONE, George?!?!?   wacko   I want to see all of George's 21 Larrivees in one shot! 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: