Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L-03 Deluxe; where was it made?  (Read 524 times)
willynelson13

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »

Hey folks,   .

I am going to buy a L-03 deluxe lefty. One issue though, the label indicates it was made in Vancouver, the seller however insists that it was made in the US. The guitar is going to be shipped to Canada from the US, so I don't want customs to take issue with the discrepancy if they take a close look at things. Does anyone know if Larrivee made guitars in Oxnard with Vancouver labels? All I could find in my investigations was that in a few cases the Victoria labels used for Vancouver made guitars. Any info would be much appreciated. I guess I could just ask the seller to put made in Canada on the packing slip. But he was very adamant in our communications that it was made in the US.

Cheers,

Willy
markj

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 06:29:05 PM »

Did you check the serial # at the Larrivee web site? It will tell you when it was made.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:29:40 PM »

I would believe the label. The 03 used to be made in Vancouver. Knowing the year would help but I don't know why Larrrivee would be misrepresenting where the guitar was made and, either way, bringing the guitar into Canada will require the appropriate taxes being paid. After all, that's the primary mission of the Canadian border officials. From my experience, I don't think they will care where it was built, only how much you paid for it. If it's being shipped straight to your door, it should be no problem. Sometimes there are brokerage fees applied. I think they just throw darts at packages to decide which ones apply. There is so much stuff being mailed across borders it's impossible to check all of them.   
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »

I would believe the label. The 03 used to be made in Vancouver. Knowing the year would help but I don't know why Larrrivee would be misrepresenting where the guitar was made and, either way, bringing the guitar into Canada will require the appropriate taxes being paid. After all, that's the primary mission of the Canadian border officials. From my experience, I don't think they will care where it was built, only how much you paid for it. If it's being shipped straight to your door, it should be no problem. Sometimes there are brokerage fees applied. I think they just throw darts at packages to decide which ones apply. There is so much stuff being mailed across borders it's impossible to check all of them.   
This too is what I believe

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
willynelson13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 06:52:31 PM »

I looked up the serial number and it was made in 2013. My thoughts were that it was indeed made in Vancouver. Some past posts about the 03 Deluxe's indicted that these were some of the last guitars made in the Vancouver workshop.

My real concern is if there is a discrepancy the border services will hold it for a really long time. Especilly with the new CITES rosewood concerns.

Thanks for the input, I guess there is tonnes of mail being shipped across the border everyday. I suppose I will just buy it, because even with taxes/exchange it will be cheaper than buying a new one here in Northern BC.  

Willy
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »

I have several Larrivee guitars that were made in Vancouver near the end of Canadian production, and I have never seen a label mixup about where their guitars were manufactured...  I too would go with the label information...

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »

The seller really expects you to believe that the US factory had, for some reason, Made In Canada labels that they were slapping on guitars and no one noticed (despite the fact they look entirely different)?
I wouldn't believe anything this seller says and definitely wouldn't be buying a guitar from them.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
willynelson13

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »

The seller really expects you to believe that the US factory had, for some reason, Made In Canada labels that they were slapping on guitars and no one noticed (despite the fact they look entirely different)?
I wouldn't believe anything this seller says and definitely wouldn't be buying a guitar from them.

Initially I had the same feeling, but his business does have good reviews, even from some active members of this forum.He is also listed as a authorized Larrivee dealer on the Larrivee website. Plus a 100% satisfaction or refund policy. But considering the shipping and other cross border charges, even at 85% satisfaction I would keep the guitar.
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 12:16:15 AM »

For clarity... 03 Deluxe Series were made in Vancouver.  No Canadian labels have ever been used in California.

john jr
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:33:36 AM »

Initially I had the same feeling, but his business does have good reviews, even from some active members of this forum.He is also listed as a authorized Larrivee dealer on the Larrivee website. Plus a 100% satisfaction or refund policy. But considering the shipping and other cross border charges, even at 85% satisfaction I would keep the guitar.
I have a feeling I know who it is. It may be the same Larrivee dealer that advertised one guitar, sent me another, then made me fight to get a refund. I had to get PayPal involved and even though they sided with me, I was still out $75 in return shipping. I hope,  for your sake,  it's not him. After sharing my experience online, I had several forum members correctly guess who it was, even though I never named the seller or gave any hints.

Good luck.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »

For clarity... 03 Deluxe Series were made in Vancouver.  No Canadian labels have ever been used in California.

john jr

There you go... Verified by the man that ran the Canadian manufacturing facility for years...  I own five guitars he built there.  All good ones!  (including my first one which was a D-03 R Deluxe Special Edition...)

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: