OM-40R Legacy Series

Started by markj, February 16, 2017, 10:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's a funny thing, I've tried three different OM-40's and, as much as I want to like them, I just can't. The setup from the factory on each where pretty bad with very high action and I found the bass to be pretty limp and overall sound muted. I'm not a fan of the Khaya used for the neck because they seem to have a purple tinge to it that doesn't match the body (I'm being picky).

It's disappointing because I thought for sure I'd love the OM-40 enough to buy one.

AUGuy
That is some nice walnut.  I have a highly figured american (black) walnut OM-09 (1986).  Walnut is about the nicest tone wood for finger style in my books, very earthy.  I use 80-20 bronze strings on it and the combo with the walnut is great.
Dave
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Quote from: AUGuy21 on February 22, 2017, 10:47:29 PM
Here she is. It was a nice surprise to discover that this Walnut was a 2015 Fall Limited run guitar. The limited run includes a gloss top, American Walnut back and sides, upgraded hardshell archtop case and signed label. Buying sight unseen,  it is exactly what I was looking for tonally. I A/B'd it with a Martin OMJM (John Mayer) model and the Martin still didn't phase me.

very nice, take a picture that shows the front and sides. I think this could be the next GOTM.

If the Mods allow it, we could put the picture of the back and front side by side. If so I nominate it for GOTM.

Andrew?

Quote from: webberink on February 23, 2017, 03:09:30 PM
AUGuy
That is some nice walnut.  I have a highly figured american (black) walnut OM-09 (1986).  Walnut is about the nicest tone wood for finger style in my books, very earthy.  I use 80-20 bronze strings on it and the combo with the walnut is great.
Dave

Appreciate that. I'm still experimenting with strings. It came with the factory D'Addario PB's (I believe) that were as dead as doornails. I accidentally purchased some Elixir 80/20's thinking I had bought the PB's. The 80/20's seem to be too bright for me these couple days I've had them on so I'll end up putting on some PB's in the coming months.

I'll also post some better pictures later of the sides, back, etc as those were under flourescent lights.
Larrivee LV-03R (Sold)
Larrivee DV-05 (Sold)
Larrivee C-09 Custom
Larrivee OM-40 Walnut Limited
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Fender 72 Thinline Telecaster Reissue (Curtis Novak Pick

Quote from: AUGuy21 on February 23, 2017, 04:56:27 PM
Appreciate that. I'm still experimenting with strings. It came with the factory D'Addario PB's (I believe) that were as dead as doornails. I accidentally purchased some Elixir 80/20's thinking I had bought the PB's. The 80/20's seem to be too bright for me these couple days I've had them on so I'll end up putting on some PB's in the coming months.

I'll also post some better pictures later of the sides, back, etc as those were under flourescent lights.

I always suggest a good setup before anything else.  Did you try a ToneRite to help open it up?  I bought a DV once that I did not initially like, so I put it back in the case for a year.  Then I put it up for sale and after it sold, I took it out to inspect it to make sure it was still perfect and it sounded so much better that I was sorry I had sold it....   Give this OM every shot at success, I have never met a 40 series I didn't like...
George

Quote from: AUGuy21 on February 23, 2017, 04:56:27 PM

Here are some better pictures.

Larrivee LV-03R (Sold)
Larrivee DV-05 (Sold)
Larrivee C-09 Custom
Larrivee OM-40 Walnut Limited
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Fender 72 Thinline Telecaster Reissue (Curtis Novak Pick

Interesting back.  Makes me think that is what being on lsd is like.  But very pretty nonetheless