Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P03 was given to me.... I need setup info  (Read 170 times)
pingber

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:57:22 AM »

Hello all... I was recently given  P03 (nice!) but it has some buzzing here and there, so Kim going to do a complete setup, including checking/polishing frets, etc etc.  I suspect a nut problem, as it looks like the nut’s been played with.   Need to know the setup specs, like clearances etc.  on this guitar and hope I camevto the right place.

Thanks in advance
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:19 AM »

First thing, especially this time of year...  make sure it is humidified properly.

Then it’s just a standard setup.

Ed
pingber

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:18:34 AM »

First thing, especially this time of year...  make sure it is humidified properly.

Then it’s just a standard setup.

Ed
this guitar has a crazy amount of relief in it, .022 at the 6th fret.  Reading comments here, it seems that Larrivee likes very little relief, Abbey .01?

And what about string clearance?
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 01:41:59 AM »

I agree with Ed, make sure it is properly humidified and stable prior to making any adjustments.  I never make any adjustments to saddle height or nut slots without setting the relief first and allowing it to settle.  I never re-level or polish frets before doing that either and prefer an absolutely flat fretboard for that operation.  If the nut or saddle are not right at that point, replace them...  I don't have any Parlor models, but for most guitars I shoot for ~.004-.010 relief, ~.014-.016 high E and B at first fret, ~.018-.020 first fret for strings G, D, A, E.  Twelfth fret an average of ~.050-.060.  Every guitar is different and some guitars just won't play properly without more relief and/or higher string setups.  Especially with very hard picked bluegrass and other extremely aggressive picking styles...  A well cared for Larrivee should be a joy to play and should be set up for hoe YOU like to play...  Just my three cents...

George
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 05:14:07 AM »

I agree with Ed, make sure it is properly humidified and stable prior to making any adjustments.  I never make any adjustments to saddle height or nut slots without setting the relief first and allowing it to settle.  I never re-level or polish frets before doing that either and prefer an absolutely flat fretboard for that operation.  If the nut or saddle are not right at that point, replace them...  I don't have any Parlor models, but for most guitars I shoot for ~.004-.010 relief, ~.014-.016 high E and B at first fret, ~.018-.020 first fret for strings G, D, A, E.  Twelfth fret an average of ~.050-.060.  Every guitar is different and some guitars just won't play properly without more relief and/or higher string setups.  Especially with very hard picked bluegrass and other extremely aggressive picking styles...  A well cared for Larrivee should be a joy to play and should be set up for hoe YOU like to play...  Just my three cents...

Yep. 

With major emphasis on "every guitar (and (my edit) every player) is different". 

My experience is, Larivee guitars are never more than an adjustment out.

Ed
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 05:47:48 AM »

I agree with Ed, make sure it is properly humidified and stable prior to making any adjustments.  I never make any adjustments to saddle height or nut slots without setting the relief first and allowing it to settle.  I never re-level or polish frets before doing that either and prefer an absolutely flat fretboard for that operation.  If the nut or saddle are not right at that point, replace them...  I don't have any Parlor models, but for most guitars I shoot for ~.004-.010 relief, ~.014-.016 high E and B at first fret, ~.018-.020 first fret for strings G, D, A, E.  Twelfth fret an average of ~.050-.060.  Every guitar is different and some guitars just won't play properly without more relief and/or higher string setups.  Especially with very hard picked bluegrass and other extremely aggressive picking styles...  A well cared for Larrivee should be a joy to play and should be set up for hoe YOU like to play...  Just my three cents...

Hi pingber.  It appears you are looking for actual numbers you can measure.  George's measurements and observations are very much the same as what I try to achieve when doing a set up on most acoustics.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: