Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am radio antenna  (Read 981 times)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »

Can anyone recommend an am antenna for a Bose wave radio.  Looking for indoor, not rooftop.  Or, am/fm antenna, but am priority.  Thanks
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 12:04:24 AM »

Is there a connection for that on those? Sorry for the stupid question

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:39:57 AM »

When we were young, we would have constructed an am longwire antenna.  I suppose you could figure out a way to put one inside the house?

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 02:54:03 AM »

Did you try doing an online search for antennas?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:30:12 AM »

I have 3 of the Wave Radios in my homes though I'm not much help  with AM Radio as its been dead about 10 years in my parts I've never given it much thought.. I believe they have an internal AM antenna system of some kind so to add an external might be a bit of a challenge.

The FM antenna is a a simple RCA plug into the back of your unit with a linear wire attached to the RCA type plug. But thats FM - a different animal altogether

Picking up signals at least FM is far from this radios strong suit - it rather sucks actually

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 03:42:23 AM »

I have 3 of the Wave Radios in my homes though I'm not much help  with AM Radio as its been dead about 10 years in my parts I've never given it much thought.. I believe they have an internal AM antenna system of some kind so to add an external might be a bit of a challenge.

The FM antenna is a a simple RCA plug into the back of your unit with a linear wire attached to the RCA type plug. But thats FM - a different animal altogether

Picking up signals at least FM is far from this radios strong suit - it rather sucks actually

Yes .... it was kind of a shot in the dark on my part.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 06:53:55 AM »

You should be able to find some good AM antenna theory info and instructions for building several different kinds of AM antennas on the internet.  Staying indoors with it limits you somewhat.  In the past when I lived in remote Northern Alberta, I made very sensitive AM antennas by stretching bare copper wire over long distances in my yard.  I can't recall distances, but it seems to me total spans were in the range of 80 to 100 feet.  I brought in stations from incredible distances.  For an indoor antenna, you need the same amount of wire coiled around a core of cardboard or some other core material.  They are not hard to make if you look up the method and the correct specifications in terms of wire length, number of winds, etc.

Your best option might be to go to a pawn shop and find an old tuner or audio receiver that included an AM antenna with it.  These antennas used to come with the older audio equipment as a standard accessory.  They take the form of a coil of wire encased in plastic with a hook-up wire extending from the coil.  You might have to buy the whole tuner/receiver just to get the antenna though.

Yet another option is to find an old "console" or "kitchen" radio from the 40's 50's or 60's, take it apart, and salvage the built in AM antenna.  It will be pretty evident, being a coil of wire with many winds.  Find the start of the coil, hook that wire to your tuner, and Bob's your uncle.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

cc407

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »

This place is really into radio. This is their AM antenna page:

http://www.ccrane.com/AM-Antennas?by=Category C Crane Co
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48:50 AM »

What stations are you interested in that do not stream via internet?  A cheap android tablet with headphone jack is your free world radio tuner.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:14:03 AM »

What stations are you interested in that do not stream via internet?  A cheap android tablet with headphone jack is your free world radio tuner.
Problem is it doesn't fill the room with quality sound like the Bose Wave

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 01:29:17 AM »

The Bose wave should have an aux input. The tablet is just the "tuner". Connect the headphone out from the android tablet to the sux input of the Bose. The quality will be distinctly better than any am tuner.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
tlp2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

AM antennas are dead simple. 
There are any number of loop style (indoor) available
that will work with your Bose radio and cost
a few bucks to as much as you want to spend.

No recommends here, sorry, I don't AM and make my own for FM.
Let me know if you to make one or just google it.
You really can't go wrong. 

One of the fun aspects of music is making your own stuff (including your stereo).
If you get started making an antenna, look out!
It can quickly spread to the rest of your stuff.

Here's a tube preamp for my old turntable 

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »

The Bose wave should have an aux input. The tablet is just the "tuner". Connect the headphone out from the android tablet to the sux input of the Bose. The quality will be distinctly better than any am tuner.
Scott that's a great alternative you suggest, I have never considered tho would me dragging a laptop to the radio so that might be an impediment for some.

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 01:28:50 AM »

Scott that's a great alternative you suggest, I have never considered tho would me dragging a laptop to the radio so that might be an impediment for some.

A smart phone of course will work as well, and likely will have a better output stage at the headphone jack than some tablets.  I stream from my phone via headphone jack into 'ye olde console stereo' that I have in the garage for when I'm working on the cars (far too often!).

I suggest the tablet because it can have other uses besides the tuner, and not tied to a data plan.  In the US, you can get tablets dirt cheap.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: