Played A New D-03 And D-03r Today...

Started by Fstpicker, February 08, 2004, 09:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

...and Wow!! After tuning them up, I'd have to say that they were about the best sounding mahogany and rosewood Larrivees I've ever played here lately! And that includes a new D-60 that I played a few weeks ago, which I was not too terribly impressed with as I was hoping I would be.

The 03 (rosewood/mahogany) "brothers" both had a deep and rich tone that was so huge, loud and full. And the workmanship (especially with the maple bindings) was just outstanding IMO; the action was set perfectly, and the wood quality was superb. If I had the $$ I would have walked out with one of them at least. I pretty much helped another "budding" guitar player there decide that the D-03R was going to be her next guitar when she can afford it. She said she had a Taylor GA 25th anniv. model that was very nice, but the tone just didn't do anything for her, especially when compared with her wonderful sounding Martin D-35 she bought not too long ago. She thinks the Larrivee would compliment her Martin rather nicely. I wholeheartedly agreed with her!! Too bad I didn't receive any salary today at Sam Ash there! I did more selling than their salesmen did in the "high-end" room at least!  :D

However, I do really want to play and/or hear some Mp3's of a D-03 Blackwood model before I decide on which one is to be my next 6-string "down the road" someday!

Any takers?

Jeff
Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin

YES!  PLEASE!  i want to hear a mp3 of a D-03 Blackwood too, as well as a Rosewood.  What the heck, throw in a mahagony mp3 too!
wtb LSV-05

I will gladly mail soundclips of the D-03's when they come.  My D-50 and L-05 will be here on Wed, and I am told the parlors and D-03BW and D03 Mahog, will ship at the end of the week.  Should be here by middle of next week.  If you still need clips then, I will gladly provide.  Once again, disclaimer on the playing.  Hope you like Beatle's music!  Jason.
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

This is my first post to this forum even though I've been lurking. Nice site BTW and I'm really glad to see a forum devoted to Larrivees. I love my little koa parlor.

I played a D-03R several months back that totally blew me away. I could kick myself for not grabbing that one when I had the chance.  ;)  

QuoteI will gladly mail soundclips of the D-03's when they come.  My D-50 and L-05 will be here on Wed, and I am told the parlors and D-03BW and D03 Mahog, will ship at the end of the week.  Should be here by middle of next week.  If you still need clips then, I will gladly provide.  Once again, disclaimer on the playing.  Hope you like Beatle's music!  Jason.
hey guitarcrazy I would like to hear some of those soundclips as well  

i played a D-03R for the first time the other day myself.  man, what a killer sound.  my BW is sort of dark sounding, the RW model was much more defined and boomy.  it was a really nice sounding guitar.  most people are blown away when they play a Larrivee for the first time.  people i come across always say, "what kind of guitar is that, i've never heard of it".  i let them play it and they're like, "where can i get one of those?"  or, "how come i've never seen one of these?"  in my area, there are not many dealers.  this area is pretty much "Taylorized" and "Martinized".  but once they pick up a Larrivee, something changes.  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

Hmm, tried to link pictures for Bevo (as promised), but for some reason my free webspace hoster won't let me.  I sent them to the board, so maybe they'll pop-up soon.

Working on those sound files...go guarantees though.

Could anyone shed on how exactly the D-03 and D-03R sound different?  I love my LV-02, but the bass strings just seem to be abit on the soft side.  The only place I can find sound clips for comparison is at  http://www.paragonguitars.com/standard/sou...p?h=1024&w=1280   .  Does Larrivee D model sound similiar to the paragon guitar Dread model?

My L model has great note separation for fingerstyle, but for strumming and accompany, those note seperation seem protrusive, not harmonizing enough with the voice.  That's why I'm considering a Dread, just not sure about mohagony or rosewood.  Any suggestion?

It's hard to tell from a 5-second soundclip, but I'd say it sounds pretty close to a Larrivee D-03 mahogany.

Jeff
Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin