UPDATE: Repaired crack in top of D-02

Started by Zeboma, February 09, 2017, 07:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi all~~New to the forum and hoping to soon be a Larrivee owner.

Saturday I'll be looking at a used D-03 that has a repaired crack in the top (see the dark line in pic). Folks who did the repair (GC tech, not actual luthier) say it didn't extend under the bridge, and the seller says it's a good repair job, not crossing bad with any braces and not effecting sound at all. Price is firm at $650, otherwise in great shape, with "custom" funky blue pickguard. One of the longer cracks I've ever seen!

Thoughts welcome

BREAKING NEWS: It's actually a -02, not -03. Is this back sapele or mahogany?

I had similar on another guitar and was told the same.

Now, I wonder what is under the pick guard?

My old O-01 MH had three cracks in the top when I got it. I  repaired them and out of the four Larrivee parlors I've had I like it the best.  The blue pick guard makes me want to puke though.

Personally, I would pass on it and spend a little more for a good one. The DO3 is a darn fine guitar.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: carruth on February 09, 2017, 07:53:07 PM
Personally, I would pass on it and spend a little more for a good one. The DO3 is a darn fine guitar.
True that...and the old D-02s are fantastic.

I checked serial number and it was built November 2000. Larrivee website where I looked it up is what alerted me to it being a D-02 not a D-03---the seller does not seem to have been aware of that.

I may drive a bit and take a look at a brand now D-03, which would be over $500 more. Is there much to "opening up" with satin finish Larrivee? I know I don't like brand new (like Collings) for being too tight.....does this happen with Larrivee as well?

Quote from: Zeboma on February 09, 2017, 08:01:20 PM
I checked serial number and it was built November 2000. Larrivee website where I looked it up is what alerted me to it being a D-02 not a D-03---the seller does not seem to have been aware of that.

I may drive a bit and take a look at a brand now D-03, which would be over $500 more. Is there much to "opening up" with satin finish Larrivee? I know I don't like brand new (like Collings) for being too tight.....does this happen with Larrivee as well?
I have a 2000 D-02, I would not trade it for a brand new guitar. It is fully "open" and a joy to play. Offer them 450 for the D-02 if you can play it first.

Problem is, you can get a great condition one for the same price, and if you keep your eyes peeled, you can even find one for $100 less.  Damaged D03s shouldn't be much more than $400 to $450 because, if you go to sell it, that's likely what you're going to get.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on February 09, 2017, 08:28:41 PM
Problem is, you can get a great condition one for the same price, and if you keep your eyes peeled, you can even find one for $100 less.  Damaged D03s shouldn't be much more than $400 to $450 because, if you go to sell it, that's likely what you're going to get.
Or even less.

I agree with the others here. I have a D-03 with Italian Spruce top (no cracks), mahogany b/s (not sapele) and signed by Jean Larrivee and I'm offering it for around $650-700.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 09, 2017, 09:24:20 PM
I agree with the others here. I have a D-03 with Italian Spruce top (no cracks), mahogany b/s (not sapele) and signed by Jean Larrivee and I'm offering it for around $650-700.
If I didn't have my ole D-02  I'd snap that one up and convert it to a righty.

Quote from: B0WIE on February 09, 2017, 08:28:41 PM
Problem is, you can get a great condition one for the same price, and if you keep your eyes peeled, you can even find one for $100 less. 
:+1:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Danny on February 09, 2017, 09:28:32 PM
If I didn't have my ole D-02  I'd snap that one up and convert it to a righty.

Only problem, Danny, is it would have a 5:00 shadow from the pick guard...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 10, 2017, 10:23:51 AM
Only problem, Danny, is it would have a 5:00 shadow from the pick guard...
Yea,  but I like a challenge. 😉

Quote from: Danny on February 10, 2017, 10:46:10 AM
Yea,  but I like a challenge. 😉
It'd give you a opportunity to try a burst top. 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

My 2008 OM-03 has two cracks.  One is almost exactly where the one in the pic is and the other is a mirror image of it on the other side of the center-line.  The cracks have been professionally repaired, the guitar top is stable and the guitar sounds great.  I got it for a real good price because of those cracks.

I wouldn't let the crack stop you from buying it if it is priced accordingly and you like how it sounds and plays.  But you need to inspect it in person and play it.  Try and get a look inside with a mirror and light.  Make sure the pickguard isn't hiding other cracks or damage.  You can feel inside and use the mirror.  I agree the blue pickguard looks ugly, but that can be replaced.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

UPDATE: I got it. He's giving me a trial period, and I'm going to bring it to my most excellent luthier on Wednesday for a thorough inspection. I paid $500 (he showed me an eBay offer he'd gotten for $550) and while that might be more than you guys would recommend, the fact is this is an extraordinary guitar. It's got major mojo (it's a 2000 D-02 for a reminder) and I played if for a good 45 minutes and had the feeling I'd be full of regret if I walked away

Of course you can rationalize anything, so here I go: I'm selling a J45 I got a few months ago, and should be able to get $1600 for that.....so while 500 may be a tad high for the Larrivee, I'm still coming away from this deal UP $1100! The J45 has left me repeatedly underwhelmed: I was originally liking it because of its nice thumpy low end, but soon came to see that everything is darn muffled about it, I'm now in the camp that thinks current J45s are way overpriced. The Larri has that nice deep bass I'm looking for, but it's more balanced and more alive than the Gibson

I'll let you know what my luthier says and if it's a keeper. And if it gives it a clean bill of health, I may have him replace the pickguard, and I shall be one very happy strumming camper!

Thanks for all the input~~

Quote from: Zeboma on February 12, 2017, 10:24:06 AM
UPDATE: I got it. He's giving me a trial period, and I'm going to bring it to my most excellent luthier on Wednesday for a thorough inspection. I paid $500 (he showed me an eBay offer he'd gotten for $550) and while that might be more than you guys would recommend, the fact is this is an extraordinary guitar.

$500 is very fair.  Without the top crack it would be about $700, and a top crack (even well repaired) tends to knock a couple hundred off.

Update on the update:

I really really like this guitar. The tone and sustain are just awesome: it's got a great dry vintage sound, and sustain to go with it, and not flooded with overtones, and it's just fun to play.

So happy to have stumbled on Larrivee~~have heard of them over the years, but never played one. I'm hooked!

Quote from: Zeboma on February 12, 2017, 08:06:01 PM
Update on the update:

I really really like this guitar. The tone and sustain are just awesome: it's got a great dry vintage sound, and sustain to go with it, and not flooded with overtones, and it's just fun to play.

I feel the same way about my 2000 D- 02. It's amazing how 17 years can make a guitar shine so well.