Effects of replacing standard bridge with a pyramid bridge

Started by Tuba Mike, February 09, 2017, 10:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 15, 2017, 10:06:00 PM
A pyramid has as many sides as the base has straight edges.
3, 4, 5, 10 whatever.
What makes a pyramid is that all the sides are triangular and meet at the apex (the top point).
Pyramids don't "have" energy, unless you are talking about the kinetic effect of a multi-million ton stone structure (gravity), or perhaps the carbon energy stored in the structure of a wooden pyramid.

Anyhow, the "mass" equation would be not just the "volume" of the bridge but also the "density" of the wood.
Since we are talking about wooden guitar bridges, we are talking about differences that would be hard to figure.

Sorry about this, but I can't sit next to the smartest guy in class without comment.
Mike

I'd guess what headsup is referring to is the classic quadrahedron...  one of 5 regular solids made up with all sides being the same equilateral shapes.  In this case, 4 equilateral triangles.  If one of the sides is considered the base, it ends up a 3 sided pyramid.

Ed

And to throw a different stick in the fire, Martin uses rosewood bridges on some guitars (with rosewood boards) along with ebony bridges (with ebony boards), but on their M-36 model (a 0000 size body), they switch it up and use a rosewood bridge with an ebony fingerboard. They suggest that the rosewood bridge is lighter than an ebony bridge and therefore provides more volume... who knows...

Martin M-36 review and specs Listen at around 1:30 in the video re: the rosewood bridge

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: headsup on February 15, 2017, 10:04:54 AM
I have couple "pyramid" bridge Larrivees.

Lets be clear about something important (regarding a previous post around the "energy" of a pyramid.)
In actual fact, as you might know, a pyramid is a three faced design, structure/object.
"Pyramid style" guitar bridges have four faces on each side of the saddle and bridge pins.

The other difference regarding "mass" is the "footprint" of the actual bridge.
an upgraded pyramid style bridge will need to be made larger than a standard one to cover up the footprint left by the standard style bridge (thus adding mass).

Wouldn't a simple "mass" equation be based around the weight of the two bridges?

Kevin, tuba Mike (op) was talking about replacing the bridge on his forum IV (00) which I believe has the same bridge as the Parlor which is not a belly bridge. Do you have a Parlor that you can measure the bridge and compare to the pyramid on your 000? Nice pictures btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on February 16, 2017, 11:42:48 AM

Kevin, tuba Mike (op) was talking about replacing the bridge on his forum IV (00) which I believe has the same bridge as the Parlor which is not a belly bridge. Do you have a Parlor that you can measure the bridge and compare to the pyramid on your 000? Nice pictures btw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good point Roger, my O-01MH parlor had a very small bridge.

[[/quote]
Quote from: eded on February 16, 2017, 08:48:20 AM
I'd guess what headsup is referring to is the classic quadrahedron...  one of 5 regular solids made up with all sides being the same equilateral shapes.  In this case, 4 equilateral triangles.  If one of the sides is considered the base, it ends up a 3 sided pyramid.
Ed
:donut :donut2 :coffee
Whoa, I was taken by this, I am just a basic geometry guy. If it isn't square, it isn't me.
I looked up quadrahedron, and the word didn't seem to exist, so I looked further and learned more. Very cool.
So the 3 sided pyramid with the triangular base is a tetrahedron, which does not seem intuitive.
Getting pretty far from pyramid bridges tho.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 16, 2017, 07:48:51 PM
[ :donut :donut2 :coffee
Whoa, I was taken by this, I am just a basic geometry guy. If it isn't square, it isn't me.
I looked up quadrahedron, and the word didn't seem to exist, so I looked further and learned more. Very cool.
So the 3 sided pyramid with the triangular base is a tetrahedron, which does not seem intuitive.
Getting pretty far from pyramid bridges tho.
Mike

Oops...  10 years ago I wouldn't have gotten that name wrong!

Ed

Quote from: eded on February 16, 2017, 08:04:42 PM
Oops...  10 years ago I wouldn't have gotten that name wrong!
Ed
And I think I am gonna go back to picking on my Larrivees, because I am clearly over my head here.
I was just joking about the pyramid energy thing anyhow.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 16, 2017, 09:20:52 PM

Mike
That's good to hear.   :bgrin:
I was going to ask if you were joking but, in the event that you weren't, I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole. Lol
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 16, 2017, 09:20:52 PM
And I think I am gonna go back to picking on my Larrivees, because I am clearly over my head here.
Mike

It's late...  time to climb into my sarcophagus.

Ed