Need recommendations

Started by Walkerman, January 12, 2017, 11:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone recommend a good brand/model of string clippers?  One that will easily cut low e string.  Thanks

Bahco or Channellock the latter being made in USA. Either are more than adequate.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I just use a decent set of wire cutters.

Same here. Cutters from the hardware store and I've started putting masking tape around the outside edge because they can sometimes jump after clipping the thicker strings.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

A good pair of dykes (Klein)will get the job done.

My Leatherman multitool works for me
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I am looking for some skinny tipped ones for slot head work.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 12, 2017, 06:46:51 PM
I have one of these too but I only use the winder part. For snipping, I use regular wire cutters, as I said.    

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-pro-winder-string-winder-cutter?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BMYa-zdOLdNip2bhR6T6-7JY7TJdgAOHIlpanthpUK4hoCqZDw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^142911626661-sku^360253000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

I have an older model of that and it works fine for my use.  Not a clean cut though.  

For a finer cut if you're looking for a smaller set, I'd look at jewelry pliers / side cutters.  I've got some basic side cutters in jewelry size (around 5" length) I assume they'd do the wound guitar strings fine.  Like anything, you get what you pay for.  My $15 jewelry pliers work lots better than the $5 pair.  You can find these at arts and craft stores or online. 
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers

I have a small pair of Craftsman diagonal cutters https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-professional-4-1-2-in-diagonal-cutting-pliers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 12, 2017, 04:33:27 PM
I just use a decent set of wire cutters.

What he said.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 14, 2017, 12:19:54 PM
I have a small pair of Craftsman diagonal cutters https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-professional-4-1-2-in-diagonal-cutting-pliers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These are the style I was talking about!
L-03WL (A Hunt for Spruce) with K&K Pure Mini
RS2 with humbuckers

Haven't tried these, but the reviews are all very positive.  http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Pliers_and_Cutters/String_Cutter.html
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

I ended up getting the Cruztool string cutter.  Cuts thru the heaviest wound strings quick, easy and clean.  I really like it.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 10, 2017, 01:14:31 PM
I ended up getting the Cruztool string cutter. 

Oh I was left with impression you were seeking something a little more high end to better suit the works of art you'd be working on  :tongue:

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: cc407 on February 11, 2017, 06:32:42 AM
The large size

I would recommend AGAINST this suggestion...

...don't ask me how I know...   :whistling:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992