Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do you buy your strings?  (Read 1387 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »

I prefer to support local shops (and did when I lived in Omaha - they matched string prices with the box stores). If you're ever in Omaha (or Lincoln), visit Dietze Music - they are a great store to do business with - they're definitely giving the local Guitar Center a run for it's money.

But I don't live near a store now - nearing one is over an hour away, and their prices - not to mention their choices - aren't competitive.

So I've started ordering online (and have NO affiliation with the places mentioned below).

Shoreline Music, Durango, CO - I've had GREAT service from John at Shoreline. They carry John Pearse and Martin, both of which I tend to use. They also carry D'Addario and Elixir. They don't always have Martin Retro Laurence Juber Lights (the gauge I prefer), but I've had difficulty finding those at most places. Great prices, and John does FREE SHIPPING, which is a big plus to order from him. Sometimes he throws in coupons for discounts, etc. too. Great to do business with.

Just Strings.com, (in New Hampshire?) - I just ordered some John Pearse strings from Just Strings online - they have some of the JP Nickel Wound acoustic strings, which I wanted to try (which also weren't available at other places, including Shoreline). Also good prices, but Just Strings also charges for shipping, so they may actually cost a little more than ordering from Shoreline...but they have LOTS of string choices, and seem to have them in stock, a big plus.

Anyone got string buying experiences to share?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:47:46 PM »

I use Pearse Bluegrass gauge on my parlors.  They aren't always available locally, so I've gotten in the habit of going with Just Strings.

Ed
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »

I buy local for my own use,every now and then I buy strings wholesale so I have some strings in stock for those who forget to bring me new strings for there guitars.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »

I haven't bought strings in several years because I bought about thirty sets from a music store that was going out of business. I still have a box full of them but since there's no local store closer than 20 miles, I'll probably use Just Strings the next time I have to buy some. 
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:44:15 PM »

SuperStrings
StringdByMail
StringdansMore

I only remember because they spam my email all the time.  I usually only order once a year, and stock up when I do.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
bobw
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »

Strings and beyond  has some good pricing if you order enough to get free shipping.....

They usually have free shipping days about once a month....

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA_eXEBRDP8fnIlJDXxsIBEiQAAGfyoWuFS9mB-KUHNk_gpfHRLUC0Q4lipZBf13xmvX72hg0aAhiy8P8HAQ

BobW  
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »

Strings By Mail seems to be the best stocking online dealer for Newtone strings, which seem to be the ones I buy most these days...

George
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 04:40:13 AM »

I normally use Strings and Beyond. 

I have also used Just Strings and of course Elderly.   

On Black Friday Musician's Friend almost always has a ridiculous deal on either Martin SPs or D'Addario EJ-16s (like a 12 pack for $25) which I almost always buy as well.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 04:55:44 AM »

I normally use Strings and Beyond. 

I have also used Just Strings and of course Elderly.   

On Black Friday Musician's Friend almost always has a ridiculous deal on either Martin SPs or D'Addario EJ-16s (like a 12 pack for $25) which I almost always buy as well.

Buy lots when cheap. 
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 05:26:36 AM »

I buy local for my own use,every now and then I buy strings wholesale so I have some strings in stock for those who forget to bring me new strings for there guitars.

For similar reasons, I buy them by the dozen in several gauges, both acoustic and electric from Stewmac.  They are GHS brand and are just fine for my purposes.  Like Rob, I want to have any gauge a client might want on hand to do their setup.  Many bring their own but some don't.  When I need a new set on any of my own guitars, I just grab them from my stock of GHS strings.  I can't get the strings I like for my 12-string from Stewmac though, so I purchase them locally.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 11:46:01 PM »

Shoreline Music almost exclusively, due to low prices, an AGF discount and no shipping.  I used to use Strings and Beyond prior to Shoreline, but not no mo.
Codycoat

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 04:12:56 AM »

I tried changing my strings on my own for the first time yesterday. I broke the first one I put on...the E string of a new set of D'addario Nickel Bronze strings...fairly new on the market.
I had a few set s of EJ-17s so in order to have a full set the same, I switched to those. First one fine, then I broke the A string. Decided to get my Snark tuner out to use as I added the rest. It was crushed in my guitar bag. Great!
 I have three music stores (Steve's, Long and McQuade and Paul's Boutique)  within a 10 minute bike ride so I went to get some singles and a new tuner in time for my lesson in the afternoon. Teacher watched as I replaced the rest without incident. After he left I tuned a few more times then cut the strings. All good. Then I tried to bend back the tiny extra bit I had left on the e. It broke. 
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 04:29:49 AM »

I tried changing my strings on my own for the first time yesterday. I broke the first one I put on...the E string of a new set of D'addario Nickel Bronze strings...fairly new on the market.
I had a few set s of EJ-17s so in order to have a full set the same, I switched to those. First one fine, then I broke the A string. Decided to get my Snark tuner out to use as I added the rest. It was crushed in my guitar bag. Great!
 I have three music stores (Steve's, Long and McQuade and Paul's Boutique)  within a 10 minute bike ride so I went to get some singles and a new tuner in time for my lesson in the afternoon. Teacher watched as I replaced the rest without incident. After he left I tuned a few more times then cut the strings. All good. Then I tried to bend back the tiny extra bit I had left on the e. It broke. 

I was introduced to uke, by my dad, in about 1966???.  I moved to guitar in about 1971.  I've put a few sets of strings on, but I can remember a bunch of broken strings over the years...  like a *bunch* of broken strings.  At this point, none were wasted strings, they were an education.  At the time though... 

Ed
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »

I get my guitar strings locally and usually buy my mandolin strings on Amazon. 
Crocefan4life

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »

Sweetwater is my preferred store. I bought a PRS guitar and Fender bass from them. Buy my Elixir strings there too. I use the 11's, Nanoweb custom lights and my local music store doesn't stock them.

I did buy my bass strings through eBay. D'Addario XL Nickel Plated Bass, Short Scale 40-95 EXL220S.  The seller was Bass Strings Online. Sweetwater didn't stock these.
photodork

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 02:20:27 AM »

Strings and beyond  has some good pricing if you order enough to get free shipping.....

They usually have free shipping days about once a month....

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA_eXEBRDP8fnIlJDXxsIBEiQAAGfyoWuFS9mB-KUHNk_gpfHRLUC0Q4lipZBf13xmvX72hg0aAhiy8P8HAQ

BobW  

i use strings and beyond a fair bit when the exchange rate isnt too bad.. fast shipping and service to me here in canada.

1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 06:35:49 AM »

"Just Strings"  I get them in bulk by individual gauges so I can customize. Comes out to about 3.50 or so a set and I get the gauges I want.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »

Elderly and Chicago Music.   And I'm always on the hunt for periodic specials.  Now I find I'm up to my neck in strings that I'll probably never use.  Someone help me!  I just can't pass up a good deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: