Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Electric Bass Players here?  (Read 843 times)
Crocefan4life

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:07 AM »

Guitar is my primary instrument. I'm a rhythm guitarist and vocalist. I play electric bass occasionally.  I'm taking lessons at Jamplay to learn more scales and technique. I'd eventually like to be able to sub as a bass player if a band needed one. Bass is a lot of fun.

I'm using a red & white, short scale Fender Mustang bass. I prefer short scale because it's not as heavy. A P bass gets my neck and shoulder hurting. I have a Fender Rumble 40 Watt bass combo amp. I'd love to get a vintage Fender '59 Bassman someday. Or maybe the reissue model they sell now.
https://goo.gl/images/zZqHUX

Google indicates Larrivee made a electric bass. I see used ones 4 sale. Did Larrivee make a short scale bass?

What it be worthwhile to find a deal on a used Larrivee bass? Which model?

The LB-2 looks a lot like a P bass. Except for the wild looking headstock. 😀
https://goo.gl/images/zsvOx0
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »

I have one. Cheap but fairly nice copy of a Precision. I play it when I record my own songs but ... I'm no bass player. Tell people you can play a bass and you may get stuck with it.  
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »

I play guitar. I play AT the bass... a few months back I played it weekly (and weakly) for a church worship team that needed a bass player. It was a nice change; filling in the low end can be a lot of fun - there's some freedom there (on SOME music) to wander around, add fills, do runs, etc.

I have two cheap basses: a Rogue Beatle Bass (one of the early Korean made ones) and an old Peavey Korean bass with one active pickup. Both are much lighter than a Precision or Jazz.

I also have a Rumble 40 amp - they're great for lots of purposes, and light! Almost as light as some Fender basses!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »

I play both in the duo I'm in but have been playing bass since I was 13,much,much older now.I'm using a Guild Starfire one from the 60's and Peavey Max 112.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Crocefan4life

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:38:57 AM »

I've wanted to learn bass for years. Learning to lock in with the drummer and set the groove will help my rhythm guitar playing.

I work hard to play solid rhythm but I can certainly get better playing with a drummer. I used to play in a bluegrass band and we didn't have a drummer.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »

I've played bass in several bands over the years.  The key is to have a rock-solid rhythm and hit the tonic note at the exact right time.  Once you master that, you can throw in all kinds of runs and embellishments which is very gratifying and fun as has been said.  I have played bass in bands where I ended up driving the whole band because the drummer couldn't keep the beat as well as I could.  I prefer to play rhythm guitar because I am a natural strummer/singer player, but like Ducktrapper said, if you exhibit a talent for playing bass, you might get relegated to that function in a band.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  If you are a good bass player, you are much appreciated and won't find it difficult to find gigs.  A lot of bass players, including myself, aspire to become lead players eventually.  That is my observation at least.  I don't know why.  Probably because the bassist doesn't get the recognition or appreciation for what he/she contributes to the band as opposed to the front man and lead guitarist gets.  (but they often get the best girls  )

Two things that playing bass really helped me with was:

-Because you are playing individual notes as opposed to chords, you learn the fretboard and this leads to better "lead guitar" playing if you are so inclined to become a lead guitar player in the future.

-Learning how to sing while playing individual notes as opposed to chords.  For me this was a struggle yet ultimately a huge advancement.  From a kid until I played bass in a band, my only experience in playing guitar and singing was while strumming/chording along with myself.  I must say, I always could and still can do a pretty good job of that.  However, in bands, playing bass, I had to develop a whole new skill of singing both lead and harmony vocals while playing the individual bass notes.  That transition is not as easy as one might think; at least for me.

As far as Bass guitars, I've had several.  I started with a 1975 Telecaster bass with a Seth Lover original humbucker pickup which I bought for $75.00 and should NEVER have sold.  It sounded very good but was somewhat boomy and the guitar was  extremely heavy.  That damn guitar is worth over 2 thousand dollars today.  I did get $1100.00 towards a Les Paul Studio for it in 2008.  My next bass, and still my go-to bass, is a Fender MB4 that I bought new in 1988 or so.  It is a MIJ Fender bass which was only made under the Fender brand for a couple of years.  It's wiring scheme gives a very versatile selection of tones, and it's total weight and balance is light enough to shoulder all night long. It was carried on as a Squire model bass for several years after that.  It has been discontinued for a few years now.  I also have a MIJ Fernandez Precision Bass clone and a Lado neck-through bass which I have completely restored with new tuners and EMG pickups that I have wired like a standard Fender Jazz Bass.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Crocefan4life

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »

Thank you for your insights on bass and it's role in the band.

I've started some basic practice. Jamplay is a good instruction site. They have several bass players with lessons. I'll learn as much as I can and see how it goes.

Guitar will always be my primary instrument.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: