Any Tips For Installing Replacement Tuners

Started by dberch, February 25, 2005, 12:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm replacing the stock tuners tonight on my D-05 with Gotoh 1951s which I've already purchased.   If you have done this before, I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts on tips or things to watch out for.

Also, how the heck do you pronounce "Gotoh?"  Is it Go-toe, or Go-taw?

Edited:  Geez, now I'm reading that the low-end Gotohs aren't any better then OEM Pings.  Is this true?  Are the 1951's low-end?  Should I send them back and get 510s?  Will the 510s drop in? (don't want to drill/expand any holes).

Thanks!
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

The ping tuners are reall alright tuners.About the same as the 1951's.There should be a direct replacement out there.Where did you get them?If you get direct replacements just make sure you line them up and also make sure that the nut is tight and so are the buttons.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

QuoteThe ping tuners are reall alright tuners.About the same as the 1951's.There should be a direct replacement out there.Where did you get them?If you get direct replacements just make sure you line them up and also make sure that the nut is tight and so are the buttons.
I got the 1951s from StewMac.  A forum member said they were a drop-in replacement and big improvement.   Are they really an improvement?

Can you get the Buttons too tight?  The reason I'm replacing my Pings is that a plastic button washer has split and is coming off.
www.davidberchtold.com

David you can tighten it toooooo much,you just want them snug.Sometimes some of these places carry that washer.Or check with your local repair shop and see if they have a used parts box thatthen steel stuff from to fix other stuff.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Well. I've already got the Gotoh 1951s.  If I can determine that they're better than the Pings, I'll go ahead and put them  on.  

I need to do something soon, though, or the guitar will be unplayable.

So, are Gotoh 1951's better then OEM Pings???  

David
www.davidberchtold.com

I feel there just as good,but I'm sure others will throw stuff at me for it.But thats OK I'can hide in the cave,behind some rocks.I duck really well also. :D
Just joshin,put them in and give them a spin.Then post a review so we all know.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I recommended those to you, and believe they are substantially better than the Pings.  My criteria is simple, I just feel that there is more slop, or play, in the Pings, you can be turning the button and nothing is happening for some period of time, thats slop to me.  That does not happen with the Gotohs, when you start turning the Gotoh button, the post starts turning immediately, easily and smoothly.  To me, thats just a better tuner.
D-02E

OK, the 1951 Gotoh's are on, and I LIKE THEM!  You didn't steer me wrong, John, I believe you're right, they don't have some of the play that the OEM Pings had.  I only noticed that on one string, but it these are better.

I replaced just the broken one first, and everything seemed fine, so I went ahead and replaced all the others as well.

Thanks, John and Unclrob, for the feedback.  Mission accomplished!

Back to practicing....

David
www.davidberchtold.com