What kind of amp would you recommend?

Started by Davy Vanthuyne, January 29, 2017, 06:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of amp would you recommend to play blues, folk, on our electric Larrivées?
It would be used as a practice amp at home only.
Brand doesn't matter, every brand/model can be cloned.
Are the 'real deal' amps for example Fender twin, bassman, princeton from the 50's-60's so much better than a point to point wired amp from a little builder who's using the best parts he believes in?
So what kind of amp ( circuits) do you prefer to pay blues (slideguitar)?
Right now I'm still playin thru my Marschall as80 r acoustic soloist, it allso has an input for electric guitar, made in 1993.

Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

There's no shortage of great amps out there. For home use, this is what I use. It's fabulous. My RS-4 likes it a lot and so do I.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Mack_Amps_Gem_2G_Amp_Review

Is there something your current amp doesn't do that you wish it would?  

I'm an absolute heathen, but I've always prefered old Peavey solid state amps, esp. Studio Pro 40's.

Ed

David Fisher builds fabulous point to point wired handmade tube amplifiers that are the real deal.  Not cheap by any means but they are very well made.  He is also a Larrivee buff...
George

Peavey Classic 30,I owned one from 1994 sold it to my playing partner about 5 years ago and its still rockin.A client of mine wanted to buy a tube amp he order a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and hated it borrow my old amp and now he's the happy owner of a Classic 30.For low volumn and great tone find a 70's Fender Princeton Reverb.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on January 29, 2017, 07:53:27 PM
For low volumn and great tone find a 70's Fender Princeton Reverb.

Sure. I'd love one myself but how much will that cost, assuming you can find one? Is how much you're willing to pay a determining factor? If the sky's the limit, there are lots of fine amps out there. Vintage Marshall and Fender. Fisher. Dumble.    

Between $1000 and $1500.Worth it based on the going price for so BS BOOBOOtique thing that doesn't sound all that great.Classic 30 run around new for $6-700,used about $450 $500.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: eded on January 29, 2017, 06:35:05 PM
Is there something your current amp doesn't do that you wish it would?  

I'm an absolute heathen, but I've always prefered old Peavey solid state amps, esp. Studio Pro 40's.

Ed

The marshall as80r is a solidstate amp. It works pretty well for me, when I'm home alone. It was the first amp I've bought a long time ago when I didn't realized that 80watts is very loud.

Check into the Fender Super Champ X2 combo or head.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Here's my amps. I use a Mackamp 1x10 speaker cab for both. The pic of the Gem 2.0 is not far from actual size. The Heatseeker is an 18 watt hand wired tube amp that I bought after much research. I was looking at getting a Marshall 1974x but was convinced the Heatseeker would do the same job for a third the price. They are made in Toronto. An old friend of mine and a fine guitarist, Richard Smythe, does the sound clips for them and highly recommended one so I got two. Mackamp's slogan basically is boutique quality for less. 

Thanks for all the replys. I've checked them all and have seen interesting amps, with different pricings.
I've found something by a local young ampbuilder who just started his business. I like people who wants to create something so I think I will help him to get his first amp sold. It's a Fender Champ clone with highquality parts in it, point to point handwired, solid pine cabinet, cotton tweed, JJ tubes, Hammond transformer, ...

https://m.soundcloud.com/farfield-amplifiers/farfield-5f1-champ-sound-check

If interested how it sounds and looks, a little soundcheck😀

Quote from: Davy Vanthuyne on January 30, 2017, 02:24:15 PM
Thanks for all the replys. I've checked them all and have seen interesting amps, with different pricings.
I've found something by a local young ampbuilder who just started his business. I like people who wants to create something so I think I will help him to get his first amp sold. It's a Fender Champ clone with highquality parts in it, point to point handwired, solid pine cabinet, cotton tweed, JJ tubes, Hammond transformer, ...

That sounds like ought to work. Tell us how it does. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 30, 2017, 07:59:48 AM

Here's my amps. I use a Mackamp 1x10 speaker cab for both. The pic of the Gem 2.0 is not far from actual size. The Heatseeker is an 18 watt hand wired tube amp that I bought after much research. I was looking at getting a Marshall 1974x but was convinced the Heatseeker would do the same job for a third the price. They are made in Toronto. An old friend of mine and a fine guitarist, Richard Smythe, does the sound clips for them and highly recommended one so I got two. Mackamp's slogan basically is boutique quality for less. 

Tom, care to tell us what your outlay was for each head and the cab?

Also, Dave, your amp choice will also be driven (no pun intended) by whether you want the amp to create your overdrive tones (at house volume) or whether you're going to use pedals...

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 30, 2017, 10:20:43 PM
Tom, care to tell us what your outlay was for each head and the cab?

I don't remember exactly. Prices have gone up a little bit. I believe I paid around $1700.00 Canadian for the whole shebang including taxes (around $250.00) and shipping. I got a nice hat and two t-shirts thrown in. I sold my Fender Blues Deluxe to partially pay for it and I wish I still had that. Anyway, I'm going to say the Gem was under $400.00, the Heatseeker around $600.00 and the cab around $350.00    

Hmmm. The Gem doesn't show up on the website now, actually so maybe they've stopped making it. That's too bad. Everyone who's tried mine loves that little thing. The Heatseeker is great too. I believe Andrew Joyce has one, as well. Also looks like they've moved west to B.C.  

http://www.mackamps.com/guitar-amps-faq.html

http://www.mackamps.com/sounds.html  

Actually, the Gem comes up when Googled but not under amps available. Not sure what that means.

http://www.mackamps.com/pages/products/gem-2g-4-0-4w-1xel84.html

That's right mikeymac, that's one of the reasons why I've choosen for the Farfield with 5 watts, nice tube overdrive at a decent volumelevel.
I'm not much of an effectguy, like the guitar straight in the amp.

Did someone listened to the soundcheck? Thoughts?

I couldn't find the Gem either maybe those are out of production.

Quote from: Davy Vanthuyne on January 31, 2017, 08:56:52 AM
That's right mikeymac, that's one of the reasons why I've choosen for the Farfield with 5 watts, nice tube overdrive at a decent volumelevel.

I like it

Quote from: Davy Vanthuyne on January 31, 2017, 08:56:52 AM

I couldn't find the Gem either maybe those are out of production.

Seems like they are. Too bad. At the 0.4 watt setting you can turn the little thing up to ten and get the sweetest natural distortion without hurting your or anyone's ears. The 4.0 watt setting miked could easily be used on stage.  To tell the truth, I rarely if ever use the 18 watter unless I'm using my pedal board.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 31, 2017, 10:46:14 AM
Seems like they are. Too bad. At the 0.4 watt setting you can turn the little thing up to ten and get the sweetest natural distortion without hurting your or anyone's ears. The 4.0 watt setting miked could easily be used on stage.  To tell the truth, I rarely if ever use the 18 watter unless I'm using my pedal board.

On this page the Gem is still listed (with prices for Canada and US), while on the right side of the page, a more powerful Heatseeker and Skyraider are listed as discontinued...Hmmm...

http://www.mackamps.com/products-Mack-Amps
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992