Swedish Martins?

Started by ducktrapper, January 29, 2017, 11:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 29, 2017, 11:35:29 AM
You learn something new every day.

https://reverb.com/news/the-forgotten-martin-ld-18-made-in-sweden?utm_campaign=96fc5b8e14-rn170129_contentguitar&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=0_5889ed6702-96fc5b8e14-55757153

Indeed. Seems like there might be a paragraph or two about this in one of the Martin coffee table books, but I'd have to go check. Interesting stuff, though. They didn't really say whether these were shipped out of Sweden, but I assume some were - otherwise it wouldn't really matter on this side of the pond.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Sorry, I thought this was about Swedish martians  👽

Carry on

Interesting, I found this ...

"Martin Surname, Family Crest & Coats of Arms. Martin is an ancient Norman name that arrived in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066."

Normans came to France from Scandinavia (Norseman).  So, Swedish Martins make total sense.

Quote from: Walkerman on March 05, 2017, 06:59:25 PM
Interesting, I found this ...

"Martin Surname, Family Crest & Coats of Arms. Martin is an ancient Norman name that arrived in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066."

Normans came to France from Scandinavia (Norseman).  So, Swedish Martins make total sense.

I thought CF the first was German.   :?

"Christian Fredrick" has more than a tad of "norse" to my eats...
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 06, 2017, 03:36:00 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Frederick_Martin

Wow. That's a pretty brief write-up for someone so influential in modern acoustic guitars... gotta love the closing sentence:

"Martin's guitar construction and design innovations produced a model of flattop guitar that is still in use today."

Ya think?!  :laughin:

Quote from: Walkerman on March 05, 2017, 06:53:07 PM
Sorry, I thought this was about Swedish martians  👽

Carry on
Sorry, no.
I almost bought a PLevin Goya recently, until I researched them a little more.  (PLevin=Post Levin)  People say the Pre-Martin Goyas were great guitars, and are much prized today.  The post-Martin, Asian cheap laminate guitars, not so much.  Martin seemed to do everything they could to mess up a great company back then.  If they were going to make an Asian guitar to save on labor costs, why destroy their good name by making cheap laminate guitars like the Goya And Sigma lines?

Quote from: pewtergod on March 24, 2017, 06:03:52 PM
Sorry, no.
I almost bought a PLevin Goya recently, until I researched them a little more.  (PLevin=Post Levin)  People say the Pre-Martin Goyas were great guitars, and are much prized today.  The post-Martin, Asian cheap laminate guitars, not so much.  Martin seemed to do everything they could to mess up a great company back then.  If they were going to make an Asian guitar to save on labor costs, why destroy their good name by making cheap laminate guitars like the Goya And Sigma lines?

Well, the guitars didn't say "C.F. Martin" on the headstock, so no skin off their nose's reputation...