Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leho LGH-D14R  (Read 536 times)
pewtergod

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2017, 12:30:07 AM »

I know some people on here were wondering about these, too.  So I thought I'd buy one, and check it out!  Designed by Jean Larrivee, with a nice, even creamy top with plenty of cross-grain, silking, whatever, and a rosewood back and sides, satin finish, and free hard case, these things may be the best kept secret in guitars today.  No advertising here in the US, not even a website for them, but first-class design and materials for less than half the price of a comparable guitar.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 12:35:43 AM »

They look solid and are probably well built enough.  How does it sound?

George
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 12:41:07 AM »

If I were a better photographer, you'd see the tuners say GROVER.  Everything on this guitar is of similar quality and design as a lower priced (D-03R) Larrivee, but I only paid $700, with the case.  I can't believe that these haven't just sold like wildfire.  The action on it is more like an electric guitar than an acoustic, though if I strum too hard, I'll occasionally hear that metallic sound of strings vibrating against a fret, but that's a tradeoff you always get with the action this low.  The same silver-nickel alloy frets, well, here's the specs from Guitars Plus USA:
Features:

All Solid Wood Construction
    Solid AAA Sitka Spruce Top
    Solid Rosewood Back & Sides
    Mahogany Neck
    Indian Rosewood Fretboard and Bridge
    African Padauk Body and Fretboard Binding
    African Padauk Heel Cap and Tail Wedge
    Multi Strip Rope Rosette
    Traditional X-Bracing
    Dovetail Neck Joint
    Leho Appalachian Headstock
    White Wood-Fiber Inalid Logo
    Grover Tuners (16:1 Ratio)
    Dot Fretboard Inlays
    Traditional Black Pickguard
    1 11/16" Nut Width
    D'Addario Medium Gauge Strings
    Bone Nut, Saddle and Bridge Pins
    Satin Sheen Urethane Finish
    Lower Bout: 16"
    Upper Bout: 11.875"
    Waist: 11.125"
    Depth: 5"
    Scale Length: 25.5"
    Frets: Nickel Silver
    Fret Width 2.5mm (0.0985")
    Fret Height: 1.0mm (0.0394")

Includes a Hardshell Case
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »

They look solid and are probably well built enough.  How does it sound?
Wish I had a sound sample to post, but I'll get around to it.  Blows my Guilds and Blueridge away.  Of course, they are mahogany backed, and I'm really getting into the sound of this rosewood.  I wasn't really expecting it to have as good of a  bass response as my Guilds,  but it does anyway.  And it just rings forever, each note very distinct.  And it has almost as balanced a response as a Larrivee, across the whole tonal spectrum.  Since it hasn't had any time to break in and open up, I don't want to say too much about it, except I may invest in a couple more before the price starts rising, like it did on Larrivees.  If you closely at the grain in the top, it looks perfectly straight and evenly spaced.  There isn't a square inch where the silking isn't obvious. Nice wide nut, can't find anything not to like.  An amazing Larrivee copy.
pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 06:51:10 AM »

Oh, and the neck joint is like a Larrivee, so you have one of those huge truss rod adjusters, that go behind the top bracing, instead of just a hex wrench.  The block has Leho, a design with a seashell (Leho in Hawaiian) and the serial number etched into it.  Was going to buy another today, and three different places that had them a couple days ago were sold out.  Anybody else out there get one?
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »

When I do a search on the internet for Leho Guitars, nothing of significance comes up.  You have provided comprehensive specs.  Can you provide a link to these guitars and/or the site where the specs come from?

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

pewtergod

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »

When I do a search on the internet for Leho Guitars, nothing of significance comes up.  You have provided comprehensive specs.  Can you provide a link to these guitars and/or the site where the specs come from?
specs:
http://www.guitarsplususa.com/leho.shtml
For sale
http://www.guitarsplususa.com/leho.shtml
https://www.area22guitars.com/leho-guitars-d14r-acoustic-guitar/
https://reverb.com/item/1083686-leho-appalachian-lhg-d14r-acoustic-guitar-w-hsc-spruce-rosewood-new-30653
https://reverb.com/item/1446394-new-leho-appalachian-lhg-014m-spruce-top-mahogany-parlor-acoustic-guitar-w-ohsc
 Several places seem to have sold out in the last 2 or 3 days that had them in stock when I ordered mine.
The specs, like it says, are copied from WWW.GuitarsPlusUSA.  They had the most comprehensive list.
Another place lists the top as alpine spruce in one place and sitka in another. More than one other site lists the top as AAA spruce. Unfortunately, Leho only has a site about their ukuleles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: