Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cracked headstock - help!  (Read 2159 times)
Chasjax

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »

I tried to post earlier today about the OO-03ZW that I shipped and the headstock got cracked in shipment.  Don't  know why it didn't get posted (but I don't think I have ever originated a post - have only replied).  I'm seeing if this one goes out.  I packed the guitar perfectly, and when it arrived via USPS 2-day delivery the neck was cracked on the back just below the headstock.  Nightmare. 

Requesting your input regarding:
*  ever had this happen?
*  should I send it to Larrivee for repair?  Is installation of a whole new neck required?  Can a local luthier fix this?
*  Guesstimated cost to repair?

My worst nightmare - I have shipped or received ~ 6 guitars over the years and this is the first problem.  She is a perfect, beautiful guitar.

Chas
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 11:04:07 PM »

Hasn't happened to me but it seems to be one of the most common types of damage to occur in shipping. I've seen other Larrivees with this damage.
Can't say for certain without pics, but it's likely repairable. You don't need to send it to Larrivee, any good luthier is capable of repairing it equally well, and likely quicker, from what I hear.
Cost will largely depend who you take it to. I won't give a guesstimate without seeing a pic.

Good news, they can often be repaired so well that you'd never know it happened unless you looked. I played a Larrivee with a repaired neck that was amazing (would have bought it if the price were reasonable). Just be sure that it doesn't get messed with until it's in the hands of the luthier. Preserving the position of the break and the splinters is CRITICAL.

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:31:05 PM »

I packed the guitar perfectly, and when it arrived via USPS 2-day delivery the neck was cracked on the back just below the headstock.

Without pics its difficult to opin on the repair detail. So until pics, maybe describe the packing. Usually an injury like this results from the package being dropped a good distance or thrown without adequate support in the cracked area you described - very common  ohmy

Regardless, sorry to hear of this misfortune!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 02:52:57 AM »

Chaz;
Sorry to hear about the break, you must have felt really disapointed

my headstock break story;

i have an OMV10 that when brand new had a headstock break in shipping, was fixed by someone... no idea who...  Todd bought it, played it for awhile, cut a soundport in it, sold it and in shipping the headstock broke again in the same place, and i bought it from him in two pieces after he had it returned...

Paul Iverson in Vancouver has now fixed it permently for me, it's rock solid stable and the fix is pretty much invisable, oh and it sounds awesome squared...

End game? get it fixed by someone REALLY good and it should be stable...  get it fixed by someone less skilled / experienced, and it may well fall part again

I would not send it to Larrivee, they make guitars and that's not the same skill as repairing them.

With a headstock break the resale value is now trashed in any case, so i'd get it fixed really well, and make it my lifetime keeper!

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:01:43 AM »

pix would help.Done 600-700 maybe more over 50 years.Done right it will last forever

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »

Good news, they can often be repaired so well that you'd never know it happened unless you looked. I played a Larrivee with a repaired neck that was amazing (would have bought it if the price were reasonable). Just be sure that it doesn't get messed with until it's in the hands of the luthier. Preserving the position of the break and the splinters is CRITICAL.

Along with keeping grease/oils/dirt out of the break.

Usually, a glued joint is stronger than the original wood grain.

Ed
Chasjax

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input.  I agree with Dermot to get it fixed and keep it.  Unclrob - I will forward the photos that the buyer sent me - they were taken with his tablet and are ~ 2 megs each.  I now realize that is why my original post did not go out - the file size was too large. 

Chas
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:15:32 PM »

Chaz;
Sorry to hear about the break, you must have felt really disapointed

my headstock break story;

i have an OMV10 that when brand new had a headstock break in shipping, was fixed by someone... no idea who...  Todd bought it, played it for awhile, cut a soundport in it, sold it and in shipping the headstock broke again in the same place, and i bought it from him in two pieces after he had it returned...

Paul Iverson in Vancouver has now fixed it permently for me, it's rock solid stable and the fix is pretty much invisable, oh and it sounds awesome squared...

End game? get it fixed by someone REALLY good and it should be stable...  get it fixed by someone less skilled / experienced, and it may well fall part again

I would not send it to Larrivee, they make guitars and that's not the same skill as repairing them.

With a headstock break the resale value is now trashed in any case, so i'd get it fixed really well, and make it my lifetime keeper!

Larrivee does repair guitars and do a very good job. However, I imagine it would be mostly limited to warranty work. 
boaz212

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 06:43:50 PM »

Thank you all for the advice.  Here are some pics of the neck that was damaged.

Another question is how much will it depreciate the value of the guitar when something like this happens to it?

Thanks in advance.
Tim
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »

Ouch.  You have taken the tension off (i.e. loosened) the strings, haven't you?

Ed
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »

nice guitar That break can be fixed.You will soon be 

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »

You got lucky! That's absolutely repairable and will be clean enough not to totally kill the value of the guitar.

D-02-12
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 01:11:10 AM »

You got lucky! That's absolutely repairable and will be clean enough not to totally kill the value of the guitar.

+1

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

boaz212

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 06:33:04 PM »

Does anyone know of a good guitar repair place in Fairfax, VA area?  I found Union Street Guitar Works in Occoquan and a neighbor works at Foxes Music in Falls Church.  Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
Tim
Chasjax

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »

Wow - what a repair job!  I'm feeling better already about what seems to be a much simpler fix to the 00.  Tim is having it repaired in the Washington DC area and it should be completed later this week.

I will ask Tim to post pics of the finished product and his assessment.  Thanks to everyone who provided advice.

What was interesting is how common cracked headstocks seem to be, but maybe on a % basis it is not that great considering how many guitars get shipped from the manufacturers to dealers, etc.

Does anyone have knowledge or opinion regarding if shipping via common carrier from manufacturer to dealers is safer, or has less problems, than via USPS. FedEx, or UPS?

Chas
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »

Wow - what a repair job!  I'm feeling better already about what seems to be a much simpler fix to the 00.  Tim is having it repaired in the Washington DC area and it should be completed later this week.

I will ask Tim to post pics of the finished product and his assessment.  Thanks to everyone who provided advice.

What was interesting is how common cracked headstocks seem to be, but maybe on a % basis it is not that great considering how many guitars get shipped from the manufacturers to dealers, etc.

Does anyone have knowledge or opinion regarding if shipping via common carrier from manufacturer to dealers is safer, or has less problems, than via USPS. FedEx, or UPS?

Chas

I think it has more to do with proper packing (i.e. supported/immobilized headstock) than handling. 

Ed
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »

Use FedEx. They are generally less rough. I've even seen some dealers say that if you have a return, you MUST use FedEx. I've never had a guitar damaged in transit out of maybe 30, using all the carriers but I've shipped and received thousands of other items through my business and the FedEx boxes are always less likely to be damaged. In fact, I just received a gallon of solvent today that I was worried about because it comes in a square tin. The box looks as if it were just packed. You'd never know it traveled through FedEx ground.

D-02-12
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 06:20:45 AM »

I think it has more to do with proper packing (i.e. supported/immobilized headstock) than handling. 

Ed
+1  I can't agree more.  Leave nothing to chance.  Be anal about packing it properly.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: