Bands or Artists Who Have "Shot Themselves in the Foot".

Started by ducktrapper, January 27, 2017, 02:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was listening to Blodwyn Pig today. Great English blues/rock band from the late 60's. Guitarist Mick Abrahams left Jethro Tull after Tull's first album and formed BP. Their first album Ahead (sic) Rings Out is a great blues album from that period. However, I believe if they had have given themselves a more flattering name and a less controversial album cover they may have had a long successful career and be mentioned in the same breath as Cream, Clapton, Fleetwood Mac and the other great British blues bands.  

Anyone think of any other bands/artists who "shot themselves in the foot" with dumb, albeit perhaps with honest intentions and artistic integrity, career moves.    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blodwyn_Pig

I don't know right off but that's one hip pig!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

When U2 showed up in everyone's iTunes as a gift. Many unhappy people with that. I think they have survived the injury
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 30, 2017, 04:51:47 PM
When U2 showed up in everyone's iTunes as a gift. Many unhappy people with that. I think they have survived the injury

I'm not quite sure I understand that. Actually, I'm pretty sure I don't. At least, the first part.  :smile: 

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 30, 2017, 04:51:47 PM

Its funny you mention that as I was wondering just the other day why it was there as I didn't remember ordering it.  Mystery solved.   Thanks :thumbsup
Steve ....aka the SMan

Do I understand that U2 gave away some music and people are upset?

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 30, 2017, 09:19:07 PM
Do I understand that U2 gave away some music and people are upset?

Yes - they gave away their last album by having it automatically load into people's iTunes accounts.  Many people were upset.  I am a huge U2 fan, and really only care for 1 of the songs.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 30, 2017, 09:43:16 PM
Yes - they gave away their last album by having it automatically load into people's iTunes accounts.  Many people were upset.  I am a huge U2 fan, and really only care for 1 of the songs.

Why the anger? Only those who don't have Itune accounts? Could you still buy it in other formats? CD?

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 30, 2017, 09:54:46 PM
Why the anger? Only those who don't have Itune accounts? Could you still buy it in other formats? CD?

People that like to bag on U2 and particularly Bono, declared it was a presumptuous move to think that everyone wanted free U2 music.  U2 had a pretty funny response to the whole thing.

Here's a link to the video: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1127818/Bono-apologizes-iTunes-album-release.html

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Well, I have to say I don't get it. Can't you delete it if you don't like or want it? Ignore it? Just not play it? Is that the only format it was available in? Anyway, this comes across more like a band that got soot on their face rather than shot themselves in the foot.   :beer

Dylan when he went electric?   :laughin: :whistling:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I really hated when the Bee Gees went "disco", but it certainly didn't hurt their careers.  I loved their early stuff.  "To Love Somebody" is one of my all time favorite songs, and I play it regularly.

More to the topic,  I think there are certain bands that "shot themselves in the foot", by changing personnel.  In some cases, members were "fired" and in other cases, members quit which left them no choice but to find someone else if they were to carry on.

The Byrds comes to mind.  To me, they were the perfect band with the original line-up and were never as good after that.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on February 02, 2017, 12:17:07 AM
I really hated when the Bee Gees went "disco", but it certainly didn't hurt their careers.  I loved their early stuff.  "To Love Somebody" is one of my all time favorite songs, and I play it regularly.

More to the topic,  I think there are certain bands that "shot themselves in the foot", by changing personnel.  In some cases, members were "fired" and in other cases, members quit which left them no choice but to find someone else if they were to carry on.

The Byrds comes to mind.  To me, they were the perfect band with the original line-up and were never as good after that.

Or when the rest of CCR insisted on recording some of their own songs? That was the end of a very good band. Have you heard Mardi Gras?   :yak: 

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 02, 2017, 06:46:39 AM
Or when the rest of CCR insisted on recording some of their own songs? That was the end of a very good band. Have you heard Mardi Gras?   :yak: 

CCR is/was one of my favorite bands - still love the fact that Fogarty is out there doing his music with passion and precision.

I think CCR had two serious foot wounds (and then more when the lawyers got involved):

1. When Tom Fogarty left the band (also before Mardi Gras, BTW);
2. When the other guys insisted on having their songs in the mix - their writing just wasn't at the level of John's, and John's songs created the "image" or "culture" of the band, for lack of a better word...

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Also, for me, there are a number of artists who I used to love - and they're exceptionally talented - but when they've gone political, for me at least, they've shot themselves in the foot. Same goes for many actors. I don't want to turn this thread in a bad direction, but it is something that has turned me off to a number of artists...I don't buy their stuff anymore, and I've pretty much stopped listening to their music, even when I used to be a big fan.

Nuff said.  :cop:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 15, 2017, 09:17:23 AM
Also, for me, there are a number of artists who I used to love - and they're exceptionally talented - but when they've gone political, for me at least, they've shot themselves in the foot. Same goes for many actors. I don't want to turn this thread in a bad direction, but it is something that has turned me off to a number of artists...I don't buy their stuff anymore, and I've pretty much stopped listening to their music, even when I used to be a big fan.

Well, I have to agree. I have nothing against political songs until they become partisan political songs. The first could be art, the second ... propaganda. My main objection is I generally don't want to hear that song over and over again. I got it the first time. Of course, Ohio is a good song but Living With War is not. 

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 15, 2017, 09:17:23 AM

I agree with you and Ducktrapper.  Neil Young comes to mind and Bono come to mind.  I don't even mind as much if their songs are political.  It's when they attend rally's and preach that irks me.