CITES screwup

Started by Walkerman, January 19, 2017, 07:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, the new CITES regulations state NO rosewood of any type can be shipped across international borders without cites documentation and fees.  The problem is, the government does not yet have the documents necessary for shipping available.  So, Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Gibson, Fender and all the rest cannot ship their guitars overseas.  There have been thousands of layoffs in the guitar industry.  Some of these companies are in dire financial straits.  I hope the government gets it together soon.

Yup, indeed. I asked Jason about sending a guitar to Europe. Does this affects also the persons carrying themselves their guitars? Or any other woods to be sent, for that matter?  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: divertis on January 19, 2017, 07:51:41 PM
Yup, indeed. I asked Jason about sending a guitar to Europe. Does this affects also the persons carrying themselves their guitars? Or any other woods? 

Yes, if you wish to carry a guitar across the border you will need paperwork...
George

I am in Europe, I was thinking to get one acoustical electrical Larry from States. Or to ask my cousin in law to bring it with him when coming to Europe as workaround. 

Quote from: divertis on January 19, 2017, 07:51:41 PM

Does this affects also the persons carrying themselves their guitars? Or any other woods to be sent, for that matter?  

A privately owned instrument is not supposed to be affected if it is under 10 kilos.  BUT... we all know how well trained customs is.

IT affects ALL rosewood species and several species of Bubinga.

"Thousands of layoffs in the guitar industry"??  This new law has barely taken effect but thousands of people have lost jobs based on rosewood equipped guitars that have had export delayed for the last 3 weeks?   I'm sure it's stressing as companies await the govt system to get in place, and that's unfortunate, but any company that's folding over this temporary problem was on seriously shaky legs to begin with.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

The OP's last sentence, "I hope the government get's it together soon" cracked me up.

If this is about Rosewood and Bubinga, then what about other woods? How can the owners carry their older guitars while traveling? And for new guitars, you'll need anyways papers proving that the wood is legit, or the wood is not concerned by the regulations. This gets very complicated. I would expect this to affect the new commercial trades, not particular owners. But  who will take the risk of trying it with customs?

Quote from: B0WIE on January 19, 2017, 08:45:20 PM
"Thousands of layoffs in the guitar industry"??  This new law has barely taken effect but thousands of people have lost jobs based on rosewood equipped guitars that have had export delayed for the last 3 weeks?   I'm sure it's stressing as companies await the govt system to get in place, and that's unfortunate, but any company that's folding over this temporary problem was on seriously shaky legs to begin with.

Martin and Taylor?  Dire financial straits means no working capital, not folding. The problem with globalization is when the borders are closed for business, businesses close.  And the delay is months, not weeks.  On the other hand, the american market is flooded with guitars that cannot go overseas.  Bargain time for us.

When I look, it seems the import/export rules have nothing to do with any decline in the guitar industry.  It is that the market has reached near saturation.  But, folks can promote any conspiracy they want these days, apparently.    :rolleye:

Ed

Quote from: Walkerman on January 19, 2017, 07:05:49 PM
There have been thousands of layoffs in the guitar industry. 

Please back up this statement.  I'm no industry insider but I wasn't aware of any recent layoffs and could not find anything on a web search.

Quote from: Walkerman on January 19, 2017, 07:05:49 PM
Some of these companies are in dire financial straits. 

Given your close association to Larrivee this statement would imply that they are currently in dire financial straits.

Larrivee L-03R
Martin D-16GT
Norman B-15

Quote from: mlejeune67 on January 20, 2017, 06:49:09 AM
Please back up this statement.  I'm no industry insider but I wasn't aware of any recent layoffs and could not find anything on a web search.

The only instances of widespread layoffs I can find were from 2009 (at Martin) when the country was recovering from a deep recession.

Ed

Quote from: riverrummed on January 19, 2017, 10:00:36 PM
The OP's last sentence, "I hope the government get's it together soon" cracked me up.

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."   :blush:

I don't think there is any denying the potential devastating effect this will have on the US guitar industry. Safe to say the Rosewood Guitar would be the main product line for most of these companies. Liken it to imposing Ford with, you can no longer export F150's until some future unclear and unknown date.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 20, 2017, 07:28:02 AM
I don't think there is any denying the potential devastating effect this will have on the US guitar industry. Safe to say the Rosewood Guitar would be the main product line for most of these companies. Liken it to imposing Ford with, you can no longer export F150's until some future unclear and unknown date.

There is also no denying that passing off unsubstantiated speculation as fact serves no constructive purpose.

Ed

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 20, 2017, 07:28:02 AM

And don't forget rosewood bridges, fretboards and headstock.  As for layoffs, I believe Taylor and Martin have virtually closed their Mexican facilities because all guitars made there must stay there ..... so why make them.

Not to make light of the situation, but for me, it means when I set my first international tour, I'll have to buy new gear and a place to store it "over there".  :nana_guitar :humour:
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Hooked on January 20, 2017, 09:52:45 AM
Not to make light of the situation, but for me, it means when I set my first international tour, I'll have to buy new gear and a place to store it "over there".  :nana_guitar :humour:

It means you will receive a cites "passport" for your guitar when you buy it.  You will carry that when you travel with your instrument.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 20, 2017, 07:27:38 AM
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."   :blush:

I thought it was "I'm not happy until you are not happy..."
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)