Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CITES screwup  (Read 5308 times)
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2017, 02:44:16 AM »

For Canadians with questions about Rosewood importing . . . via The Canadian Guitar Forum

Cites Management
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment Canada
Ottawa,Ontario
K1A0H3
Email: ec.cites.ec@canada.ca
Phone: +1(819)9384119
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2017, 08:24:01 PM »

For Canadians with questions about Rosewood importing . . . via The Canadian Guitar Forum

Cites Management
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment Canada
Ottawa,Ontario
K1A0H3
Email: ec.cites.ec@canada.ca
Phone: +1(819)9384119
Thank you!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
divertis

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »

Did anyone travel yet over the US or Canadian borders with a guitar? I really want an acoustical-electric Larrivee and I could ask my brother in Law to bring it from Canada to Europe. But I am really worried about the risks of having it seized in Customs.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2017, 11:59:52 PM »

I see Larrivee is offering a contest to win a P-01 but the email ends with:

*Winner of guitar must have a USA shipping address. Guitar will not ship outside the USA.

Is this related to the CITES mess 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2017, 12:40:46 AM »

I see Larrivee is offering a contest to win a P-01 but the email ends with:

*Winner of guitar must have a USA shipping address. Guitar will not ship outside the USA.

Is this related to the CITES mess 

Cites are now in hand, but there is an added cost to shipping across borders.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2017, 06:09:07 AM »

I see Larrivee is offering a contest to win a P-01

Details?

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
markj

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »

Buy a shirt here: http://www.larrivee.com/shop/promo

Take a photo of yourself wearing the shirt and holding a Larrivee guitar. Post it on instagram under the #ipicklarrivee hash tag.

There's a code for free shipping. I can't seem to find it. I will keep looking...
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2017, 06:10:06 PM »

So why exclude  I have no problem paying shipping to Canada if thats the issue. Pretty sure most everyone else would also if they won the prize.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »

So why exclude  I have no problem paying shipping to Canada if thats the issue. Pretty sure most everyone else would also if they won the prize.

Tell junior.
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »

It's not just shipping.  However, as long as there is zero rosewood or bubinga then the guitar should not envoke the new $100 CITES fee.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »

Was talking to John McQuarrie  (Northwood Guitars) up here in Canada and he was telling me that even if the guitar has only a small piece of rosewood on it, like say a heal cap, you have to have a cites pass to ship out of the country.  He says, no big deal getting it, but ya gotta pay the piper.
Sorta seems like just another tax huh.
David

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »

Sorta seems like just another tax huh.
David

Seems like incentive to not use banned materials.

The real problem is going to be inspectors/agents being paid $8 an hour and expected to know the difference between rosewood and maple.

Ed
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2017, 03:15:46 AM »

The real problem is going to be inspectors/agents being paid $8 an hour and expected to know the difference between rosewood and maple.

Ed

Yes, but the bulk of the materials that caused the decline in rosewoods were used for shipping crates, or cheap furniture, not musical instruments. More importantly, builders will respond quickly to find alternate woods, but rosewoods have been used in instrument buioding for a long time, and there's no logical reason why someone's sister should have their 40 year old guitar confiscated just because they carried it across a border.

The weirdness is that people get stopped at "the 49th" all the time because some $8/hour labourer thinks google is an AI.

North American builders would do well to buy some google adwords that link their products to specific web pages that show their products are built with rosewood that was sourced pre-CITEs limitations.d

The piano world dealt well with ivory, the violin world dealt well with pernambuco, and their monetary clout was negligible compared to guitar manufacturers.

Rosewood is sourced in relatively few places - and the borders of those places are where the focus should be placed.

This nonsense of hyper-empowering rent-a-cops needs to be dealt with logically.
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2017, 08:56:28 AM »

Yes, but the bulk of the materials that caused the decline in rosewoods were used for shipping crates, or cheap furniture, not musical instruments. More importantly, builders will respond quickly to find alternate woods, but rosewoods have been used in instrument buioding for a long time, and there's no logical reason why someone's sister should have their 40 year old guitar confiscated just because they carried it across a border.

The weirdness is that people get stopped at "the 49th" all the time because some $8/hour labourer thinks google is an AI.

North American builders would do well to buy some google adwords that link their products to specific web pages that show their products are built with rosewood that was sourced pre-CITEs limitations.d

The piano world dealt well with ivory, the violin world dealt well with pernambuco, and their monetary clout was negligible compared to guitar manufacturers.

Rosewood is sourced in relatively few places - and the borders of those places are where the focus should be placed.

I agree with your sentiment, but that doesn't help most of us.  As a Canadian, I'm now inclined to just keep any transactions within Canada and forego any other deals, even if they are really good ones; if they involve another country.  I suspect that is the thinking of many other members (to keep transactions within their own country).  That is really unfortunate.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2017, 11:27:28 PM »

Ed
EIR is banned?  When did that happen?
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »

EIR is banned?  When did that happen?

That's where the whole conversation started...  all dalbergia.  And, you're the person who started it.  It'd help if you'd pay attention.

http://acousticguitar.com/will-new-rosewood-trade-restrictions-have-implications-for-acoustic-guitarists/

https://cites.org/eng/new_CITES_trade_rules_come_into_effect_as_2017_starts_02012017

Ed
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »

That's where the whole conversation started...  all dalbergia.  And, you're the person who started it.  It'd help if you'd pay attention.

http://acousticguitar.com/will-new-rosewood-trade-restrictions-have-implications-for-acoustic-guitarists/

https://cites.org/eng/new_CITES_trade_rules_come_into_effect_as_2017_starts_02012017

Ed

There is a difference between banned and regulated.  Banned means unavailable.  Regulated means the government wants a bigger slice of the pie.   It would help if you'd understand what you are posting about.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »

Remind you both of rule one Be Friendly - nobody really cares to see unfriendly posts.

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2017, 09:19:28 PM »

Remind you both of rule one Be Friendly - nobody really cares to see unfriendly posts.

Some of us don't care to see stupid or foolish posts, but we put up with it...  repeatedly.

Ed
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2017, 01:07:11 AM »

It's a free country... no one forces anyone to stop in here.

Speaking of things being banned...

cop

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: