Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Til Lightning Cracked The Sky (and close dance with death)  (Read 460 times)
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:40:14 AM »

Don't get on here so much anymore but for old times sake thought I'd share my coulda/shoulda been dead (or apparently not?) experience with old friends. There will be a link to song at end of this.  Nov. 4 started like any other day. Coffee, pick up guitar, wander around aimlessly. On this morning I did happen to pick up heavy amp and move it before I sat down to play some guitar. While playing my lower back start hurting. I thought I had tweaked it moving amp. That's exactly what it felt like and in the same place. BUT it kept getting worse and worse and worse. I still thought it was muscle in back though. So my silly thought (that saved my life) was to see if I could get a massage, quick like. 3 places, sorry no slots open now. The 4th place didn't have one either but they said come on in due to my explaining that this was really painful. They said come in an hour and they might be able to get to me. I said I'm coming straight on in now, and I'll wait. I got about 5 miles up the road, INTO TOWN, when I got extremely dizzy and within 10 seconds went unconscious. I somehow kept going over 1000 ft. Running red light across busy highway and  skirting between cars. Into a tree and totaled car. Let me pause here to say that the commercials touting safety of Suburu cars are warranted. I hit the tree so hard that a heavy duty Atlas mic stand in the back hit the passenger's seat so hard that it bent the seat side ways. But other than the airbag bruising a ribs, the accident part didn't really hurt me. What was going on was that I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that had ruptured. Kills about 80%+  of people it happens to. The pain in my back was from blood pooling up that was coming from the main southbound artery out of heart. Same thing that almost killed Gordon Lightfoot a while back. He still had a much rougher time of it. Because I made it to town, the EMT's got there quickly. If I had been at home I would have just passed out and died. Helicopter ride to hospital 80 miles away. Excellent surgeon to put in stent and I'm still here. (short version) Many coincidences or divine intervention, saved me. So don't take life for granted! So of course I had to write a song based on experience. As far as lyrics go, as usual the are BASED on experience. I wouldn't say that I never saw a damn thing, it's more that it hopefully woke me up some to DO more right things. I'll put a couple more songs on here that I've written over the last few months. Certainly not all of them because I write a lot, but finger pickin stuff that we seem to like here. I video all these things the same day I write songs so bare with phrasing and guitar sounding like it's the first time I played song because it basically is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bc25PjmHh4  Til Lightning Cracked the Sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tE3QYs7h-w  Sun's Comin Up. I'm Goin Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tbfjgxhmg   Souls in the Wind....When the winds start blowing with a hurricane, I can always feel the history of where the storm has already been. I wrote and recorded this the night hurricane Matthew was passing by. It had already brought much death and damage to Haiti and did a number on Florida as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJVuRVjo5ls I'll Stand With You.   Wrote this today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W89Mfbw4rt8  The Princess and the King.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:18:36 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tbfjgxhmg   Souls in the Wind....When the winds start blowing with a hurricane, I can always feel the history of where the storm has already been. I wrote and recorded this the night hurricane Matthew was passing by. It had already brought much death and damage to Haiti and did a number on Florida as well.
Souls in the Wind is the best one. Once you start listening to the words you can't stop.
There is a large gold nugget in the harp solo at 3.17, especially the part from 3.30-3.36. Wow.
Mike
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »

Souls in the Wind is the best one. Once you start listening to the words you can't stop.
There is a large gold nugget in the harp solo at 3.17, especially the part from 3.30-3.36. Wow.
Mike

Thanks. My method is to write every week and see what sticks, mainly from input from folks like you. Not shy about putting out whatever I write because it's hard to be subjective sometimes. Feedback good. If one out of 5 is pretty darn good, I'm good. That's 8-10 keepers a year. I enjoy playing harp. Enjoy it more when I sit in with folks and only play IT, where I can get my hands around it. I sit in with one blues band, mostly cross harp, and one islandy band, straight harp. On this song that would be a minor harmonica.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 02:54:09 PM »

Just count yourself as one of the Blessed.  Every day you are allowed to get up and live another one is a Great Day!  I am an eleven year stage 3 colo-rectal cancer survivor and every day I remind myself that Life is All Good!  Does not help my guitar playing, but I keep on trying...

George
Strings4Him
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

Mike

Yes this one is excellent!  So glad you made it through your crisis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: