I can't take the beatings anymore..so help me

Started by unclrob, January 18, 2017, 10:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

design my rpj guitar works page.

Things I've thought of:

A video introduction....ok stupid I know but you all know my typing skills.

I've built a ton of tele's and even though I don't plan on building anymore I thought I get pix of the one's I know were they are.

Thats it my brain hurts and I can't think but since I know that ya'll are smarter then me help an old man out with some suggestion good,bad,funny what ever.

Feel free to have fun.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I know you're not much for taking pictures, Rob, but maybe some before and after photos of some of your repairs? It might also be interesting to show a step by step "photo journal" of a repair from beginning to end - kind of like Dan Erlewine does in his column in Vintage Guitar Magazine.

Also, maybe a list of a few higher end or vintage instruments you've working on, to give your potential customers trust in your experience.

A few customer testimonies about how happy they are with the work you did for them? Even better - if you've done any repair work for a guitar shop, or someone well known (like Dan Erlewine or George Gruhn, etc.) that would inspire confidence as well.

Those are a few thoughts.

BTW, the intro video is a great idea!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

My 2ยข
For the page, examples of your work and a brief, friendly introduction in type are very good. Do the video, but don't expect people to click on it on your home page. You need something written.  
Use YouTube as a means of free advertising. Consider an, "Uncle Rob's Corner" where you show common guitar issues and describe how they get addressed. Be sure to include, "guitar repair in the ___ area" in the description as it helps people find you. For instance, one vid could be,  "Fixing Guitar Buzz", another,  Repairing A Crack".
Include links on the web page so people looking to find more about you can see them and get reassurance that you know what you're doing.  You don't even need to show the repair, just give an education about diagnosis and available solutions.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Here's my friend and go to guitar guy's website. Marty used to be the GUY at The Podium in Minneapolis up until it closed and now works out of his home. Maybe you can get a few ideas from it. Besides, you guys could be brothers.  :laughin:

http://mnluthier.com/

Don't you have a 13 year old that hangs around the shop
who can do this for you?

Would take him/her about 10 minutes. 

:tongue:

Duck I couldn't connect but would love too.

tlp2 my son is 17 and so far he's only willing to roady for me from the "Shed" to the car,from the car to the "Shed".A friend loaned me a camera now I need to go out and buy batteries..My wife might agree to type for me.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on January 20, 2017, 06:37:40 PM
Duck I couldn't connect but would love too.

tlp2 my son is 17 and so far he's only willing to roady for me from the "Shed" to the car,from the car to the "Shed".A friend loaned me a camera now I need to go out and buy batteries..My wife might agree to type for me.

I'm not sure what happened. It worked when I posted it. Maybe just down for the day. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 19, 2017, 08:40:33 AM
Here's my friend and go to guitar guy's website. Marty used to be the GUY at The Podium in Minneapolis up until it closed and now works out of his home. Maybe you can get a few ideas from it. Besides, you guys could be brothers.  :laughin:

http://mnluthier.com/

Another vote for Marty's advice.  The guy is, (sometimes arguably, most times not), the best luthier in the Midwest and would provide you with the best insight AND, more importantly, prevent you from making start-up mistakes that might be awkward to undo.  He's got a huge catalog of experience.
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Marty tells me that his webpage is undergoing an update and will be back up soon.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 20, 2017, 07:12:33 PM

I'm not sure what happened. It worked when I posted it. Maybe just down for the day. 

It's back up. Interesting stuff. Would love to have a chance to stop by his shop sometime.

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 20, 2017, 10:37:34 PM
It's back up. Interesting stuff. Would love to have a chance to stop by his shop sometime.

Marty's a wizard with wood. He has some very interesting processes, some of which he's invented. And his prices are very, very fair. He brings back old Harmonys from the dead as a hobby, as well. It's a three and a half hour drive for me but I have a couple things I need to bring to him in the spring. I leave them with him. Have lunch with him, drive home and return later to get them. That'll mean two seven hour drives but I wouldn't bring my guitars to anyone else. Well, I'd bring them to you Rob but that would even be farther.  :cheers 

Nice website.When you find someone who still has the passion after all those years it always worth the time because you know the joy being it brings you and a smile to a tech is the best tip you can bring them{ok a bottle of scotch and a pizza is cool too.for me its Fig Newtons}
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 21, 2017, 07:43:21 AM
Marty's a wizard with wood. He has some very interesting processes, some of which he's invented. And his prices are very, very fair. He brings back old Harmonys from the dead as a hobby, as well.

Good to know - I may be visiting with him about a lefty conversion soon. It's only about a two hour/fifteen minute drive for me. I'll make a day of it.

Does he have his own shop, or does he still work at The Podium/Guitar Rodeo?

Sorry, Rob - off topic!

:donut :coffee

When you find someone who love's what he does you pass the word.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 21, 2017, 08:38:09 PM
Good to know - I may be visiting with him about a lefty conversion soon. It's only about a two hour/fifteen minute drive for me. I'll make a day of it.

Does he have his own shop, or does he still work at The Podium/Guitar Rodeo?

Sorry, Rob - off topic!

:donut :coffee

He works out of his house now since the Dinkytown shop closed down. I gather he works at the New Podium one day a week, as well. The loss of The Podium was a lousy thing for Minneapolis and the world.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 22, 2017, 07:53:45 AM
He works out of his house now since the Dinkytown shop closed down. I gather he works at the New Podium one day a week, as well. The loss of The Podium was a lousy thing for Minneapolis and the world.

Thanks for the extra info...

...I didn't get to the cities today like I had hoped - oh well, hope to get there either Saturday or next Monday.

Here's my two cents worth Uncle Rob. You've already taken a giant step by realizing you need a solid web presence. People with your skill set are highly sought after,therefore you need to make sure you highlight those skills by using before/after pictures and videos. I would also mention that you not only are well qualified to handle repairs,you have also assisted hundreds of players do their own simple repairs via the forum(check to see if that's permissible first!). Remember,you are trying to sell yourself to people who have never heard of you.

Think of it this way,if a player has a guitar worth several thousands of dollars that is now needing work, how can you showcase your skills in order to attract that customer? A customer that can afford a high quality guitar is not going to skimp on repairs,therefore he is going to look for someone like you if you can convince him you're the real deal. Your job is to make it hard for him to walk away from you.

I would check out several quality web sites and take note of how they designed their sites. Pay attention to things like content and layout. Note how the information is presented. It has to be easy to read and should be interesting enough to make a potential customer want to spend some time on your site.

Finally,don't be intimidated by web design. You will be amazed at what you can do with premade templates from Wix or Weebly. Easy peasy drag and drop stuff.

Well,that's my two cents worth. I wish you the best.

Ron
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

I just realized that you all think this is a website update,its not everyone wants me to do a facebook page and I'm still not sure its worth it.The beatings continue.........
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on January 25, 2017, 11:44:42 AM
I just realized that you all think this is a website update,its not everyone wants me to do a facebook page and I'm still not sure its worth it.The beatings continue.........

I would think it would be easy to link your website and Facebook page. 

Quote from: unclrob on January 25, 2017, 11:44:42 AM

A facebook page is much easier than a website, and probably gets a lot more attention!  I have one, and the only thing I avoid is the advertising boosts that FB wants you to pay for.  They swear they will increase your exposure, but so will just inviting everyone you know and everyone they know and so on...
George