Original Recordings

Started by mike in lytle, January 18, 2017, 02:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I like them.  Both performances and recordings are very good.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Mark, Kurt, George,
Thanks for the input.
I get the reverb thing. It WAS a bit much. Will tone it down, if not eliminate.
The "skillful" thing... I am hanging on to my fingernails off a cliff doing these recordings. Six months (or a year) from now they will all be perfect and smooth and polished sounding. The Larrivee group gets to hear the first acceptable version... well, there is the Fahey group that gets to hear as well, but only cause I am so spastic sounding, but there is tiny traffic there. Not that John was spastic.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 06, 2017, 08:19:42 PM
Mark, Kurt, George,
Thanks for the input.
The "skillful" thing... I am hanging on to my fingernails off a cliff doing these recordings. Six months (or a year) from now they will all be perfect and smooth and polished sounding. The Larrivee group gets to hear the first acceptable version... well, there is the Fahey group that gets to hear as well, but only cause I am so spastic sounding, but there is tiny traffic there. Not that John was spastic.
Mike

Don't sell yourself short.  You are a very good player and I don't hear a lot of things in your playing that need to be "fixed".  You are way beyond me in terms of fingerstyle playing, that's for sure.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 06, 2017, 08:19:42 PM
Mark, Kurt, George,
Thanks for the input.
Mike

Mike you are way more talented with fingerstyle than myself as well.  I hear you getting better and better every time I hear a new recording you have made.  I also think that reverb (and other effects on backing tracks) adds realism when you are attempting to emulate a certain size room in your recordings.  I use it a lot...
Keep on keepin' on sir!
George

:donut :donut2 :coffee
Okay, I may be on well-deserved self-imposed time out from the group conversations in general, but I will still share music...

Top tune....
https://soundcloud.com/user-31196277

Called "Spring Marching North". I have never been able to play it without mistakes, but I did a take with the newly obtained 1995 L-10 Brazilian and it sounds pretty good. A couple flubs near the end, oh well. I haven't changed the strings on the guitar since I got it, and have never been able to "hear" it, cause it doesn't have a pickup. When I heard this recording, I thought "this is a "tonally superior guitar".

Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I did not hear any flubs Mike, all I heard was genuine character.  Good job sir!  and you are right, that guitar sounds tonally superb...
George

My only, not criticism, suggestion would be to try to add some changes of pace. While, they're all pretty good, there's a certain sameness to the pieces, tempo wise. It seems to me that you could make things more interesting by changing tempos or adding, say, 16th notes. Again, not a criticism but a suggestion. Good stuff though.   :beer