Which would you buy

Started by Walkerman, January 16, 2017, 10:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What "other maker" guitar would you buy.  Key word is buy ... so not like a pre war Martin, etc, but something you would spend your money on.

Me, I would like to get a Santa Cruz Firefly.  Someday I may.

I would like to make a trip to the Collings factory and see if I could find one that excelled and then buy it...  I already have Martins, Northwoods, Morgans and lots of Larrivee's, so I would like to buy something even more excellent... 
George

The list would be pretty long depending on whether you use the word could buy or would buy.  But if money were not much of an issue, after getting a J-05 or other Larrivee jumbo, I'd look at the "Authentic" Martins, Goodall, Collings, Santa Cruz among others probably too numerous to mention.    :beer

J05 again,OM09 12 fret 12 string in maple,RI made JF30 in sunburst,JF30/12 in natural and sunburst,another OM03PA as a backup,my old OM10Koa an OMV03Koa.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I'd genuinely like to own either a Collings or a Huss & Dalton.  Or both.

Quote from: Walkerman on January 16, 2017, 10:41:46 AM
What "other maker" guitar would you buy.  Key word is buy ... so not like a pre war Martin, etc, but something you would spend your money on.

Me, I would like to get a Santa Cruz Firefly.  Someday I may.

Having met Richard Hoover and toured his shop with him, I got the feeling that his feelings about using the finest wood and dedication to detail  would be similar to Jean's.  There  is a 13 fret guitar, maybe an H13 ?  that I would love to try and maybe buy someday.

Have bought Martins, and plan to again. Have a Gibson J-45.  But would definitely like to own a Collings... haven't ever tried a Huss & Dalton, but assume they're wonderful as well. Also wouldn't mind having a Lowden, and, while we're dreaming, maybe an Olson... and one nice lefty composite guitar - but those are rare or non-existent.

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Anything I liked and could afford with a 24" scale, body I can hold comfortably, and sound I like.  So far, Larrivee has that tied up.  Having recently acquired a boat, a plastic (carbon fiber) guitar has made me reassess the sound I'm willing to work with.

Ed

I am pretty much done with wooden guitars.   Possibly a Martin 00-15, one of Ted's special orders with tort. binding.

For a couple years, I've been interested in finding the right Tippin or Froggy.  Problem is, I'm really happy with what I have and getting beyond (or parallel to) that is expensive. Two of my 3 high end acoustics were bought for less than 1/3 their new street price (I always keep an eye out for rare, incredible deals). My next will likely be whatever crazy deal I come across next.  I WANT a Froggy H, but no way do I feel I deserve to spend that, so I won't unless something amazing happens. Which it sometimes does due to a blend of luck and diligence.

I know what I'm not getting, and that would be Taylor or Martin (or anything composite).  Not that they're "bad", just that I like Larrivee better so if I'm going with something in that range, it's almost certainly going to be a Larrivee.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on January 17, 2017, 04:59:17 AM

I know what I'm not getting, and that would be Taylor or Martin (or anything composite).  Not that they're "bad", just that I like Larrivee better so if I'm going with something in that range, it's almost certainly going to be a Larrivee.

Nothing wrong with that - it's always good to know what you like and want. That's why all these different companies are in business - someone likes/wants what they're offering.

:thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Along with my Larrivees, I have a Goodall Rosewood Standard.  Every time I look around I just can't seem to find anything that floats my boat.  I just spent a few hours at Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette ( San Francisco East Bay).  He has all sorts of high end guitars on consignment.  I played a lot of boutique instruments, many brazilian rosewood.  Doerr, Sexauer, Hamblin, Goodall, etc. Some of these were over $10K.  Of course they all sounded great, and were beautifully finished.  But I brought my JCL 40th and my D10 Brazilian so I could compare, and decided I have guitars that sound as good as most anything out there.   I guess that's a good thing.   :smile:
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on January 17, 2017, 10:35:17 AM
Along with my Larrivees, I have a Goodall Rosewood Standard.  Every time I look around I just can't seem to find anything that floats my boat.  I just spent a few hours at Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette ( San Francisco East Bay).  He has all sorts of high end guitars on consignment.  I played a lot of boutique instruments, many brazilian rosewood.  Doerr, Sexauer, Hamblin, Goodall, etc. Some of these were over $10K.  Of course they all sounded great, and were beautifully finished.  But I brought my JCL 40th and my D10 Brazilian so I could compare, and decided I have guitars that sound as good as most anything out there.   I guess that's a good thing.   :smile:

Considering what's available, imho, paying 10K for a new guitar is merely a sign that you have too much money.  :beer

Actually, given the current US/CAD exchange rate, my next wooden guitar might well be calling up Ed Bond and ordering a Halcyon.

Maybe Walnut/Engelmann 00  ?

Quote from: georbro3 on January 16, 2017, 10:48:22 AM
I would like to make a trip to the Collings factory and see if I could find one that excelled and then buy it...  I already have Martins, Northwoods, Morgans and lots of Larrivee's, so I would like to buy something even more excellent... 
I've been to Collings three times. I also play at a once a month jam where they have more Collings guitars than I've ever seen. I bought a Larrivee OM-10e from them a few years ago.
    But in my view Collings is top shelf,  no mistakes leave their factory.  I'd like to have one and have been checking out some at Hill Country Guitars.  They also stock some Huss and Dalton guitars.  I've been to there facility as well,  very fine guitars and a flawless build.
     But with so many guitars that never even get played around my place,  I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 16, 2017, 10:18:11 PM
Have bought Martins, and plan to again. Have a Gibson J-54.  But would definitely like to own a Collings... haven't ever tried a Huss & Dalton, but assume they're wonderful as well. Also wouldn't mind having a Lowden, and, while we're dreaming, maybe an Olson... and one nice lefty composite guitar - but those are rare or non-existent.

don't you mean a J-45? Yes,  Huss and Dalton are right up there with Collings and SCGC.

Quote from: Walkerman on January 16, 2017, 10:41:46 AM
What "other maker" guitar would you buy.  Key word is buy ... so not like a pre war Martin, etc, but something you would spend your money on.

Me, I would like to get a Santa Cruz Firefly.  Someday I may.
I  had a 1939 Martin,  wasn't as impressed with it as with my 1992 OM- 21, which I never should have let go.

Like many of you, I am pretty happy with what I have, and since I'm only a mid-level player, I would find it hard to justify another guitar, especially a relatively expensive one.  If I played professionally and felt a need for a certain sound and comfort level of playing, I might be more apt to buy one to fill a need I couldn't already meet now.

That said, there are some body styles I haven't played and would like to try.  I'm particularly interested in trying some 000 guitars with both 12 and 14-fret necks to see what they are all about and if they are noticeably different from my 2 L models and my OM-03.  Brands I would try would be Larivee, Martin and Collings.  I've heard nothing but good things about Collings guitars so I would investigate any of their models except dreads.  I'm not a huge dreadnaught fan.

I'm hoping to satisfy my curiosity about the 000 size by trying to make one later this year, after I complete my "tele-gib".  It will have khaya back and sides, sitka top, 14-fret neck in a Gibson scale length.  Not sure what bracing pattern it will have but I'm leaning toward cloning a classic martin bracing pattern.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on January 18, 2017, 12:50:15 AM
Like many of you, I am pretty happy with what I have, and since I'm only a mid-level player, I would find it hard to justify another guitar, especially a relatively expensive one.  If I played professionally and felt a need for a certain sound and comfort level of playing, I might be more apt to buy one to fill a need I couldn't already meet now.

That said, there are some body styles I haven't played and would like to try.  I'm particularly interested in trying some 000 guitars with both 12 and 14-fret necks to see what they are all about and if they are noticeably different from my 2 L models and my OM-03.  Brands I would try would be Larivee, Martin and Collings.  I've heard nothing but good things about Collings guitars so I would investigate any of their models except dreads.  I'm not a huge dreadnaught fan.

I'm hoping to satisfy my curiosity about the 000 size by trying to make one later this year, after I complete my "tele-gib".  It will have khaya back and sides, sitka top, 14-fret neck in a Gibson scale length.  Not sure what bracing pattern it will have but I'm leaning toward cloning a classic martin bracing pattern.
That's a good plan. I think you know I took apart a 000 all hog Harmony and rebuilt it, from the inside out.  It's becoming a regular in my rotation and I do play it at jams.  Looks nothing like a Harmony now and folks ask me if I made it.  In a way I feel like I did.