Which would you buy

Started by Walkerman, January 16, 2017, 10:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bourgeois OM (maybe)

but since finding Larrivee I've found the sound I'm looking for. Honestly with everything a Larrivee offers I don't see the need in paying any higher than the higher priced Larrivee's because honestly at that point your nuts spending more. I guess maybe if you have money to blow, your a collector, prefer a design or prefer a distinct sound that another brand might have.

But like I said I think with what Larrivee does just can't be beat. Some people suffer from a serious condition known as FOBO - Fear of Better Options lol. Seen a commercial over the holidays saying this and couldn't help but laugh.

2014 Larrivee LV-03E Mahogany
2012 Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11
2016 Reverend BC-1 Billy Corgan Sig
2008 Fender Stratocaster MIM
2004 Ibanez SA220QM
1968 Hagstrom lll
1966 Fender Mustang
1965 Fender Jaguar
1964 Fender Jazzmaster

Quote from: KK17 on January 18, 2017, 03:56:28 AM
Bourgeois OM (maybe)

but since finding Larrivee I've found the sound I'm looking for. Honestly with everything a Larrivee offers I don't see the need in paying any higher than the higher priced Larrivee's because honestly at that point your nuts spending more. I guess maybe if you have money to blow, your a collector, prefer a design or prefer a distinct sound that another brand might have.

But like I said I think with what Larrivee does just can't be beat. Some people suffer from a serious condition known as FOBO - Fear of Better Options lol. Seen a commercial over the holidays saying this and couldn't help but laugh.

Don't be a victim of "overthinking syndrome"?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Taylor 8 string Baritone
Rainsong 12 string
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I've had my sights on a Taylor 12 string for a few months now, either a lowly (but hopefully sturdy) 254ce DLX or (if the planets and stars align and angels come down from Heaven Above) a 458e-R.

I'd like another Martin dread in rosewood, either a GC MMV, HD-28V or HD-35. Someday...

Finally, on my bucket list is to commission a McKnight custom. I need to work HARD to make that happen.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on January 18, 2017, 03:23:48 PM
I've had my sights on a Taylor 12 string for a few months now, either a lowly (but hopefully sturdy) 254ce DLX or (if the planets and stars align and angels come down from Heaven Above) a 458e-R.

I'd like another Martin dread in rosewood, either a GC MMV, HD-28V or HD-35. Someday...

Finally, on my bucket list is to commission a McKnight custom. I need to work HARD to make that happen.

The GC MMV custom models made for Guitar Center are very often overlooked and under-rated guitars.  I have both the Dread and the OOO and I believe they are the best value to be found in any Martin model under 2k and even better when on sale.  The mortise and tenon neck set does not bother me a bit and does not seem to impact the tonal quality nor projection any differently from every other Martin I have heard or played...
George

Quote from: georbro3 on January 18, 2017, 04:55:00 PM
The GC MMV custom models made for Guitar Center are very often overlooked and under-rated guitars.  I have both the Dread and the OOO and I believe they are the best value to be found in any Martin model under 2k and even better when on sale.  The mortise and tenon neck set does not bother me a bit and does not seem to impact the tonal quality nor projection any differently from every other Martin I have heard or played...

I agree. I've tried several of the dreads and they always outshine the HD-28s hanging nearby. I have a D-16GT with the (now old style) MT neck joint (they now use a "simple" dovetail) and have no qualms about it. I've also rarely seen an MMV come up on the used market anymore. Back in the day they could be found for under $800. Now, the only option is for new at nearly twice that.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on January 18, 2017, 04:11:56 AM
Don't be a victim of "overthinking syndrome"?

:thumb
2014 Larrivee LV-03E Mahogany
2012 Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11
2016 Reverend BC-1 Billy Corgan Sig
2008 Fender Stratocaster MIM
2004 Ibanez SA220QM
1968 Hagstrom lll
1966 Fender Mustang
1965 Fender Jaguar
1964 Fender Jazzmaster

Quote from: kwakatak on January 19, 2017, 10:32:01 PM
I have a D-16GT
Back in 2003 when I bought my Larrivee D03BW, I almost bought one of these.  I really loved the feel and the huge sound it had, and the gloss top was cool too.  But the road-less-traveled appeal of the Larrivee finally grabbed me and my wallet.  The D16GT was almost $1000 even then, and I only gave $600 for the Larrivee.  But still, I've thought of that Martin often.

From my point of view and experience the 16 series (and I'm not saying they're bad) and below, for the most part, are Martins in name only. Unlike Larrivee, no high end guitar makers know how to make, or would even conceive of making, a less expensive guitar that is as good as their best guitars.  

Quote from: Danny on January 18, 2017, 12:25:14 AM
don't you mean a J-45?

Yep. Corrected - thanks, Danny.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

If somebody had asked me this question a year ago, I would have told them that I've always wanted a Larrivee.  Now that the dream has been fulfilled, my next move will be to a classical guitar to upgrade the one I bought in 1979.  I'd be starting at square one on that... not sure who's product I'd go for.  I'd put a cap on the price at around $2000 CDN.
Ross J.
Keswick, Ontario, Canada

Larrivee LV-03 (Maple Leaf Inlays) - 2016
Simon & Patrick Quilted Maple Dreadnaught - 1995
Seagull Artist "Tuxedo Black" - 2021
S. Yairi Classical - 1979

...and lots of harmonicas!

Quote from: Bosco Bear on January 27, 2017, 11:54:49 AM
If somebody had asked me this question a year ago, I would have told them that I've always wanted a Larrivee.  Now that the dream has been fulfilled, my next move will be to a classical guitar to upgrade the one I bought in 1979.  I'd be starting at square one on that... not sure who's product I'd go for.  I'd put a cap on the price at around $2000 CDN.

You might be able to find a used Larrivee classical for that price. I saw an 03 series Larrivee classical listed somewhere recently (Reverb or E-bay?) for $1,000. That's a great deal.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I'd still like a plastic guitar to leave in the truck.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I'm very impressed with the older Alvarez Yairi guitars from the 1980's and early 90's. I wouldn't buy one made after 1996.  They are OK, but the vintage ones were made when  Kazuo Yairi was actively involved in production.

Here's a DY 74 made in 1992. Nearly identical to mine. Except mine has a cut away.
https://youtu.be/bwzen_YbOe4

A vintage one from that era will cost between $600 to 900. Depends on the condition, model and year. I have a DY 74C from 1990. The tone is the best I've heard in this price range. Plays like butter. I'd never sell it.

I love my Larrivee D-09, but it costs a lot more. It's a premium guitar and sounds like one.

🍩🍩🍩

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Quote from: Crocefan4life on January 28, 2017, 12:18:26 AM
I'm very impressed with the older Alvarez Yairi guitars from the 1980's and early 90's. I wouldn't buy one made after 1996.  They are OK, but the vintage ones were made when  Kazuo Yairi was actively involved in production.

Here's a DY 74 made in 1992. Nearly identical to mine. Except mine has a cut away.
https://youtu.be/bwzen_YbOe4

A vintage one from that era will cost between $600 to 900. Depends on the condition, model and year. I have a DY 74C from 1990. The tone is the best I've heard in this price range. Plays like butter. I'd never sell it.

I love my Larrivee D-09, but it costs a lot more. It's a premium guitar and sounds like one.

🍩🍩🍩

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I always thought Yairis were great guitars, though pretty rare to come across in person.  I'll see a gem of a deal on them at a guitar show now and then.

Quote from: B0WIE on January 17, 2017, 04:59:17 AM
For a couple years, I've been interested in finding the right Tippin or Froggy.  
Well.... this happened a lot sooner than expected....   :whistling:
I wasn't particularly itching for a new guitar, just decided to sell my SD50 because I have 3 SD/DS types.  Told myself that I'd someday replace it with a smaller body, maybe that Froggy I always wanted.  Saw a good deal and before I knew it, whoops...  Now, it's time to start selling any extra stuff I'm not using.  A couple guitars, microphones, car parts, a kidney.  :crying:
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on January 31, 2017, 03:53:07 PM
Well.... this happened a lot sooner than expected....   :whistling:
I wasn't particularly itching for a new guitar, just decided to sell my SD50 because I have 3 SD/DS types.  Told myself that I'd someday replace it with a smaller body, maybe that Froggy I always wanted.  Saw a good deal and before I knew it, whoops...  Now, it's time to start selling any extra stuff I'm not using.  A couple guitars, microphones, car parts, a kidney.  :crying:
Well, what did you get?

Quote from: Danny on January 31, 2017, 03:56:58 PM
Well, what did you get?
An H12 Deluxe.  2003 (I like my adirondack to have some age on it).  It's essentially a 000 in Adi/EIR.
I got it from Gryphon but I found an ad on Reverb from last year where it sold for $500 more than what I paid so I feel better about the purchase.  Apparently, it was sent to Froggy Bottom last year for a check-up and they worked the frets and gave it a new nut and saddle.  $400 in work.  Can't beat that!  Nice to know that the maker himself went over it 13 years later and gave it his thumbs-up.  I had that experience once before with a used guitar and it takes a lot of the uncertainty out of buying used.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Nice grain! The picture is bigger than the guitar, however.   :smile: