What a blast from the past.....

Started by fitness1, January 13, 2017, 10:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A guy I used to work with back in the record store days posted a photo this morning that really got to me.....probably fall of '79.    I was a senior in high school working at the store (little did I know 8 years later I'd be in the same chain in another town)  This really takes me back to a fun time in my life - working 30 hours, playing in the band on weekends, gas 50 cents a gallon. At one point the lady that did the accounting asked me if I had some checks I hadn't cashed....."well, yes, I have 9 checks in my box at home"   Times were good.....

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

I remember working in record store's thank goodness no photo's are available any longer. :whistling:

I still have a plastic RCA dog that followed me home one night. :wink:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on January 13, 2017, 11:25:20 AM

I still have a plastic RCA dog that followed me home one night. :wink:

Yes there were lots of perks.......I didn't pay for many concert tickets in my years there and got to meet a lot of artists.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Working in a record store perks? I got a discount on music which meant I ended up giving a little less of my pay check back to the boss every two weeks.  :?

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 13, 2017, 11:57:48 AM
Working in a record store perks? I got a discount on music which meant I ended up giving a little less of my pay check back to the boss every two weeks.  :?

Well, there was that too :laughin:

I still have a 3 very large tubes of promo posters from back in the day.   I just realized while thinking about all of that that it will be 30 years tomorrow that I left the store and started in the fitness business......damn......
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Love the poster of the Wilson sisters... do you have that one?   :drool: :arrow
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 13, 2017, 12:49:32 PM
Love the poster of the Wilson sisters... do you have that one?   :drool: :arrow

Haha - no - Bebe Le Strange.   Yes, that wasn't hard to look at!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Quote from: fitness1 on January 13, 2017, 12:05:30 PM
Well, there was that too :laughin:

I still have a 3 very large tubes of promo posters from back in the day.   I just realized while thinking about all of that that it will be 30 years tomorrow that I left the store and started in the fitness business......damn......

I worked for a very large chain and there was a room in the basement of the tape store where all the cutouts were stored. Thousands upon thousands. No one seemed to care about them I may have helped myself to a large number of them. Mostly crap, after all most were cut out for good reason but a few gems.   :whistling:   

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 13, 2017, 02:12:38 PM
I worked for a very large chain and there was a room in the basement of the tape store where all the cutouts were stored. Thousands upon thousands. No one seemed to care about them I may have helped myself to a large number of them. Mostly crap, after all most were cut out for good reason but a few gems.   :whistling:   

Never knew what you'd find in those 99 cent bins - first place I headed when I traveled to stores in other locales..... :thumb
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

I worked in a music store in El Paso, TX way back in the 1960's for just a few months before I went off to college.  We sold records and Fender electric guitars (at least those I remember, if there were other brands I was oblivious to it!).  45 rpm vinyl records were still the most popular single back in that day.  Had to keep them sorted in correct alphabetical order for Mr. Salzman.  Can't remember too much more... 

except that I still wish I had not sold my '65 Fender Telecaster I had purchased from that store!
George

Quote from: georbro3 on January 13, 2017, 02:42:07 PM
I worked in a music store in El Paso, TX way back in the 1960's for just a few months before I went off to college.  We sold records and Fender electric guitars (at least those I remember, if there were other brands I was oblivious to it!).  45 rpm vinyl records were still the most popular single back in that day.  Had to keep them sorted in correct alphabetical order for Mr. Salzman.  Can't remember too much more...

Yes - we had a section for the top 50 singles displayed on 45's.  Had to change it every week while doing inventory.
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

I bought some really cool cut outs.My fav's were the 3 Ron Wood LP's still have them and a bunch of 45's.Also got some cool vinyl over clay,a pix disc from the 40's all girl big band,Ricky Recardo doing bob a lu.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 13, 2017, 02:12:38 PM
Almost every piece of vinyl I own and the cassettes after that and the CDs after that are cutouts. Many I purchased just because of cover art. Some have become lifetime favorites. Adrian Belew's "Twang Bar King" comes to mind immediately.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 13, 2017, 11:58:20 PM
Almost every piece of vinyl I own and the cassettes after that and the CDs after that are cutouts. Many I purchased just because of cover art. Some have become lifetime favorites. Adrian Belew's "Twang Bar King" comes to mind immediately.

One of the biggest mysteries ever was, when they put an end to vinyl*, where were all the cutouts?

*not that they totally did.