Taylor C.S.

Started by unclrob, March 14, 2017, 01:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK I know that there not the most popular guitar here and many dislike them me included BUT GREAT C.S..I have a clients Taylor AB1bass in for a crack repair also she needs a value for insurance and they were fast and friendly even though I told them I'm not a fan.So once more KUDO'S I love companies that respond to my call's. :thumb
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Do you know what people don't like about their guitars ? The look, the more modern sound, the hi-tech building process ? A bit of everything ?

I ask because I tried one of the new 322e and thought it was quite a good balanced and warm tone, quite different than the reputation their guitars generally have. Maybe they got better, maybe I'm deaf or I found the exception. In my buying process, I excluded Taylor guitars maybe unfairly... Yet I am not tempted to buy one either !

Quote from: Krugie_Mtl on March 14, 2017, 04:47:26 PM

I ask because I tried one of the new 322e and thought it was quite a good balanced and warm tone, quite different than the reputation their guitars generally have.

I also really like the 322, and generally any of the Mahogany or Cedar topped Taylors I have played.  The spruce ones are IMO, somewhat thin and trebely sounding.  That includes the one I own as well.

This is how I explain Taylors,There strait's easy to play comfy for most {I don't mean to offend with his statement}uptown girl kinda of cute but not a working person.

Me I'm a tele guy working man ya the legs broken but its ok send me in coach
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I'm another person who has not been a fan of the tone, although you have to give them kudos for their build quality and easy playability (one of the things that made Taylors popular with the electric guitar crowd in the early years).

But in the last few years they've been up-ing their game in the tone department - they really are trying to make guitars with great acoustic tone, not just great plugged-in tone. Some of the recent ones I've played have still seemed somewhat so-so in that department, but others have sounded pretty good. Still different than Martin, but I don't think that's their target anyway.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I've had a few Taylors, one of which was a jumbo birds eye maple, (or big leaf maple) with a special spruce top. It was a custom order and when I opened the case around players the oohs and ahhs began. It was the best looking guitar I ever owned. I think it was a 615 with a Florentine cutaway. But the sound didn't compare to a nice Gibson maple southern jumbo.

As far as CS goes Larrivee has been the best that I know of.

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 15, 2017, 09:29:28 AM

But in the last few years they've been up-ing their game in the tone department - they really are trying to make guitars with great acoustic tone, not just great plugged-in tone. Some of the recent ones I've played have still seemed somewhat so-so in that department, but others have sounded pretty good.

Taylor recently (a few years back) revoiced their higher end lines, starting with the 700 and 800 series.  "Revoiced" = changed their bracing. The other thing they did, was last year they finally stopped using 80/20 strings and started shipping with PB stings like almost every other manufacturer.  The revoicing has been moving down into the mid lines as well.  The new 600 series sounds pretty impressive IMO.

The exception to the new strings are their 12-strings which are still 80/20s.   I don't know if it's the strings, or the "Taylor Sound" but the new Taylor 150's are the worst sounding 12-strings I have ever heard.